Our cottage is a comfy little place right on Lake Carey in Tunkhannock, PA**. The cottage has a screened in mud-room, kitchen, full bathroom, living room, 2 bedrooms, a 'lake room' with breakfast nook and a deck overlooking the lake. Each bedroom has a full size bed. The living room has a pull-out couch that is also full sized and if needed, there is space in the living room for an inflatable mattress. Overall the cottage can sleep 6 people very comfortably, 8 in a pinch.
Outdoors we have a large fire pit and a floating dock that is pretty new, installed at the end of the 2015 season. We have 3 kayaks (2 single, 1 tandem) and a row boat available for use (All on premises only), as well as some fishing poles and tackle available to be used on premises (PA permit required. Information can be provided.)
Our cottage is not fancy, but it is comfortable and homey, and we love it that way. Located at the top of one of the Endless Mountains, it is very secluded, but only a 10 minute drive from all your creature comforts including grocery stores, a movie theater, several fantastic restaurants and even a Super Walmart. You wouldn't guess it when you are at the cottage though, it is so peaceful. A wonderful place to unplug and enjoy the sunshine. We did install Wi-Fi by popular request, just in case you don't want to completely unplug.
Speaking of creature comforts and unplugging, not to worry. There is plenty to do and see if kicking back with a good book isn't your thing:
- Fishing. It is huge in the area as the lake is part of the Susquehanna River Valley and is stocked at the beginning of the season with trout, but also has a ton of carp, bass (small and large mouth), pickerel, cat fish, sunnies, maybe more. At dusk, the carp jumping for bugs is pretty cool to watch. Fishing permits are required and are available online. I can provide you a link to the PA website for more information.
- Kayaking/Boating. We have two individual kayaks and one tandem kayak. Our side of the lake is smaller and shallow, which makes it nice for beginners. If you are a bit more advanced, you can paddle on over to the big side of the lake, and take on the much stronger current. It is not permitted to use the kayaks anywhere other than Lake Carey. If you have your own and want a true challenge, you can take it down the mountain and take on an a more serious challenge . . . the Susquehanna herself. For those who may want to bring out more than one or two people, or may not be comfy in a kayak, we also have a nice, big metal row boat that seats 4.
- Golf. There are two PGA rated golf courses at the bottom of the mountain. One is about 10 minutes away (Shadowbrook) and the other 15 minutes away (Stone Hedge). There are also 2 miniature golf courses and a driving range within minutes of the house as well. Greens fees fluctuate, both courses have websites I can direct you to.
- Hiking. The woods surrounding our cottage are private property but there are a number of trails in the area. Many local state parks offer a great hiking experience, but watch out for the local wildlife!!
- Hunting. Speaking of local wildlife. Ask me for the links to lots of information and maps of public access hunting grounds. FYI, the cottage is in Wyoming County.
- Skydiving. Yup that's right. There is a group that is based out of the local small airport (Skyhaven) that does sky-diving every weekend the weather allows. I can see them floating through the sky almost anytime I hit the grocery store on Saturday mornings. Website can be provided upon request.
- Food & Beverage. There are many great local restaurants, wineries and breweries in the area. Some of these restaurants are truly spectacular, if "cooking in" isn't your thing.
This cottage has been in our family for over 35 years. It is our home away from home, we love being there. Unfortunately careers, lack of time and life in general prevent us from getting there as often as we would like. The next best thing would be sharing our little bit of paradise with others.
For more information on local eateries, etc., please visit and like our facebook page. Search 'Cozy Cove Lake Carey'.
**Please note, due to lethal allergies of my 3 year old autistic child, we request that no peanuts or tree nuts are brought into the house. If your pet enjoys peanut butter for a treat, please keep it in your vehicle and feed it to them either outside. The allergy is so severe even residue on the carpet could cause a reaction. Thank you in advance.