Stylish, Relaxing 18th Century Riad Porte Royale with Staff and Pool(1 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
About the Property
Riad in the historic Medina with 5 ensuite bedrooms to sleep 10/11 persons
Where possible, we endeavour to be eco-friendly, provide sustainable services and accommodation, and practice ethical tourism.
Fame! Riad Porte Royale has been selected by the Footprint Handbook to Morocco 2009 as 'one of the six most relaxing riads in Morocco' and the Footprint Handbook to Marrakech and Essaouira 2010. Our riad also featured in an article in Budget Traveler and the Daily Telegraph in 2011, and the Iberian magazine, Saber Viver in 2013.
Member since: 2009
- 400 m²
- Max. occupancy 11
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
- Vacation Rental
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 11
- The Douriya is reached by a 'secret' staircase and has a romantic four-poster bed. The Kilim Room and the Ibn Battuta Room can be arranged either as a twin or a double room. The cot can be put in any room, and if necessary we can put a day bed from the loggia into the Kilim Room as a child bed. The Douriya, Kilim Room and Baluchi Room have reversible air-conditioning. The Ibn Batutta Room and African Room have a heater for the chilly winter nights. The original thick walls have been retained, as have the traditional Moroccan 'key-hole' doors off the courtyard to maximize thermal control. All beds have Egyptian cotton sheets, two pillows per person and for the winter nights duvets and handmade camel-wool blankets. ...moreless
Bathrooms: 5 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
- Children are welcome, but parents must of course be vigilante with the younger ones because of the pool. Babysitting can be arranged. Three course dinners or lunches can be made by the housekeeper to order. We cater for various dietary requirements too. The manager is available to arrange any days trips or make restaurant bookings, airport collection and so forth. Smoking is not allowed in any of the rooms. ...moreless
- Botanical Garden
- Water Parks
Local Services & Businesses
- Massage Therapist
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Mountain Biking
- Water Tubing
- Whitewater Rafting
- Seating for 12 people
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Dec 20 - Jan 4
4 night min stay
Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Taxes Not included
The Riad sleeps 10 persons. The rates may be negotiable if the number of guests is below this.
Breakfast is included, and meals can be provided on request by our staff for a charge. For a special occasions we can arrange Moroccan musicians. If your group is larger than 10 we can liaise with neighbouring riads on your behalf. Please contact the owner for further details!
Owner's cancellation policy:
50% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date.
100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Car: Not Necessary
Marrakech is an exotic city, famous for its monuments such as the Medersa of Ben Youssef, Bahia Palace, Bahia Palace, Saadian Tombs, kaleidoscopic souks and Djemma El Fna square with its acrobats, storytellers and snake charmers. There is also Gueliz, the new town with the magical Majorelle Garden, boulevard cafes and trendy shops and restaurants. A few minutes away is the Palmaraie, with designer swimming pools, and a choice of golf courses. The Atlas mountains, the cataracts at the Ourika Valley, the lake at Lalla Takerkoust and the arty seaside town of Essaouria are a day trip away. For the more adventurous an overnight trip to the Kasbahs and Oases of the south is possible.
Other Activities: Sightseeing, shopping, restaurants
Year Purchased: 2004
About the owner: Born in London and grew up in Washington DC and Hampshire UK. After doing a PhD in Glasgow on planning and architecture in Algeria, I worked in Saudi Arabia, Oxford and Porto where I now live, and write fiction.
Why the Owner Chose Diour Jdad, Marrakesh, Morocco:
After travelling in North Africa, it was a wonderful chance to restore a traditional riad to its full glory in a UN World Heritage city. The courtyard used to host neighbourhood weddings, so has a very positive atmosphere. The area is just on the fringe of the tourist trail, so has a community feeling and gives an insight to daily Moroccan life, whilst being just minutes from major monuments, the souks, and famous restaurants such as Dar Yacout. It is also very easy to access.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
I was captivated by the large courtyard set below street level which meant it had been unchanged for centuries, and the sun throwing silhouettes of the ogive arches across the first floor loggia. Dilapidated though it was, it had a magical or 'zen' feel to it.
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
The Douriya Bedroom reached by a 'secret' staircase
The Ibn Battuta Room with a window screen from Rajasthan and old Chinese cabinet
The Baluchi Room
The salon off the courtyard
The Loggia, a perfect place to get together or for a pre-dinner drink!
Bird'e eye view of part of the rooof terrace and courtyard and the hi-tech canopy.
There are six sun beds on terrace, three of which are adjustable
A shop the the colourful souks
The serene Medersa
Riad Porte Royale at Night
The Kilim Room
The African Room, with masks and door from Mali, featured in a magazine
The 'b'hou' off the courtyard, a perfect corner for reading or chatting
A view of the traditional Moroccan salon—the tensile strength of palm trunks dictate its width!
View from the courtyard to roof terrace
Relax with mint tea on the roof terrace.
A mysterious lane
A cataract in the Ourika Valley. We can also organise day trips to the Atlas.
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.