About the property
- House860 sqft
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay4 - 7 nights
House, 2 Bedrooms + Convertible bed(s), 2 Baths, (Sleeps 4-6)
Time to relax at this beautiful 2 bedroom, 2 bath waterfront vacation home. This Key West style stilt home features a 35' concrete seawall for docking your boat, equipped with dockposts, cleats, a fish cleaning table, fresh water rinse down and fresh water outdoor shower.
The living room is nicely decorated and has a queen sleeper sofa and love seat, 40' flat screen, 140 channel expanded cable with HBO, Stream Piks on Demand, and a stereo system. The kitchen features a full line of appliances and accessories including a center island with bar stools. The dining room has seating for 6 with additional seating for 4 on the covered deck for a waterfront dining experience. The Master bedroom has a queen bed and private bath while the guest room has a 32" flat screen with a DVD player, queen bed and private balcony.
After a day out on the water, relax in the cool breezes downstairs and enjoy the open air patio or sit out by the waters edge and soak up the sun. Additional amenities include dishwasher, gas grill, washer/dryer, central heat & air and free use of canoe.
'The Bug Shack'' (named after the beloved Florida spiney lobster, aka: big) is located in a resort community on Cudjoe Key, just 20 minutes from Key West and the beautiful Bahia Honda Beach. It is a safe and secure community with 24 hour manned gated access, which caters to fishermen, families and children.
The Resort has many amenities including: 2 boat ramps, ethanol-free gas at marina, community store, pressurized boat wash down station, trailer parking. A community center with billards, darts, and library. There are tennis and basketball courts, golf putting green and netted driving range. There is even a small childrens playground.
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within one day
- Calendar last updated:
- Apr 17, 2018
About Frank Curington
Hi, My name is Frank. Welcome to 'The Bug Shack', my home away from home. I hope you enjoy your stay here in the Florida Keys. My family and I vacation here as much as possible, so we have made our vacation home comfortable and relaxing with all the creature comforts of home. So bring your boat, your beer and your sunscreen and have a GREAT vacation.
Frank Curington purchased this House in 2005
Why Frank Curington chose Cudjoe Key
We love the Keys and we chose to buy in Venture Out because it is centrally located for access to anything and everything you could possibly want to do in the Keys. Easy boat access to both the gulf and Atlantic...the fishing here is AMAZING! Keys West and all their activities are just a 20 minute drive away. This resort has so many activities and extras we could not find anywhere else. Its just great, our kids love it too!
Pool / Spa
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
It had something for everyone
overall, very pleased with Venture Out and our rental, #559.
Vacation in Cudjoe Key
We loved our stay! We enjoyed the canoe and bicycles. The property had everything we needed and the place was clean!
So glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you back next year. -Frank
Great vacation home!
We had a great time at the Bug Shack. It has a great view of the channel going out to the ocean. And the dock made things really convenient we could just park the boat after a long day on the water and relax. Plus the resort has a marina so we could grab gas on our way out. Great place to stay very family friendly. All the other guests and residents were really nice to talk to.
Thanks for the review, we really appreciate it.
So glad you enjoyed your visit. Come back and see us next year.-Frank
Overall a nice home at the inland end of a canal.
We love VO and this was our third year and third unit we've rented. We liked this unit well enough to reserve it for our winter trip next year.
- Nice view from full-rise unit
- Fairly close to pool and tennis courts
- Queen bed in master was very comfy (queen in other BR was not so comfy)
- Bathroooms both had excellent showers
- Ceiling fans in LR and both BRs
- AC external unit was inconspicuous insofar as noise level
- Parking under the house was a plus
- Decent knife set with sharpening steel (unlike other units we've stayed in)
- Dishwasher had only moderate noise level (this had been problem in other units)
- Relatively new 40-42" RCA HDTV with multiple HDMI inputs
- Leather sofa and loveseat in LR
- Sliding closet doors were of higher quality than other units - no derailing
This following list is as of 2/18/17 - many items should soon be corrected. I invite Mr. Curington, who was a very responsive and gracious host, to update via reply.
- HDTV but no HD service, owner notified and is in process of correcting
- Many common kitchen items missing - list reported to management
- No icemaker in fridge, so daily ice tray emptying required
- One of the door shelf-retainers in fridge is broken and we just removed it
- Antiquated, but working toaster and blender
- Neither bathroom has a tub
- Rather noisy AC in interior - removing grill on return resolved whistling
- As with all units that sleep six, a rather uncomfortable sleeper sofa in LR
- Leather sofas had many tears
- A king bed in master would be preferable
- Deck furniture was past its prime, but is being replaced
- Ceiling fan in LR was thrashing and ready to fall, but I repaired it
- Sliding door lock was inoperable, but I repaired it
- Deck railing rattled in several places, but I repaired it
- Blinds in master are in disrepair, but we managed
- Crinkly, noise-making plastic mattress cover in second BR, not very comfy
- Tile and rug in living area are on last legs, but tile is being replaced
- WiFi had older modem and router and tested at 3-5 Mbps - not slow, not fast
- Decent grill but is probably on its last season
These are mostly minor problems. As I said at the top, we enjoyed our stay and look forward to returning next year.
Great place to vacation...can't wait to come back!
The Bug Shack is comfortable, airy, nicely appointed, clean, and just a great place to spend a vacation. Everything that needed to be in the house was there, and everything worked. The community around the house is surprisingly quiet and peaceful, considering how many houses and trailers are there, and how close together they are.
The community pool and hot tub are great. The people we met, and there were a great variety of them, were all welcoming, and the folks in the real estate office were very helpful when we needed them.
Definitely can recommend the rental. Two small things: the water pressure seems very low; don't know if this is beyond the owner's control. And the master bedroom was always quite a bit cooler than the rest of the house, even with the A/C off, and the air handler was kind of noisy at night. But these are very minor problems compared with all the positive aspects of the house. Thank you!
Paul, Thank you for the kind review. We are glad you had a relaxing vacation. Hope to see you back next year!
UPDATE : New A/C installed early summer. Community has been working on water system and pressure is much improved.
We stayed a week with another couple and had a great time. The location is perfect only 23 miles from key west and 5 miles straight out in ocean is the best place to take boat and snorkel. The house was perfect with your boat staying right outside of the house . on the day of arrival the owner had a new grill delivered to the house. Perfect place to stay and would definitely go back
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
The resort, "Venture Out," charges all renters a resort fee of $53.25 upon arrival. They accept cash or check.