Outdoor shower on 1 acre of property! Birds, Beach, Bikes!
About Sara Irick
Sara is an avid traveler. Thanks to HomeAway she has traveled to Portgual, Spain, France and Italy with her husband. Vacation should be a vacation. Learning from her experiences traveling with HomeAway rentals, she knows renters don't want to show up to a dirty house without enough beds for people. We've taken care of all the thinking so you can focus on the relaxing. Sara will be available to you from your first inquiry through your stay to answer all of your questions about Cape May and the house. We take pride in our home and ability to make our guest's vacation a happy memory.
Sara Irick purchased this House in 2017
Why Sara Irick chose Cape May
Cape May has long been a special place to Sara & Justin. Sara's large Italian family has been vacationing in Cape May since the 50's. A long-time dream of her Grandfather's was to buy a home in Cape May. Sara & Justin were married in Cape May in 2010 and were finally able to to purchase a place of their own in 2017. The moment they laid eyes on this beautiful farmhouse they felt the history and the many future memories their families would have in Cape May.
What makes this House unique
Large property, living in history (c.1775), close to the beach and the farms, privacy, and quiet! The Mermaid and the Whale strikes a balance between an updated home set up to fit our modern needs and a blast to the past in this beautiful historic house built in colonial times. Feel the history, take in the beauty of the landscape, and enjoy our very many nesting birds on the property as you relax with your family and enjoy Cape May - a place that offers way more than just the beach.
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
Minimum age of primary renter:25
Max guests:10 (sleeps up to 8 adults)
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date.
Cape May Gem!
My family had an a amazing time in your beautiful home! They really appreciated all the small little touches. We take this trip each year and after staying at your home it will be impossible to stay anywhere else! Thanks again for everything!
Everything you need
The house is charming, spacious and comfortable. The yard is well kept and lovely. It was an easy trip to get to the beach so being a bit away from the center of town was great. It was quiet, with our own driveway and easy parking. They had umbrellas, chairs, even 4 sturdy bikes. Bring your clothes, toothbrush and toothpaste and you are good to go! It is a pristine, well equipped house and it made our first time to Cape May a wonderful experience. We definitely recommend cape May and the Mermaid and the Whale.
Lovely, well appointed home
We had a great week staying at the mermaid & the whale. The house is charming with a nice deck & yard, and kitchen has everything you could want. The owners were nice & gave us a lot of good suggestions of what to do!
Glad to hear you guys had a fun week!
Expectations far surpassed
We've been renting in Cape May every summer for many years, and felt this house was one of the cleanest, best decorated, and with the best yard of our many stays. There's plenty of room for cornhole, frisbee, swinging in the hammocks under the shade of large trees, and general tomfoolery- a rarity in Cape May. The amenities were top-notch, as the hosts stocked the house with all the items that are usually annoyingly missing, like paper towels, toilet paper, soap, and toiletries. The kitchen was also well-outfitted and welcoming. The hosts really went above and beyond with making sure their home was vacation-ready from the moment we arrived. Although farther from the beach, that was never any problem- 5 minutes by car, and also easily rideable by bike. The best surprises were the chicness and comfort of the home, the usable yard, and the the proximity to the Garrett Preserve- right around the corner and absolutely fascinating. Check-out was the easiest ever, and communication with the owners was a breeze. It's easy to recommend this spot as a great vacation find. Our group of adults and college-age kids had a fabulous stay :)
The house is beautiful and well maintained.
Well stocked with everything you may need for your stay and more!
We are always happy to hear this as we put a lot of effort into stocking the house.
Fabulous property with wonderful hosts!
Our family rented this property in the week leading up to labor day. We had a blast! Several things went into making this a great trip:
* The entire process of booking the property was very quick as we got a response immediately from Sara.
* After the booking we received a welcome package advising us on directions, what we could do along the way, the things we could do once we got here, the best places to eat depending on what one is looking for, how to work the air-conditioning, how to set-up the wifi and entertainment system, etc. It was very thorough covering everything one needed to know.
* We were met at the house by Justin who gave us a tour and answered any questions we had about the house and the area.
* We found the house to be well stocked with everything that we needed for the stay right down to the smallest detail. We had bikes, beach equipment, beach tags, games, children's toys, books for all ages etc. It was pretty obvious that a lot of thought and care had been taken to ensure that our needs were covered.
* Sara and Justin were wonderful hosts, managing the balance of being non-intrusive while checking to ensure that we were doing fine and answering any questions that arose.
* The house is more than 200 years old and has the charm to reflect it. The large back yard was great for our toddler to run around in.
* The area is lovely and we enjoyed cycling to the beaches and viewing the many old victorian houses that line them.
All in all, we count the trip among the best we have had!
Thank you so much John! We couldn't have written a better review if we wrote it ourselves! So glad we could provide a happy vacation for your family.
Farms, Wineries, Breweries and lots of history.