WHAT’S UP WITH VOLCANO?
Our little Volcano Village is the perfect spot to relax. Slightly cooler with less humidity and vog than most of the island, it’s a hidden rainforest retreat! Volcano Village is a small town just Hilo side of Volcanoes National Park. While the park is the major attraction, Volcano is a beautiful little artist community and great resting spot for seeing the east side of the island with it's rainforest, orchid gardens, winery, hiking trails, farmers markets -- it's simply an amazing place. PLUS, we have some great tips on seeing some lava from a very safe distance. We hope you will come discover it for yourself, and love it just as much as we do!
Now, a little about the tiny house -- it is such a cute little oasis you will not want to miss!
Blue is completely off-grid. Electric is by solar and water is by catchment. There is a decent cell phone signal, and we’re working on internet. In the meantime, unplug and unwind! Enjoy some wine by the fire and a little meditative garden time in the rainforest!
BEFORE YOU BOOK
Lil Blue is unique. Please read the section below, just to make sure it’s the right special place for you!
1. Accessibility. Blue is a “traditional” tiny house in that it has a lofted bedroom. To get to the bedroom you will have to climb some narrow steps (but they are steps - not a ladder!). There are also two steps from the ground to the lanai to reach the front door.
2. Water. We put the rainforest to good use! Rainwater is collected and used to run the house, which is perfect for showering and doing dishes, but not for drinking. Bottles of drinking water are provided.
3. Lighting. All our electricity comes from the sun. The batteries charge up during the day and are stored for use at night. Turning off lights or electronics when not in use will help the energy last. We do ask no hairdryers or curling irons due to their heavy load on the system.
4. Temperature. At 3,500 feet, Volcano can be a bit wet, and the temperature is about 10-15 degrees cooler than at the coast. We find it refreshing — a break from the heat and humidity! Lil Blue does not have an indoor heater, but there is a fire pit on the lanai and the house itself is insulated. Our daytime temperatures are wonderfully mild, so just open the windows and doors for a refreshing breeze. There is a ceiling fan if you are worried about getting too warm!
The Big Island has 10 of the world’s 14 climate zones. It is always wise to dress in layers and to bring a light jacket, especially if you are visiting Volcanoes National Park at night (and you should visit at night!).
5. Location. Located on just over 1/2 of an acre surrounded by Ohio trees, hapu’u ferns, and lots of ti and hibiscus. There are few lights, which means spectacular stargazing when the sky is clear. Headlamps are provided for those late night hikes, and motion sensing lights guide you along the lanai.
6. Connectivity. Time to let go of all your wires and obligations! We are still working on wifi, but there is good internet single with Verizon (we have not tried other carriers) We do have a small TV and DVD player for evening electronic entertainment. You can rent recent titles at the Lower Store in Volcano Village or at the Red Box at the Foodland in Kea’au. A bluetooth speaker will let you hook up and play your tunes wire free.
6. Wildlife. All of Volcano is a rainforest and with it comes wildlife. There are lots of birds in our forest, including pheasants which like to wander around in little packs. You’ll see them along the road and sometimes in the yard. They are fun to watch!
Some features of Lil Blue:
• House is situated on the lot to provide maximum privacy
• Spacious lanai with fire pit, grill, and outdoor dining area
• Ample Parking
• Headlamps for nighttime exploring
• Guidebooks, magazines, and various other reading material
• Board games (be a kid again!)
• Outlets (3-prong and USB)
• Cooktop, refrigerator/freezer, and outdoor grill
• Cooking basics including coffee, tea, sugar, pancake mix, farm fresh local eggs when available, pasta and rice, oil and vinegar, water, sweet treats, and a welcome bottle of wine.
• French press, percolator, and Italian espresso coffee makers and tea kettle
• California king size bed with clean linens
• Twin size futon-style couch with extra blankets
• HD TV and bluray DVD player
• Screened windows
• Good cell service
• Bathroom with real toilet (no composting toilet!), shower and small sink
• Toiletries, including shampoo, conditioner, and body wash
• Bath and beach towels
• Wave board and miscellaneous beach equipment
• Safe for your valuables
You will have your own key and have the whole place to yourself. Your own tiny Hawaiian paradise.
We live in Volcano and would love to welcome you to your new home. Our past interaction with guests has ranged from sharing dinner and wine, to hardly seeing them at all! Wherever you fall on the spectrum, if you need anything during your stay, we're just a phone call or text away.
Other Things to Note:
We prefer 2 night or longer stays (you really need that time to explore the area!), but will consider one-nights. If you're visiting the volcano and don't want to drive back late at night, please message us to check availability! We would love to host you for an evening.
There are some small, convenience-style stores in Volcano, but you might want to pick up some groceries before you arrive. There is also a farmer stand which does custom orders you can schedule ahead of time and pickup the day you arrive. If you are interested in this service, please let us know and we will send you the brochure. We do have a nice selection of cooking basics offered free of charge. Please ask us if you need a complete list.
We welcome everyone and would love to have you stay with us!
Looking for something slightly larger? Please see our other rental property, Hau‘oli Place (the Happy Place!) which comfortably sleeps 4, or Puolani Iki which sleeps 3.
Wanna go even smaller? Check out Hale Iki (a tiny house in Volcano!).
*All prices included Hawaii GET tax of 4.166% and Hawaii Transit Accommodations Tax of 10.25%. You will receive a line itemized invoiced upon checkin. Mahalo!
Lil Blue is located 35 minutes from Hilo and about 2 hours from Kona. It’s in a quiet neighborhood on about 1/2 of an acre, surrounded by lush rainforest and lots of native plants.
Just across the highway is Volcano Village where you will find several restaurants, a community center, Volcano Art Gallery, and the wonderful early morning Sunday Volcano Farmers Market.
Though only three miles from the entrance to Volcanoes National Park, we are in a very safe area and are fortunate to be upwind from the crater, typically providing very good air quality.
This is a big island and a rental car is required to get the most out of your experience.