My home is located on a quiet street just blocks from downtown (5 minute walk). There are 4 bedrooms and two full baths - remodeled. In 2014. Bathroom 1 Features include floor to ceiling custom tile, walk-in glass shower and all new fixtures. The 2nd bathroom also has custom glass with a tub/shower and subway tile. Living room furniture is newer - plenty of seating for everyone with 50" Smart TV ÷ Netflix.. Dining room has built in buffet seating for 6-8. The front porch is amazing 32' of covered living space - this is where everyone will want to hang out. All of this just a short walk to restaurants, boardwalk and parks.. This is the place - you will not be disappointed!
- House2300 sq. ft.
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay3 nights
4 Bedroom, 2 Bathroom, Sleeps 6
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- Calendar last updated:
- Jun 11, 2018
About Bob Brophy
I am a recently retired teacher and I live in this home year-round. Enjoy golf, sports, reading and traveling. I recently started sharing my home by the week during the summer months and for shorter stays throughout the year. The close proximity to downtown works great for me. I am sure you will enjoy all that Grand Haven has to offer. I want guests to feel at home, but on vacation!
Bob Brophy purchased this House in 1993
Why Bob Brophy chose Grand Haven
I was looking for an older home with character. The original woodwork including French doors, leaded glass pocket doors, staircase and built in buffet in the dining room give the house a unique style.
What makes this House unique
There is a second kitchen upstairs that is not pictured as well as a small outside deck on the second level. The front porch provides a place for family and friends to gather. The short walk to downtown allows for easy access to restaurants, bars, shopping and more.
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 3:00 PM
Check-out: 10:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
Had a great time in Grand Haven. This home is in a great location to get to everything we wanted to do. It was well appointed and comfortable.
Thanks so much - glad you enjoyed the house and Grand Haven. Would love to have you back anytime - thanks for taking great care of my home!
A nice place, could use some improvements, and better description
We had a lovely time in Grand Rapids and this place does have some great things going for it. It is a 10 minute walk to the main strip of downtown and about a 30 minute walk to the beach. As noted in the description, the bathrooms are new and nice.
A couple things to be aware of:
1) This is really a 3 bedroom. There are two traditional bedrooms, one on each floor. There is a third bedroom that is large, but there is no door (and no curtain)! And it is right across from the upstairs bathroom. Inside the third-bed room is a converted room that has two double-beds in it, a bit tight, but it works. This interior room does have a door. I would recommend that the owner put a door on this room and perhaps add bunk beds in the interior bedroom to make it more kid-friendly and more spacious.
2) There is no yard. there is a small back-area with a grill and a four-person table. Not a big deal, but just important to understand there is little to no room for the kids to move in the back area.
3) This house is old. This is part of the charm, but the floors are very uneven and they creak terribly. To be expected. But if you have light sleepers, this may not be the place for you.
Low-hanging fruit improvements:
1) the upstairs shower door has a jagged edge on the bottom (the plastic spill-guard). This cut both my wife and my son. This should be replaced or at least fixed to remove the sharp edge.
2) add small stool under the bathroom sinks. These sinks are very high. If you have kids under 4 feet, they will not be able to use the sinks. It would be easy to buy one small stool for each one and put it under each sink.
3) Get a new coffee maker. The coffee maker did not work that well. These are relatively inexpensive and should be something you can count on. I recommend one with a thermos-style pot (more durable and keeps coffee warmer longer).
4) Get eight chairs for the dinning table. The description says it seats 6-8, which is true, but there are only 6 chairs. We pulled one from the front of the house and another from the porch. I think there should just be two extra chairs in the dinning room.
5) Get eight placemats. There are only 6 and they do not fit well.
6) Keep home stocked with papertowels. We ran out.
7) Get containers for recycling and for deposit cans/bottles. Also, you may want to put in your "welcome" note what can be recycled and what should be for deposits (we were from Chicago and almost forgot about this)
Nice renters - could also use some improvement. Coffee table had been written on with markers. New smart TV was loaded with smudge marks and fingerprints. Dining room table had lots of food crumbs and the floor as well. Lint guard in the dryer was full of lint and sand (not sure why any laundry was even necessary for a long weekend). In response:
I do need an 8th dining chair - extra placemats were in the buffet in the dining room. New coffee maker is on my list (must have been OK since the pound of coffee I left was totally gone) . My house is nearly 100 years old. The hardwood floors creak (part of the charm). Floors are slanted in the living room going toward the kitchen ( have been here 23 years and not run into the wall yet). Never had an issue with shower guard from another renter, family member or friend, but will check it out. As for running out of paper products - it is not a hotel. I left at least 3 rolls of toilet paper for each bathroom and 2 rolls of paper towels in the kitchen. Sorry my house did not meet your expectations.
Quaint, cozy and close to everything!
You can't beat this location, only a few blocks walk to downtown and the boardwalk along the river, and a few more to the lake itself. Located in a quiet residential neighborhood, the house itself was old but had a lot of charm with many of the original cabinets and features intact. Both bathrooms were completely updated, modern and clean! The front porch was large and perfect for spending time relaxing with a drink and/ or reading. Speaking of reading... the owner has thoughtfully amassed a large collection of books on various topics to appeal to almost everyone. That being said, we did encounter a few unexpected issues. The locks on the doors didn't work, the fireplace is unusable, the floors tilt quite dramatically in some areas, and one of the "four" bedrooms is accessible only by going through the "third" bedroom, which in turn has no door, or even a curtain for privacy. Regardless, the house was perfect for our needs, with plenty of towels, extra bedding, and a large dining table for meals and playing cards. The homeowner kindly left us detailed instructions and responded promptly to answer a question that arose.
This s a great old house, attractive and very comfortable. 6 adults rented this place for a long wedding weekend. We appreciated the quiet neighborhood location that was within walking distance of the Central Park wedding and downtown party venues. The house offered us plenty of room to relax together and the great front porch was an inviting gathering place for other wedding guests to visit with us. We would rent again.
This house is beautiful, the pictures don't do it justice! The house was clean. We were unable to meet the owner because we caught a late flight into Grand Rapids, but the owner left a detailed list of the amenities (how to work the tvs, turning on the heat, where to find towels, etc.). You can tell the owner takes pride in this home. The house is only a few blocks from the main drag that has a brewery and many resturants (easy walking distance for us). We will definitely recommend this home. It was perfect!
Great location in Grand Haven
We stayed here over Labor Day weekend -- 6 adults and 3 young children (2, 3 and 5 years old).
Situated just south of and within easy walking distance of the downtown shopping/dining area, and a few blocks from the Grand Haven State Park at Lake Michigan (a short drive or bike ride -- too far to walk with young children). For older kids, there are a few parks nearby, including a large playground at Mulligan's Hollow which is also adjacent to the skate park. The neighborhood is safe & walkable, the neighbors (we met a few of them while the kids were playing outside) were all very friendly and stopped by to say hi, and let the kids pet their dogs, etc.
This house was a great central location that allowed all of our families to stay together; the kids could play, adults could socialize, plenty of room for lounging and a formal dining room let everyone eat together, as well as a large covered porch to enjoy the evenings or stay in the shade while the kids ride bikes outside. Additionally, compared to many rentals we've stayed in before -- especially those near Lake Michigan/waterfront, the house was very spacious: large living room, formal dining room, and bedrooms big enough for everyone. Comfortable beds and recently updated/renovated bathrooms were a nice bonus.
I'd definitely recommend and consider staying here again -- especially for families or groups who want the amenities and conveniences of a "home", rather than separate hotel rooms/etc.