Charming Off-Grid House with Ocean View(11 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:3 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
About the Property
1 Bedroom, 1 Bath + Sofa bed, Sleeps 2-4. Huge Lanai With Ocean View
Located at the end of a private road, our Pohoiki farmhouse (pronounced locally as Po-iki) is a tastefully appointed, off the grid home with a lovely ocean view. The home sits on five cleared acres and is planted with a variety of tropical flowers, exotic fruit trees, and even a testbed for growing tea. This is an off the grid retreat for visitors looking for serenity and a soothing, entirely different sort of Hawai'i vacation.
The house features a full kitchen; separate bedroom; large bathroom with walk-in shower and hand-crafted acacia wood counter; cozy living room with TV/DVD player; a dining room that comfortably seats four to six; and a large lanai featuring ocean views during the day and sublime stargazing at night.
This is our home, and although work keeps us away from Hawai'i right now we’d like it to be your home as well. Sit on the lanai in the morning sipping coffee and eating papaya from one of the local markets while listening to the slow distant rumble of the ocean. Easily visit the many nearby wonders of Puna: Ahalanui Park warm pond, Pohoiki boat ramp, the Vacationland tide pools, the Kalapana lava flow, Pahoa Town, mystical Red Road...Wander the yard at sunset with a glass of wine while the sun paints the skies over Puna pink. Fall asleep to the nighttime rains…
Because the house is positioned on a hill 400 feet above sea level, the trade winds blow regularly and keep it almost exclusively mosquito-free, which is a bit of a marvel for east Hawai'i.
We are less than 10 minutes by car from old Pahoa Town (restaurants, gas, groceries, wonderful olympic-sized swimming pool) and a mere few miles from the Pohoiki boat ramp and the geothermally heated warm pond. Kalapana is 20 minutes south; the Hilo airport about 35 to 40 minutes north; Kilauea crater about 45 minutes. The location is ideal for exploring the eastern side of the island.
Sometimes it’s difficult to remember that our farmhouse is off the grid, but it is. We have plenty of county water, which is easily and quickly heated by an on-demand propane water heater. The stove and oven are propane as well, and the electrical is solar. The living is convenient and comfortable, however the experience is decidedly more detached – much less energy consumptive, much less plugged-in. Life on Pohoiki Road is in synch with the rhythms of the day. Life is simpler here.
Vacation Rental Features
- 1 Queen
- Flat-screen TV with built-in DVD player; no satellite or cable
- Swimming pool (Pahoa Town). The public pool in town is delightful. A huge, Olympic sized pool with two separate lap areas and a standalone children’s pool make this an ideal place to work on your strokes.
- Full kitchen
- Propane gas stove/oven
- Full-size refrigerator
- Cooking utensils: non-stick cookware, dishes, place mats, cloth napkins
- Lanai with hammock
- Ocean View: sublime ocean view from the bedroom, living areas and lanai
- A wide swath of ohia forest and papaya farms lies between the house and the ocean
- Walk-in shower with handheld spray and rain nozzle
- Hand-hewn, bathoom counter made of locally harvested, chocolate heart acacia
- Custom kitchen cabinetry with kitchen counter posts constructed from ohia trees from the property
- Individuals, especially artists, thinkers and academics
- Families or couples traveling together should consider booking our home as well as our next door neighbors’ lovely Indonesian style cottage, Mahi Oli Oli
- Unfortunately, we’re not handicapped accessible. The residence is on the second floor, accessed by outdoor stairs.
- No Smoking indoors. Smoking is permitted on the lanai or lawn areas only.
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters : You must be at least 21 years old to rent our home.
- No Pets
- Wildlife Viewing
- Zoo/Wildlife Park
- Hike to Active Lava Flows
- Yoga Instruction
- Volcano National Park; Eco-Tourism
- World-Class Astronomical Observatory
- Pahoa Olympic-Sized Swimming Pool
- Geo-Thermal/Oceanside Warm Pond (Queen's Bath)
- Tropical Botanical Gardens
- Hula Classes.
- Check out Nui Pohaku or adventure tours and bike/snorkel,scuba rentals.
Member since: 2013
- 700 sq. ft.
- Max. occupancy 2
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 2, Beds for 2
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
- DVD Player
- Away From It All
- Coin Laundry
- Nude Beach
Local Services & Businesses
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Dining Area
- Seating for 4 people
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Towels Provided
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Pantry Items
- Deck / Patio
- Lanai / Gazebo
- Lawn / Garden
- Outdoor Grill
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
3 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- refundableDamageDeposit $200
- Cleaning Fee $100
- Tax Rate 13.41%
Owner's cancellation policy:
50% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
100% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Why the Owner Chose Pahoa, HI, USA:
We tell everyone that Lower Puna, the coastal region of easternmost Hawaii, is not the Hawaii of your dreams, it's the Hawaii of the dreams you never knew you had. Pohoiki Road is one of the most scenic and laid back roads on the Big Island. Our place at the end of a private lane off of Pohoiki Road is a serene getaway where the rhythms of the day are guided by the elements -- sun, rain, wind, sky... It's our respite from all the things that drive us crazy on the mainland. It's Hawaii the way Hawaii is meant to be (in our view).
Links to more information:
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Easy, off-the-grid living on 5 acres in the beautiful district of Lower Puna
big lawn for relaxing
The lanai late in the day for drinks. At night it's great for stargazing
The posts for the kitchen counter came from old o'hia trees from the property.
Sleep to nighttime breezes and wake to birds singing. Queen size bed.
The counter is a slab of chocolate heart acacia,locally harvested&hand-finished
The private entry road we share with two other neighbors.
A view of the house from the orchard-in-process: guava,kalamansi,tangerine,lemon
A typical sunrise. Must be seen to be understood.
Hilo Farmer's Market. We're about 30 minutes from downtown Hilo.
Gentle, easy-going living on 5 acres. The 1BR/1BA rental is upstairs.
The house faces southeast, with incredible sunrises. Great spot for breakfast.
The living area.
Cozy living room. The flat-screen TV has a built-in DVD player.
Guests can access the lanai from the bedroom for a coffee and watch the sunrise.
A big walk-in shower overlooks the bamboo lined entrance.
Yellow bamboo lines the short driveway.
Different palm trees, tropical fruits and flowers planted around the property
The lava flow is about 12 miles away, past the end of Red Road.
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.