My home is located on a quiet street just blocks from downtown (5 minute walk). There are 4 bedrooms and two full baths - remodeled. In 2014. Bathroom 1 Features include floor to ceiling custom tile, walk-in glass shower and all new fixtures. The 2nd bathroom also has custom glass with a tub/shower and subway tile. Living room furniture is newer - plenty of seating for everyone with 50" Smart TV ÷ Netflix.. Dining room has built in buffet seating for 6-8. The front porch is amazing 32' of covered living space - this is where everyone will want to hang out. All of this just a short walk to restaurants, boardwalk and parks.. This is the place - you will not be disappointed!
- House2300 sq. ft.
- Half Baths0
- Min Stay3 - 7 nights
4 Bedroom, 2 Bathroom, Sleeps 8
- Calendar last updated:
- Aug 25, 2018
About Bob Brophy
I am a recently retired teacher and I live in this home year-round. Enjoy golf, sports, reading and traveling. I recently started sharing my home by the week during the summer months and for shorter stays throughout the year. The close proximity to downtown works great for me. I am sure you will enjoy all that Grand Haven has to offer. I want guests to feel at home, but on vacation!
Bob Brophy purchased this House in 1993
Why Bob Brophy chose Grand Haven
I was looking for an older home with character. The original woodwork including French doors, leaded glass pocket doors, staircase and built in buffet in the dining room give the house a unique style.
What makes this House unique
There is a second kitchen upstairs that is not pictured as well as a small outside deck on the second level. The front porch provides a place for family and friends to gather. The short walk to downtown allows for easy access to restaurants, bars, shopping and more.
Check-in: 3:00 PM
Check-out: 10:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date.
This house and location were perfect for our four generational family get together ! Host is great !
We had a wonderful time at the beaches, restaurants, playground and THE PORCH of this fine well preserved home. The kitchen facility was just what we needed for meals at the house. The location is so ideal that we walked everywhere (check out short hikes in Duncan Park). Our Host had provided all the comforts and a décor and style that made our stay very relaxing.
He also had very interesting reading materials on a variety of fiction and non-fiction topics. There was entertainment and accommodation for a 90 yr.old; two 60 yr. olds; two 30 yr. olds and their 5 and 2 yr. olds. The Porch area especially came to be used more for gatherings, toy truck step climbs, reading and music listening. The neighborhood is QUIET and the few persons we encountered were friendly. It is a plus to be able to park two large cars on a property and not have to worry about moving them.
We have stayed at a number of "vacation homes" both in the United States and Europe. This was the most family-friendly place yet! With its combination of a full downstairs bathroom/larger bedroom and bedrooms upstairs with a excellently renovated bath/shower upstairs for the younger people this historic home (note the 1913 newspaper clipping in the foyer) was very accommodating.
Check-in was very easy. Our check-out was done at a time most convenient for us before we continued our travels. Electronic facilities include excellent wi-fi and appliances. The air-conditioning worked extremely well.
If we had had more time I would have liked to take more of the tours that focus on the historic nature of several of Grand Haven's neighborhoods. The trolley was really a good overall viewing of the town and peaked my interest. The ongoing renovation of the Grand Trunk Railroad Depot was another specific building that we enjoyed touring on our own.
Another nearby activity that was fun for all the family was blue-berry picking, That large haul of produce paired with Farmer's Market products, excellent local beers and wines was great when we did cook at the stay house. Another kudo to our host for the family sized refrigerator! The dishware and glassware are plentiful and attractive. It is rare to be able to feel so "at home" away from home!
Cee and Larry - I appreciate your kind words. I am glad that your family had such a great stay - it was my pleasure to host you all. Thanks for taking such great care of my home - you are welcome back anytime!
Had a great time in Grand Haven. This home is in a great location to get to everything we wanted to do. It was well appointed and comfortable.
Thanks so much - glad you enjoyed the house and Grand Haven. Would love to have you back anytime - thanks for taking great care of my home!
A nice place, could use some improvements, and better description
We had a lovely time in Grand Rapids and this place does have some great things going for it. It is a 10 minute walk to the main strip of downtown and about a 30 minute walk to the beach. As noted in the description, the bathrooms are new and nice.
A couple things to be aware of:
1) This is really a 3 bedroom. There are two traditional bedrooms, one on each floor. There is a third bedroom that is large, but there is no door (and no curtain)! And it is right across from the upstairs bathroom. Inside the third-bed room is a converted room that has two double-beds in it, a bit tight, but it works. This interior room does have a door. I would recommend that the owner put a door on this room and perhaps add bunk beds in the interior bedroom to make it more kid-friendly and more spacious.
2) There is no yard. there is a small back-area with a grill and a four-person table. Not a big deal, but just important to understand there is little to no room for the kids to move in the back area.
3) This house is old. This is part of the charm, but the floors are very uneven and they creak terribly. To be expected. But if you have light sleepers, this may not be the place for you.
Low-hanging fruit improvements:
1) the upstairs shower door has a jagged edge on the bottom (the plastic spill-guard). This cut both my wife and my son. This should be replaced or at least fixed to remove the sharp edge.
2) add small stool under the bathroom sinks. These sinks are very high. If you have kids under 4 feet, they will not be able to use the sinks. It would be easy to buy one small stool for each one and put it under each sink.
3) Get a new coffee maker. The coffee maker did not work that well. These are relatively inexpensive and should be something you can count on. I recommend one with a thermos-style pot (more durable and keeps coffee warmer longer).
4) Get eight chairs for the dinning table. The description says it seats 6-8, which is true, but there are only 6 chairs. We pulled one from the front of the house and another from the porch. I think there should just be two extra chairs in the dinning room.
5) Get eight placemats. There are only 6 and they do not fit well.
6) Keep home stocked with papertowels. We ran out.
7) Get containers for recycling and for deposit cans/bottles. Also, you may want to put in your "welcome" note what can be recycled and what should be for deposits (we were from Chicago and almost forgot about this)
Nice renters - could also use some improvement. Coffee table had been written on with markers. New smart TV was loaded with smudge marks and fingerprints. Dining room table had lots of food crumbs and the floor as well. Lint guard in the dryer was full of lint and sand (not sure why any laundry was even necessary for a long weekend). In response:
I do need an 8th dining chair - extra placemats were in the buffet in the dining room. New coffee maker is on my list (must have been OK since the pound of coffee I left was totally gone) . My house is nearly 100 years old. The hardwood floors creak (part of the charm). Floors are slanted in the living room going toward the kitchen ( have been here 23 years and not run into the wall yet). Never had an issue with shower guard from another renter, family member or friend, but will check it out. As for running out of paper products - it is not a hotel. I left at least 3 rolls of toilet paper for each bathroom and 2 rolls of paper towels in the kitchen. Sorry my house did not meet your expectations.
Quaint, cozy and close to everything!
You can't beat this location, only a few blocks walk to downtown and the boardwalk along the river, and a few more to the lake itself. Located in a quiet residential neighborhood, the house itself was old but had a lot of charm with many of the original cabinets and features intact. Both bathrooms were completely updated, modern and clean! The front porch was large and perfect for spending time relaxing with a drink and/ or reading. Speaking of reading... the owner has thoughtfully amassed a large collection of books on various topics to appeal to almost everyone. That being said, we did encounter a few unexpected issues. The locks on the doors didn't work, the fireplace is unusable, the floors tilt quite dramatically in some areas, and one of the "four" bedrooms is accessible only by going through the "third" bedroom, which in turn has no door, or even a curtain for privacy. Regardless, the house was perfect for our needs, with plenty of towels, extra bedding, and a large dining table for meals and playing cards. The homeowner kindly left us detailed instructions and responded promptly to answer a question that arose.
This s a great old house, attractive and very comfortable. 6 adults rented this place for a long wedding weekend. We appreciated the quiet neighborhood location that was within walking distance of the Central Park wedding and downtown party venues. The house offered us plenty of room to relax together and the great front porch was an inviting gathering place for other wedding guests to visit with us. We would rent again.
This house is beautiful, the pictures don't do it justice! The house was clean. We were unable to meet the owner because we caught a late flight into Grand Rapids, but the owner left a detailed list of the amenities (how to work the tvs, turning on the heat, where to find towels, etc.). You can tell the owner takes pride in this home. The house is only a few blocks from the main drag that has a brewery and many resturants (easy walking distance for us). We will definitely recommend this home. It was perfect!