The Bay Watch Cabin is now open for minimum 2 night bookings for the remainder of 2018. 2019: Jun 22 to Sep 7 - weekly SATURDAY to SATURDAY ONLY. At all other times it is a 2 night minimum.
The Bay Watch Cabin is a comfortable 2 bedroom, 1 bath, cabin with a gas log stove and an awesome views to the lighthouse, bay and out to Lake Superior. It is just a short walk to the center of town, and the beach access road is only about 100 yards to the west. It is perfect for 2-4 people, but it can fit a couple more in a pinch.
The Bay Watch Cabin's deck is great for relaxing and taking in the view with a cocktail or morning coffee, or for having a romantic evening dinner. You can also relax in the Adirondack chairs around the fire pit in the back yard while cooking your steaks on the charcoal park grill a few feet away.
The cabin is well appointed for a short or long-term stay. The living room has a flat screen television, cable television, queen futon sofa, two club chairs, and the gas log stove.
The master bedroom has a queen size bed, and bedroom 2 has a full/twin bunk bed. All beds are made up for you and the bath linen, kitchen linen and kitchen items are all onsite ready for your use.
The kitchen has a fridge, gas electronic range, coffee pot, pots and pans and crockery and utensils. The laundry has a stacked front loader washer and dryer for your use. The cabin's gas log stove easily heats the whole cabin. When it is warmer, just open the windows and let the bay breezes flow through.
So, whether you are just a couple or a family of 4 or 5, or even two couples, this would suit you well. At various times each day at the Bay Watch Cabin you will hear the Catholic Church chime their lovely songs across Grand Marais. Come and take in the peaceful surrounds of Grand Marais with one awesome view.
Note: The Bay Watch also has an additional fold out bed and a queen futon. These can be made up for additional guests for a small additional fee. See the guest guide below to get an idea of how it could feel with additional guests.
CHANGE OVER DAY: From last full week of June to the end of the first full week of September weekly (7 nights) bookings only permitted from Saturday to Saturday. All other times a 2 night minimum with change over day open.
OPEN: Currently open from May to end of October. Closed early November through April (subject to weather). Feel free to inquire.
INTERNET: None in the Bay Watch Cabin. Available at various places around town, including (subject to change without notice) at the Diner a short distance away, the Grand Marais Tavern, and at the Grand Marais Outfitters in town.
2 renters = perfect size
4 renters = almost perfect size except you'll have to share a bathroom
5 renters = getting a little tight as 3 people will share a bedroom, and only 1 bathroom between all
6 renters = you'll need at least one additional sleeping item made up (extra guest charge), and the bathroom use will be a little inconvenient, plus there will not be enough living room and dining room seats for all.
7 renters = only upon request, no guarantees. Extra $10 per night.
8 renters = can't do it
Ten things to do around Grand Marais:
1. Visit the local restaurants: The West Bay Diner (you will wait for your food, but it is good), The Dunes Saloon (the local watering hole with some really good pizza and tacos), the Grand Marais Tavern (the newest restaurant in town).
2. Swim at East Bay or West Bay beaches.
3. Walk Agate Beach from the lighthouse to Sable Falls. Or walk along the road to Sable Falls west along Carlson Street and H-58, then down the side of the falls, and back to the Lake Street in town.
4. Walk the trails both east and west of Grand Marais.
5. Visit the Agate Museum and other antique and gift shops in town.
6. Thursday night is farmers' market in the town park - locals sell their homegrown and homemade goods - there are some excellent cooks living in Grand Marais.
7. See Dennis/Kim at the Grand Marais Outfitters to organize or rent a kayak, a four wheeler, or a charter boat tour/fishing expedition.
8. Visit the log slide lookout about 13 miles west of Grand Marais off H-58.
9. Visit Pictured Rocks that is about 40 minutes west of Grand Marais off H-58.
10. Use the grill on the grass area, cook your steaks, sit on your deck and enjoy your steak with a cocktail or soda while looking out at the lighthouse and water.
FROM M-77 - Travel on M-77 toward Grand Marais, go down the hill into town, turn right on Randolph St and continue on veering to the right onto Grand Marais Avenue. Follow Grand Marais Avenue for about 500 feet, and the cabin is on the left about 100 feet after the Catholic Church.
FROM H-58: Travel into town along H-58 (turns into to Carlson Street when you enter Grand Marais. Cross M-77/Lake Avenue and head toward the bay and then swing to the right and follow Grand Marais Avenue for about 600 feet, and the cabin is on the left about 100 feet after the Catholic Church.
(If the Bay Watch Cabin is unavailable for you please check out Anchor House #682005, the Ridge Road Cabin #294031, or the Bay Cabin #421494)