Welcome! Whalley Lake is a perfect choice for your vacation. This is a small'ish lake with great fishing, great swimming and impressive views.
The new lake house has 3 full bathrooms and 4 furnished bedrooms that sleep 12 happy cottagers (additional charges apply for groups larger than 8).
Check out the kitchen! It's chef's dream kitchen: stainless steel appliances include an ice dispenser, full gas range, dishwasher and microwave as well as a coffee maker to start your day right (will accommodate individual single service coffee/tea pods).
Two kayaks and one canoe are included in cottage rental.
Here are some details about the sleeping arrangements:
- all bedding is provided
- Master Bedroom/Ensuite: 1 king size bed
- Room 2: 1 set of bunk beds and 1 queen size bed
- Room 3: 1 queen size bed
- Lower level Room 4: 1 double bed, 2 single beds
We are equipped with internet, satellite tv and DVD player and a bookcase full of games, puzzles, movies and books.
The front porch offers shade all day and the back deck is large and a great place to hang out or eat meals. It has a clear view to the dock and great views of the lake. There's a fire pit for great evenings around a fire (please check the fire restriction signs before starting a fire). Bring your own wood.
At the waterfront, you can spend the day in the sunshine or shade. For the 2018 season, the waterfront area has been landscaped and there is a comfortable level area to enjoy the lake view and supervise young swimmers. The hammocks are a perfect place to catch a nap or catch up on some reading. The property is fairly level (making it mobility friendly - those with some mobility issues can avoid the deck stairs by walking around the side of the house and enjoy lake views from the lawn area) with stairs down to the dock area,
The charming town of Magnetewan is a quick 7-minute drive, featuring a small grocery store, a tiny bakery, hardware store, LCBO and golf course. If you're here on a Saturday morning, the farmer's market is worth a visit. It features local businesses from woodworkers to farmers to live music. There's also a bait and tackle store even closer to home .... just across from Whalley Lake. For the adventurous (kid friendly): consider taking the kayak under the Hwy 124 bridge and pulling up the kayaks behind the Bait & Tackle. They sell more than just bait and gas ... yummy Kawartha ice cream and other treats.
We are located 2 1/2 hours from Toronto, 40 minutes from Parry Sound and 20 minutes from Sundridge. Well worth the trip to a week of relaxation and fun.
Some tips for a great vacation:
1. We are on well water here - no need to bring bottled water unless it is your preference.
2. We are on a septic system, please don't flush ANYTHING more than toilet paper. *DO NOT flush any feminine hygiene products down the toilet.
3. Whalley Lake is usually calm and quiet - perfect for exploring by canoe or kayak. If you are bringing a small fishing boat with you, there is a public launch available. Don't forget to bring your personal flotation devices - 1 life jacket for each person in the boat, an emergency kit and your Pleasure Craft Operator Card.
4. Remember to bring a fishing license if you are between 18 and 64 if you intend to try fishing from the dock or boat.
5. If you are planning to spend some time with at the lake house in the winter, lucky you! Over 150 km of excellent groomed OFSC trails fan out from Magnetawan in all directions joining with the main OFSC trail network. The Magnetawan Ridge Runners have built, maintained, groomed and continue to improve over 153 km of snowmobile trails.
6. For our spring or fall guests, check out the Magnetewan town website for details on hiking or biking trails.