BRING YOUR DOGS and let them run in the country on 37 acres! This is a house you both can enjoy! (Please note, that was a cat-friendly house until 2014, in case you or anyone in your group are sensitive or allergic to cats/hair. It has been over 3 years without cats.)
I just started the Rocky Hill Farms Facebook page - check out photos!
Coming Spring 2018 - Tree Pod swinging Cabana and Lounger at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1002730324/treepod-a-spacious-hanging-retreat
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THIS HOUSE:
This house was a Swedish Barn, from Barrington, IL, that was taken down and resurrected on this site, in 1987, the architect taking advantage of the Mississippi River and tri-state views from every window and vantage point. It has been and continues to be a conservation and preservation property.
Every window in this house has a view of something special – a valley, a ridge, a tree, a prairie. The views are “million dollar”! The Mississippi River (and refuge) can be seen in all seasons, but the view in winter expands as the leaves fall. At night, the lights of Dubuque and the bridge can be seen year round. In summer, you’ll see the lights of the barges shining down the chute. Pilot Knob can be seen as can Sinsinawa WI. Tri state views! Lights of Galena at night as well. The topography of the property, affords views in all directions. An overhead shows where the 5 or so major ridges (fingers) protrude from the property. The view from the back deck is to the Northwest (largest part of the River bend).
Chestnut Mountain resort is 3 miles away and the lights of Chestnut can be vaguely seen through the woods at night.
This is a working conservation farm. As such, the owners, workers, or volunteers may be on the property attending to syrup, bees, garden, woods or landscape at anytime. Their access will be limited to the garage, shed and exterior. We will do our best to allow you maximum privacy, and will not enter the house.
We operate 'Rocky Hill Farms' with several business incomes:
• Maple Syrup – there are approximately 16 buckets to collect maple sap, from trees in the front yard as well as the silver maples in the back yard. Tapping the trees occurs in mid to late February and lasts 2-4 weeks, depending on temperatures. Daytime temperatures need to break into the 40’s and nighttime temperatures need to be below freezing. In the past, Rocky Hill Farms has produces 2-4 gallons of Maple syrup that has rich undertones of vanilla, butter, bourbon and smoke. Bottles of this premium handcrafted and organic syrup are for sale for guests and by request.
• Morels – morel mushrooms brought $50/pound in downtown Chicago, during late April to mid May, collecting as much as your time allows – filling 2 5 gallon buckets every year.
• Blackraspberries – collection time is late June through July on the paths that surround the property, collecting several gallons of berries every year.
• The Organic Garden – over the last 3 years, we have put in 6 raised beds filled with rich compost materials and dirt. No pesticides have ever been used. Garden production is extremely high in this rich soil. There are 1 cherry tree, 1 plum tree, and 1 peach tree that were planted in 2011, and are producing well. Organic vegetables and fruits are sold at local farmers markets and/or to local restaurants. Vegetables are available to pick for your enjoyment while at the farm. Our policy is "pick a vegetable, pick a weed too!"
• Prairie – the prairie was planted in the Fall of 2010 with over 67 species of flowers and grasses. No pesticides have been used in the maintenance, instead opting for prairie burn and cutting of weeds until prairie is established, typically 3 years. The prairie is prime for seeds, which will be packaged and sold as Rocky Hill Farms Illinois Native Prairie Wildflower Mix. Have used Cory Ritterbush of Prairieworks, Inc (Shullsburg, WI) to consult on the project. A species list is available with hyperlinks to the species.
• The Tree Farm – approximately 32 acres are in a managed Tree Farm Plan with the IDNR State of Illinois. There are numerous white pines, oaks and black walnuts. The “woods” are also in the tree plan, and are being managed to limit invasive species and to promote the growth of the good hardwoods.
• The “Woods” – we have had several naturalists come and walk the property and the property is home to several unique features including some sinkholes at the southern end of the prairie, numerous rock outcroppings at about 800’ elevation surrounding the property, with views of the Mississippi River from several, rare wildflowers including the endangered Canadian Violet, numerous ferns. There are two natural springs lower on the property. Wild ginseng also exists. We have done some restoration to increase the view, cut invasive species and promote good tree growth.
• WILDLIFE - we feature the occasional bobcat, deer, turkey, raccoons, possums, and over 80 species of birds.
FEATURES OF THE HOME:
3 Bedrooms - 1 on each floor, with 2 sleeping lofts
3 Full Bathrooms - 1 on each floor
Gourmet Kitchen with separate pantry and wine cooler, SS appliances, 6 burner gas stove w griddle
Woodburning Fireplace, Heat and AC
Combined Kitchen, Dining, Living Room (Great Room)
Upstairs TV Lounge area
Bose sound system Bluetooth
Back Deck with dining seating for 16, 2 loungers, and a small seating area and views
Covered Front Porch with Rocking Chairs
Large Screened Porch with Seating Furniture
Hot Tub outside Lower Level
3 Miles from Chestnut Mountain Ski Resort, fine dining
8 miles from Historic downtown Galena
1st floor - Master Bedroom with Queen bed (sleeps 2)
2nd floor - There is a bedroom with a queen bed (sleeps 2). This bedroom has an adjoined sleeping loft with twin bed (sleeps 1). Also upstairs next to the TV lounge is another loft space with a R&B convertible bed that can be 1 twin, 2 twins or 1 queen when separated.
Please note that when requested as queen - both mattresses will be on the floor with a featherbed covering and comfortable linens. When requested as 2 twins, both mattresses will be on the floor, but separated, and with comfortable linens. Since these beds are low to the ground, you should be able to get up/down comfortably (i.e. may not be appropriate for older adults, individuals with bad knees, etc..) When requested as a twin, mattresses are stacked, and bed has comfortable linens.
Lower level - 2 twins (sleeps 2), new Jan/2014, both with comfortable linens.
2 Extra plush air mattresses are available with plenty of room anywhere
1st floor off master bedroom/main hall with jacuzzi tub and separate shower
2nd floor, full with shower
Lower level, new, full with walk-in shower
OUTDOOR fire pit w Adirondack chairs. Hot tub. Front, rear and screened porches.
Pets allowed with permission, pet fee and prior approval. Please inquire before making deposits/payment. You must sign the Pet Addendum which will be sent to you. $100 first pet, $25 each additional pet. Maximum 3 pets.
IMPROVEMENTS TO THE HOUSE
• Fall 2011: new gourmet custom kitchen. Stainless steel appliances including
o 48” KitchenAid duel fuel range w/ griddle
o custom cabinet depth Kitchen Aid side by side refrigerator
o Kitchen Aid dishwasher
o JennAir under counter microwave drawer
o Kohler sink w/ disposal
o Soapstone counters
o Cabinets are knotty maple
o Seed glass used in “hutch”, transom, and cabinets in pantry
o Pantry includes a stainless steel beverage cooler, a 48” antique cast iron sink, custom cubby holes (mudroom).
• Whole house interior painted 2011-2012
• Spring, 2013: entire lower level remodeling which included:
o Custom wine room
o New pantry/storage
o New shower/sink/toilet with radiant flooring
o New ceramic floor throughout
o Radiant flooring in bedroom
o Large walk in closet in lower level bedroom
o New light fixtures throughout
o New walk in mudroom for coats/shoes/etc…
Property is an excellent property for snowshoeing and xxskiing. Equipment can be rented locally (please inquire and I can help you make arrangements.) Walking and hiking are our favorite activities here as is cycling on the country roads.
I am happy to coordinate many activities for you and have done so for my own company. I can arrange for bootcamps, yoga classes/instruction, golf outings, retreats, and getaways, massage therapists to come to the house, chefs to cook healthy meals, grocery/liquor delivery services, and more. Please inquire if you have a group and you wish me to help plan your weekend or week getaway. Great house for weddings, corporate retreats, and girls getaway weekends, and family reunions. This house is not acceptable or appropriate for loud parties or college/high school drinking parties. Please do not even inquire.