Tiny Terlingua is just a few minutes from the heart of the Ghosttown. The house is tucked away on the corner of a five acre property with plenty of room for viewing the night sky and enjoying a bit of privacy.
Tiny Terlingua is a solar powered mini-home featuring a small kitchen, an upstairs loft bedroom, downstairs sleeper futon and a separate bathhouse. There is an air conditioner in the house and a swamp cooler in the bathhouse. The wrap around porch provides all-day shade for the house and outdoor living space.
KITCHEN - The kitchen area is small but has everything you'll need for a short stay - a three burner propane cooktop, a copper farmhouse vessel sink and a mini fridge. A coffee percolator / water kettle is provided as well as a french press for making coffee or tea. Coffee by Big Bend Roasters and a selection of teas are also provided. There are drinking glasses, coffee mugs, small plates, bowls, some flatware, a stainless steel skillet, a small pot and cooking utensils. There is also an outside stove and a grill.
LOFT - The bedroom is an upstairs loft which is accessible by ladder. Watch the stars from a super comfy full size mattress with big fluffy pillows. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ARE COMFORTABLE CLIMBING A LADDER BEFORE BOOKING THIS RENTAL. Climbing in and out of the loft bed on a narrow, steep ladder requires agility and balance. See the photos in this listing and consider whether you will be able to climb up and down from the loft without putting yourself in danger. There is a twin-size futon downstairs for lounging or for sleeping another guest. Additional pillows and sheets for the futon are available upon request.
BATHHOUSE - The bathroom is a separate building just a short walk from the house. Custom vanity, large rainshower and an evaporative cooler make this bathhouse super comfortable. Its just as big as the house! Towels and handsoap are provided but please bring your own shampoo, soap, etc.
OUTSIDE - Although there are solar lights positioned around the house outside, I strongly advise bringing a flashlight to get around after dark.
SOLAR POWER - The house is solar-powered and requires some management from guests in order to keep everything working continuously: turning lights off when not in use, turning the swamp cooler off when not in use and keeping the AC set at a low fan setting and higher temp when guests are not there.
I live on the opposite side of the property and am available anytime for questions about the area.
Other Things to Note:
- Tiny Terlingua is located on a bumpy dirt road but is accessible by most vehicles if traveled slowly.
- I share my space with two dogs. Monkey is an 9 year old black mouth cur weighing about 50 pounds. Kutsy is a two year old husky ridgeback mix weighing about 30 pounds. They are both shy but friendly when they warm up to you. They may bark at you but are both big scaredy cats.
- Smoking is allowed but only outside. Please dispose of your cigarette butts in the ashtray provided,
- Must climb stairs - There is a sliding library ladder to access the bedroom loft.
Terlingua Ghosttown, Starlight Theatre, Terlingua Trading Post and Posada Milagro Coffee Shop are all a short drive from the house or a pleasant fifteen minute walk. The entrance to Big Bend National Park is about twenty minutes away and Big Bend Ranch State Park HQ is twenty minutes in the other direction. The Cottonwood Store is our local grocery store and carries just about anything you could need. Its a ten minute drive from the house.
CANCELLATION/EARLY CHECKOUT POLICY:
I have a NO REFUND policy for early checkouts and cancellations once you have arrived. The reason for this policy is that when you place the reservation you are "buying" the time at Tiny Terlingua and the dates are removed from the market for any other potential guests. An early checkout leaves me in a position where it is extremely difficult to rebook the remaining dates, thereby losing income. This is my business and my livelihood and last minute refunds have a substantial impact on that business.
This policy includes but is not limited to:
- Lack of understanding on your part about the house and its amenities (it is clearly stated in the description). If you have doubts or are confused about how to operate something, just ask. I’m only a text away.
- Weather issues. I am not responsible for heat, cold, rain, snow, etc. Please don’t hold me accountable for them.
- Health issues. While I am sympathetic to someone becoming ill while they are here, I cannot be held financially responsible for that illness. There are no “sick days” in this business.
- Family issues. Ditto. There are no “personal days” in this business.
- Creepy crawlies. Tiny Terlingua, as most homes located in rural areas, is subject to occasional invasion by flies, bees, wasps, ants and bugs in general. I ask that, if you are feeling invaded by such critters, please allow me to manage the problem before deciding to leave and waging refund war against me. Usually, given a short period of time, I can make them go away.
While I am fairly strict about this policy, I do understand that things happen and I’m not a complete hard-ass. So, if I am able to rebook the dates you are cancelling, I am absolutely willing to refund the difference and I have in many cases. This is not a guarantee but only a possibility. And, there will be a $25 fee associated with the management of your last minute cancellation.
I sincerely hope that you enjoy your stay at Tiny Terlingua and are satisfied with your choice to stay here. However, if things run amuck for whatever reason, let’s try to work it out like adults and communicate clearly in an attempt to appease both parties.