Santa Caterina is a distinctive and beautiful holiday home that has been restored with a rare appreciation of the simplicity and charm of the original ‘saracen’ trulli. What sets this house apart from others is the outstanding view of the sea over olive groves, the attractive garden veranda and the stylish yet simple interiors. The spacious garden, quiet courtyard and the generous swimming pool are perfect for outdoor living.
Situated between the two historic cities of Ostuni and Carovigno, it is in an ideal location for exploring all the delights of the Puglia area.
The house is equipped for relaxing in the shade and eating outside, whether on the roof terrace, the courtyard or veranda. Serious cooking is also possible with a proper selection of pans, utensils and local cook books. There is a BBQ in the garden.
Despite the heat in July and August the fact that the house stands at 300m means that there is often a sea breeze.
The original two bedrooms are light and airy high vaulted rooms with their own bathrooms and air conditioning. Recently we have added a third room to the side of the house - in the old style - that is used as a third bedroom or a second sitting room.. It has its own bathroom and air conditioning.
Santa Caterina is a distinctive and beautiful holiday home that has been restored with a rare appreciation of the simplicity and charm of the original ‘saracen’ trulli. Saracen trulli have the same vaulted interiors as those with the conical roofs but the roof is either domed or flat. Our lovely trulli was improved about 100 years ago by the addition of a more imposing front elevation. In the restoration from a ruin 10 years ago the windows were added and the two trulli joined with a stone arch to create the kitchen/dining area and the sitting room. Since then we have added a further bedroom in the local style.
All the bedrooms are light and airy high vaulted rooms and two have their own shower room with toilet, bidet and sink - all have air conditioning.
The kitchen includes a gas hob and electric oven as well as a proper range of saucepans and implements. The crockery is from Grottaglie with a classic local design. There is a designer Italian dining table and chairs in the kitchen - fine for 4 or 5 but the table can easily be altered to take 8 in comfort.
The sitting room has a comfortable Danish sofa and plenty of other seats with Moroccan influenced cushions.
The veranda has a stone table with large stone benches (and cushions). It is covered to provide shade from the midday sun and is also a perfect place to dine in the warm summer evenings. On the roof terrace there is also a stone sofa as well as a table and chairs – perfect for romantic dining.
On the other side there is a quiet courtyard with a curved stone seat framed by bougainvillea. The courtyard also has a dining table and chairs suitable for up to 8 dining.
The individually designed swimming pool is entered from large steps from one side (the first being very wide and only a few cm deep for children to play on) and on the other there is a sunken seating area. The pool is 10m x 4m and the depth runs from 1m to 3m.
Around the property there are no other buildings close. The garden of the property is large and there is also an orchard adjoining which can be used by residents. The land around is otherwise either olive or almond groves. The track to the property is a dead end with a group of three villas further down on the opposite side of the road. There is therefore no traffic danger or noise.
Santa Caterina has been carefully designed to create high quality accommodation in a visually stunning setting.
N.B. This property is less suitable for small children who cannot swim as the pool is only fenced on one side. There is an alarm for a child in the form of a wearable wrist sensor further details below.
• Welcome pack which includes enough for a simple supper and breakfast (including two bottles of wine)
• Weekly Linen change - beds made for you of course
• Linen, Towels and Pool Towels
• Electricity, Water, Gas for cooking
• Swimming Pool with Loungers
• Covered seating area
• Second dining area - seating for up to 8
• Television & DVD player
* WiFi - hi speed unlimited included
• Bose sound system
• Private Entrance and Parking
• Washing and Ironing Facilities
• Master suite double bed and en suite shower room
• Second Bedroom with en suite shower room with space for an extra bed. This bed is a narrow single but is suitable for an adult or child. This is NOT a cheap Zbed but a Danish designer creation. The two singles can be made up as a double.
• Third bedroom can made up as a sitting room with coffee tables and two large comfortable sofas. This would be done automatically if there were 4 or less occupants. It has its own bathroom with WC, basin and shower enclosure (complete with radio).
• All mattresses have memory foam toppers
• Kitchen/Dining room with seating for 4 -8
• Kitchen equipped with hob & oven, fridge/freezer and dishwasher
• Washing machine
• Sitting room with comfortable sofa (converts to full size double bed but we do not usually allow more than 7 people + baby), other seating and original fireplace.
• Television & DVD player
• Sound system
• iPod player
• Private parking and gates
• Swimming Pool with sun loungers
• Covered dining area
• Secluded sitting area beside house
• Barbecue facilities
• Roof terrace with stone sofa as well as table and chairs
• Wonderful views from the roof, the pool, the dining area.
Children facilities include:
• Cot available together with high chair
• Car seat (2x)
• Child's swing
• Other useful items including a couple of toys, plastic plate, cutlery and a potty.
For the pool safety the gate can be closed but the fence can be circumvented by walking round the other way - out into the car parking area and back across part of the garden, or climbing over the wall around the stone table on the veranda. For this reason we have a device that a child can wear all day ( like a watch) and that, if wetted, causes a very load alarm to sound in the house.
The other safety point is the roof. The outside staircase is rudimentary and the parapet on the roof fairly low so we do not allow small children up the stairs. There is of course a rope rail so that it is fine for all but toddlers.