DAISY AND THE VILLAGE OF FODELE.
Daisy is in a small development (Mandarin Grove) of 8 properties with a shared pool. It is located close to the heart of an authentic Cretan village. The local people have made a decision for the village to retain its original character. There are:
NO cash machines;
NO British newspapers.
The tavernas DO NOT take Travellers Cheques and few tourists stay in the village.
Daisy is situated in a lovely location...’Orange valley' enjoying unspoilt MOUNTAIN VIEWS which can be seen both from the bedroom balconies and the roof terrace.
Some guests like to visit local resorts such as FODELE BEACH and AGIA PELAGIA before returning to the village for their evening meal.
The village itself has a special character. Very little has changed over many decades. The locals are proud of their association with EL GRECO and the fact that the village can sustain itself through local crafts, farming, farm produce and the visitors who come to see this special village. The local tavernas provide a variety of cuisine and some provide a take-away service.
The CHURCHES in the village are beautiful and remain the focus of village life. Christenings and weddings are attended by the whole village. You can witness the feast in the village square accompanied by local musicians and traditional Greek dancing.
New, comfortable SOFA and CHAIR; ample room for 4 people;
Toshiba TV with integral DVD;
A selection of fiction/non-fiction BOOKS;
Table and coasters;
Air conditioning (remote control).
Oven + induction hob;
(the washing machine is located in an enclosed area in the back garden).
Table (which can be moved) and breakfast bar;
4 height adjustable chairs;
Table mats and coasters.
Ample room for 4 guests.
Bath with shower;
SPIRAL STAIRCASE TO UPPER FLOOR.
New king size bed + linen;
Bedside cabinets and lights;
TV with integral DVD (for DVD use only);
Air conditioning (remote control);
Patio doors (plus fly screen) onto the balcony;
Shutters to the outside for privacy.
Table and 2 chairs;
Beautiful mountain views.
New king size bed and linen;
Bedside cabinets and lights;
Air conditioning (remote control);
Patio doors (and fly screen) leading onto a small BALCONY;
Shutters to the outside of the doors for privacy).
UPSTAIRS SHOWER ROOM...
SPIRAL STAIRCASE UP TO THE ROOF TERRACE.
Table + 4 chairs;
Washing machine in an enclosed area;
Flower border and tubs.
Tiled undercover area;
Table and 2 chairs.
SWIMMING POOL, HOT TUB, and OUTDOOR SHOWER.
These facilities are shared by the 8 properties and provide a focal area for Mandarin Grove.
OUTDOOR TABLES, CHAIRS, SUNBEDS and UMBRELLAS.
These are situated around the pool for your comfort and convenience.
DURING YOUR STAY - CARE OF DAISY...PLEASE NOTE...
Daisy is furnished to a high standard...a Cretan feel with a touch of John Lewis! We would appreciate it if our guests would LOOK AFTER Daisy as if it was their own home and ensure that children are supervised for their own safety and well being. We appreciate that damage can occur but do not want the type of damage that is caused by children who are out of control or adults who have little respect for a holiday property. If this note of caution is acceptable to you, we have no doubt that your stay will be an enjoyable one.
Providing there are no new guests arriving on your day of departure, there will be no pressure for you to check out before you are due to leave for your flight home. If new guests are arriving that day, we will make every effort to ensure that you can use the facilities on site.
Daisy is situated within the GATED community of Mandarin Grove. It is separated from the village by a river; hence away from traffic so children can play safely.
TRIP ADVISOR 2017 CERTIFICATE OF EXCELLENCE.
We are very proud that Daisy has been awarded the 2017 Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor. This is a testimony to the care shown by our guests and the diligence of our site managers. Thank you.
SAFETY AND SECURITY.
The safety and security of our guests is paramount. As such, and we DO NOT allow unauthorised guests to visit Mandarin Grove or use the facilities. Owners and guests ONLY, please. Thank you.
Prior to departure we will issue you with 2 KEY CODES...
1. to access the key for the front GATE (located just inside the gate within easy reach);
2. to access the house keys in a key safe outside DAISY.
THINGS TO DO.
You will find much to occupy you in the village...
Multiple TAVERNAS each with their own specialities;
Gentle exercise on the various NATURE TRAILS;
Visit the local CHURCHES churches which are very beautiful;
Visit the MUSEUM that commemorates El Greco and Fodele, his birthplace.
Unlike the resorts, Fodele remains open throughout the year. For many visitors, it is a reminder of the 1950's.
PROXIMITY TO THE SEA.
Fodele will appeal to those who wish to be close to sea but would prefer to stay in a proper Cretan village. Fodele Beach is only 2 miles away and it is lovely bay with a sandy beach.. Buy a drink at the taverna and your deck chair is provided FREE!
YOUR JOURNEY TO CRETE.
Direct flights to Crete are available from APRIL - OCTOBER. HERAKLION airport is approximately a 30 minute car ride from Fodele.
Comparison websites include:
BOOKING A TAXI.
Should you wish to pre book a taxi at the airport, we can assist you. Please ask.
NB. Please tell your driver to take you to Fodele VILLAGE (not Fodele Beach).
You will probably find the cheapest deals on comparison websites like Travel Supermarket.
Alternatively, you can book direct with companies like Athens cars.
Our advice is to get “full to full” petrol and to be aware of the pressure with some firms to upgrade your policy. If you need the peace of mind of extra cover, it is cheaper to book it in advance
DIRECTIONS TO FODELE VILLAGE BY CAR.
Fodele village is approximately 30km from Heraklion airport. The CAR HIRE depot is ACROSS THE ROAD from the airport building.
Detailed DIRECTIONS as follows:
1 Leave the airport parking area, towards the traffic lights and bus stop. Stay in the RIGHT HAND lane;
2. Turn RIGHT at the lights (stay in the RIGHT HAND lane);
3. Look for a sign to RETHYMNON/ CHANIA. The slip road is about 200 metres further on;
4. Now on the HIGHWAY. Drive for approximately 25km;
On this road you will encounter the following...
The Highway will change from dual to SINGLE carriageway, you will pass a power station on your RIGHT.
The road becomes winding and uphill. Continue on this road.
Pass a BP petrol station; you are now in the Agia Pelagia area;
The highway now goes DOWNHILL; you will pass another petrol station on the right. Fodele BEACH is to your right;
Continue for a further 300 metres, where there is a large junction signposted FODELE.
5. TURN RIGHT here.
6. Follow this winding road for about 3km until you pass through the village and reach the VILLAGE SQUARE (a large TREE, El Greco TAVERNA and SOUVENIR STREET will be on your LEFT). Park anywhere in the village square.
TO WALK TO DAISY:
1. Retrace your steps back down the narrow high street for about 150 METRES. You will reach a FOOT BRIDGE on the left (DOMENICO’S TAVERNA and THE 4 SEASONS SHOP will be on the right).
2. Walk across the footbridge and immediately turn left;
3. Walk along the path adjoining the river for 150metres and you will see a high wall on your right, sign posted Mandarin Grove. You have ARRIVED.
You will be given a code for the box to open the GATE. Go inside and pass the pool. Daisy is the FOURTH PROPERTY ON THE RIGHT.
There is a key safe by Daisy’s front door. Again you will be given the code to open it. There will be 2 keys inside : one to the outside gate and one to Daisy. Please RETURN THEM to the key safe on your DEPARTURE.
Please do not hesitate to ask further questions before you go.
WHY SHOULD YOU VISIT DAISY?
1. Fodele is an authentic working village, with a unique history and old world charm;
2. It is cheaper than the holiday resorts;
3. The tavernas are abundant, reasonable and on the doorstep. Their home made dishes are wonderful;
4. Eat by the village stream or barbecue in the privacy of Mandarin Grove.
5. It is a safe environment for children ; there is no road access to Mandarin Grove.
6. A lovely beach is under 5 minutes drive away;
7. Should you hire a car you will find Crete to be a magical island; we are centrally placed to visit all areas.
8. Daisy is a proper home and not a characterless tourist property;
9. TV/DVD combo, satellite (not Sky); internet access.
10. The views from the balcony and roof terrace are beautiful;
11. The surroundings are orange groves and a wooded park.
12. The visitors' comments are all positive.
13. If all this fails to impress you, the local Raki is 5 Euros for a large bottle!
Thank you for visiting our website.
With best wishes,
Peter and Ann.