Unforgettable Family Holiday, Reunion or Intimate Wedding Venue
The owner has been emailed.
This owner doesn't offer online booking through VRBO's checkout. You won't be eligible for our Book with Confidence Guarantee.
Never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram. Learn more
- Minimum stay:7 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:N/A
Vacation rental (self catering) homes don’t get any better than staying at Ballyhannon Castle near Ennis in Co. Clare. Offering YOU the opportunity to experience a stay in a 600 year old authentic medieval Castle - enjoy it - all to yourself. Treat yourself, your family and friends or wedding guests to a special venue you will remember forever.
The Castle tower is over 100 feet high and is built over five storeys, each with it's own medieval (yet comfortable) charm.
Ranked by the Sunday Times newspaper in London as among top 50 Castles in Britain & Ireland, we are one of the most unique and authentic Castles Ireland has to offer that you can actually stay in!
Built in 1490, during the ‘Golden Age of Castle-Building in Ireland’, you may look but you will not find a better location or example of a Celtic Castle in Ireland, especially with the combination of sleeping and living accommodations offered between the Castle and the optional addition of the adjacent Coach House, each property can be rented separately or together, as required.
But don’t just take our word for it – read all the amazing guest reviews left over our 11 years in business.
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Optional
- Private Chef
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 25, Beds for 10-25
- Castle: 1 x superking 4-poster antique bed (UK/Irish size); 3 x king beds (4-poster antique beds); 2x single (bunk beds in family bedroom). Coach House: optional extra property 2 x king (Uk/Irish size); 2 x double beds; 3 x single bunks plus 1 x double bed (underneath single bunk). Convertible sofa to a double bed in the downstairs room with en-suite. Futon & baby crib: available on request...moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
- Each building can be rented separately if required, so rates vary accordingly. Our fantastic venue/holiday accommodation is not staffed although we have contacts for all sorts of service providers (caterers, musicians, event managers, etc.) to share with our booked guests. Organising events (even weddings) can easily be done by guests or have an event manager take care of it all. Full payment required to confirm and secure dates (industry norm here in Ireland, like buying airline tickets, etc...) Visa and Mastercard accepted. EFT bank transfer payments possible For THE most enjoyable, authentic, comfortable and memorable Irish Castle stay you could ever begin to imagine - we have it all to offer. If you like what you see so far, then there is no doubt you will LOVE Ballyhannon when you come. It's truly a very special place to be. Welcome....moreless
- Music Library:
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Botanical Garden
- Duty Free Shops
- Live Theater
- Recreation Center
Local Services & Businesses
- Fitness Center
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Gambling Casinos
- Horseback Riding
- Outlet Shopping
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Monument View:
From the Castle roof-top, you will see the closeby river (Rhine River) which gives the Castle its old name (Castlefergus, Castle on the Fergus) and this in turn leads out to the Shannon Estuary. You can see magnificent views for far and wide of farmlands, the river, the estuary and Limerick City (20 miles away). ...moreless
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Deepsea Fishing
- Equestrian Events
- Freshwater Fishing
- Jet Skiing
- Mountain Biking
- Mountain Climbing
- Pier Fishing
- Rock Climbing
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Water Skiing
- Child's Highchair
The Castle dining room has seated up to 20, while the open-plan Coach House has hosted seated gatherings (including intimate weddings) for up to 70. Marquees can be erected for larger numbers....moreless
- Dining Area
- Clothes Dryer:
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided:
- Living Room
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine:
- Wireless Internet:
(4) Wood-pellet/coal/peat-burning stoves: (2) in the Castle (one in the Great Room, the other in the kitchen). The Coach House also has 2 stoves which only burn special wood-pellets (readily available)...moreless
All food tastes can be satisfied at Ballyhannon Castle! From fine-dining to BBQ to medieval food to buffets, we have an extensive list of Catering contacts/chefs available to guests on request....moreless
- Coffee Maker:
- Cooking Utensils:
- Dishes & Utensils:
(2) Stocked with ample wares, cutlery and utencils for any self-catering holiday. We provide tea-towels, hand-towels, kitchen detergents, and some misc extras for start-off supplies for guests until they decide what they'll need for their own stay...moreless
- Pantry Items:
Deck / Patio:
(2) Patio outside the Coach House kitchen leading onto the lawn, and a large lawn area to the front of the Coach House. The Castle is surrounded by garden with seating/tables by the front entrance....moreless
- Lawn / Garden
- Outdoor Grill
Pool / Spa
- Housekeeper Optional
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
7 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $842.86
Rates are FROM 750 p/nt, depending on which or if both buildings is required andlength of stay. Our fantastic venue/holiday accommodation is not staffed although we have contacts for all sorts of service providers (caterers, musicians, event managers, etc.) to share with our booked guests. Organising events (even weddings) can easily be done by guests or have an event manager take care of it all.
For couples, occasionally we offer special discounts in low season, please enquire for more details.
Rates have variables (one or both properties, number of nights, time of year, self-catering or event). Please enquire for your own specific quote for your stay.
Full payment is required to confirm and secure dates (industry norm here in Ireland, like buying airline tickets, etc...)
Visa and Mastercard accepted.
EFT bank transfer payments possible (can be more costly and slower)
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
The property's calendar has not been updated in over 2 months. You can contact the owner for availability or look for properties with confirmed availability
No words can describe the beauty on our doorstep, and the abundance of adventure and fun activities available. We are surrounded by Ireland’s most popular tourist attractions strategically and conveniently at the heart of the West Coast of Ireland. By pure, though indeed fortunate, historic coincidence, Ballyhannon Castle is exceptionally well located for visitors to Irish shores.
The nearest airport is 15 minutes drive, and there are 3 local villages, all within 3 miles of the Castle, 2 towns within 10 minutes and 2 cities less than 1 hours drive. The Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Bunratty Castle, Blarney Castle, the Aran Islands, Dingle, Killarney, Dublin City, Galway City to name the most popular tourist attractions within easy reach.
Year Purchased: 2004
About the owner: We are the Moore family and this is our small family run business . We enjoy sharing our historic and national monument Castle tower with guests from all over the world who come for all kinds of stays and occasions/celebrations to make their time here as happy as can be, a stay they will remember always. It's a real honour for us to be able to play a small part in the dreams and memories that are made here.
Why the Owner Chose Clare, Co. Clare, Ireland:
Castles like this have not been built for hundreds of years, so when an opportunity arose to purchase such an rare and amazing piece of Irish history, we embraced our luck to be able to own such a special and magical place. In addition to renting the Castle, we also offer a homely and large country house on the same grounds, so ideal for large families, or event bookings. The house can rent separately or with the Castle, and offers an additional 5 bedrooms/sleeping up to 15 guests.
The Unique Benefits at this Castle:
Anyone can stay in a hotel anywhere in the world ... but how many can stay in an authentic 600 year old castle in Ireland, to have it and enjoy it, all to themselves - whatever their occasion and this is exactly what we offer - a unique and special experience for everybody to enjoy.
- Primary: +353 868145837 If phoning within Ireland 086 8145837
Links to more information:
Ballyhannon Castle at dusk
Painstakingly and lovingly re-pointed in 2014.
Castle kitchen, just inside the front door entrance
Castle bedroom overlooking the field of ponies
One couple who just got married
Stone spiral staircase, as viewed through the Great room doorway
Fire stove area of Great Room (half way up the castle tower)
First Shower room in Castle
The Coach House, 5 bedrooms and all windows overlook the Castle
Double Bedroom in the Coach House
Main sitting room area in the Coach House (there are other seating areas too)
Another view of the Coach House sitting room (very large room) & kitchen beyond
Side profile, from the Coach House (west side of the tower)
The Castle Dining room (may seat up to 25 in this room)
Top Bedroom of the Castle, with amazing oak beams on the ceiling
Wedding Vows taken in the Great Room
Suit of armour in the Dining Room alcove
The Great Room, taken from the south facing window
Stone Bathroom in the Castle, up beside the Great room
Master bedroom of the Coach House
Coach House TV room/downstairs bedroom; Sofa coverts to a double bed & en-suite
Sun room at Coach House
The 'Snug' bar-room in the courtyard. Bring Your Own (i.e. stock yourself).
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Friday, August 26, 2016
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
- Property typeCastle
Request to book
- Response time Within 24 hours
- Response rate 100%
- Calendar last updated 06/15/2016
Before making a payment, always call the owner at the number listed on our website to make sure your payment instructions are accurate.
Never use instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram.Learn more
If phoning within Ireland 086 8145837
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Travel with peace of mind.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.