|Minimum Stay||7 nights|
My large home (3 bedroom/2 bath/large loft and 2 bedroom/1 bath garden downstairs) is on about a quarter acre and located a 1 minute walk to the water edge of beautiful white sand Hanalei's excellent swimming beach. Glimpses of water can be seen from home. It is graciously and comfortably furnished with many amenities. It excels for extended families.
Main part of home has a large wrap-around deck for outside enjoyment. Loft is large open beamed room set up with seating arrangements that can sleep two extra in day bed twin unit. Garden downstairs has private patio and good privacy from the street with high mock orange hedge on the 3 garden sides. Majority of clientele are very satisfied repeat guests. They also refer their families & friends. It is about a five-minute walk to downtown Hanalei, which has a number of restaurants and shops.
TVRNC # 1021
On Island emergency only contact: Jim Beatty (808) 346-0038
Keywords: Upstairs & garden suite
I stayed in this vacation rental home before purchasing & realized what a great location it had & how wonderful it was to be right at the best part of beautiful Hanalei Beach - less than a minute walk to the water. The home itself was well built; was very desirable as a vacation rental & it was for sale by the owner/builders.
It is a gracious home for families & couples to share. Located less than 1 minute to the best part of Hanalei's excellent swimming beach & about 5 minutes to downtown Hanalei have made it very easy to rent.
My husband and I have stayed in vacation rentals in about 20 different countries around the world. We consider ourselves savvy renters and do our best to research our options, weigh the reviews of others, and make educated choices before committing - especially when we're staying more than a night or two.
We rented the downstairs unit at Hale Reed for 8 nights in April 2016. Here's what you should know:
1. Sally is incredibly responsive right away - she'll answer any questions you have about the house prior to any agreement and sends all rental documentation in a timely manner
2. This is not a Best Western - this is not one of 10 other condos the owner rents out - this is a home. Sally TAKES PRIDE in her house and is serious about renting to people who will take care of it while they're there. So, don't be surprised when she asks you to do that.
3. The bottom unit is NOT a basement. It is the lower floor of a two story home. It has lots of space and lots of beautiful light.
4. It is steps to the beach... I mean, less than one minute walking.
5. The owner takes pride in her home - this is obvious in many ways but the first big clue was when we emailed her about a minor issue we had with our stay... her response was to call us right away and amend the situation immediately. She offered to go above and beyond to make us comfortable... I've honestly never seen anyone so eager to make perfect strangers happy.
6. Sally saved our butts... in a serious way. I won't bore you with details - but part of this "saving of butts" is her calling us at 2am her time (on the mainland) to ensure that we were safe and comfortable and VERY well taken care of in an otherwise confusing and frustrating experience. Her generosity that night and in the days to come will never be forgotten. We are eternally grateful... she owed us absolutely nothing but took care of us like family even though she'd never met us before. THIS is why you want to stay at a place like Hale Reed... the person behind the rental is real and really actually sincerely cares about you and your comfort while you're there.
This review is only for the "basement". We booked late, and didn't have much choice, so we can't complain too much. I notice most reviews are for the upstairs and everyone seems to have a lovely time.
If you only have the basement, you will be very hot, there is little ability for a breeze to blow through the non-air conditioned unit. We had the fans in every room blowing all the time, but they didn't help much.
Yes, we know to expect bugs, and the occassional gecko on the wall didn't bother me. What did bother me was that anytime we opened the door (to the carport/laundry area) mosquitos would fly in. We got bit every single night just because of that one problem. Would have been nice to have a screen door here for some needed breeze.
Worst thing of all is the pillows. I thought about driving to Costco just to replace the sandbags that were there. I ended up using the travel pillow I had brought on the plane.
We are not high maintenance guests, and I really do hate writing a bad review. I do hope that this feedback will be used to fix the problems that exist so that no one will have to have the same experience as us. We felt like we were stuck there for 2 weeks with no one to help us with the problems we were experiencing.
Two families totaling ten people rented both the main house and basement apartment for 10 days. The home was clean and well-stocked with everything necessary for a successful vacation. Beds were comfortable, appliances worked perfectly, no problems with bugs or neighbors. The beach and town were so close that most days we and the children walked to both places and shopped, ate, and enjoyed what has to be the most fabulous beach in the world. We loved having the outdoor shower to wash off sand before coming in the house - really helped keep the inside much more sand-free. A couple days it rained, but the large stock of games and movies, along with ample spaces throughout the house for small groups to congregate easily took care of that. It also helped that because we'd rented the basement, our teenagers had a place they could come and go throughout the day and night without bothering any of the adults and small children upstairs. The owner was extremely friendly and easy to work with, answering all our questions in a very timely fashion. Being at this home was like experiencing a little bit of paradise. When we ended the week our children all informed us that they wanted to come back here and get together with our friends every year for the rest of their lives.
Our family of 6 enjoyed a very comfortable week in March. Beach access was a minute away. The loft space made it especially enjoyable as everyone had their own room. The house has a great Hawaiian feel. The second story lanai was an outstanding place to relax. A short walk to town and a great neighborhood to walk around. A much quieter and peaceful location than Princeville. The owner was great to work with.
We rented this home, with another family, in April of 2007. We enjoyed the house and location so much that I have hung on to the rental agreement in hopes of going back. What was terrific about this house, was: it was spacious, clean and nicely kept, without giving us the feeling we had to tell the 5 children in our group "Don't touch anything!" I loved this rental, thought it was a good value; and perfectly located. The renter was congenial and easy to work with!
We had a misunderstanding with the owner, and she agreed to refund our deposit. If anyone is concerned over the business ethics of renting from strangers, they need not worry about this particular owner. We are grateful for their cooperation.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
Jun 1 2017 - Sep 5 2017
7 night minimum stay
|cleaning, minimum up||$300 + Tax|
|cleaning, minimum down||$175 + Tax|
Cleaning charges are a minimum of $250 on the upstairs & $150 on the downstairs. Security deposits are $500 on upstairs & $400 on downstairs & due at time of booking. All money is due 90 days prior to arrival & for Christmas holidays, 120 prior to arrival. Hawaii charges 13.42% tax on all rentals & 4.167% on cleaning. There is a cancellation charge of $300 for each.
Upstairs:low season $2300 a week for 2 persons, $100 a week for each extra person
High season/holidays $2500 a week for 2 persons & $100 a week each extra person.
Garden downstairs: $1500 a week low season & $1600 a week high season & holidays.
Christmas (Dec. 15th to Jan. 15th) from $1800 to $3400 a week with a 2 week minimum.
High season Memorial Day to Labor Day-Low season rest of time.