River Home in the Historic Village of Marine on St. Croix(20 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:N/A
About the Property
Two bedroom, three bath home overlooking the St. Croix River
Maison sans Chèvres, our charming Craftsman style home, has two stories, both with great windows overlooking the St. Croix River.
The main level features a granite countertop kitchen with stainless steel appliances made for enjoying cooking and eating, a dining area that can accommodate 8-10 people; an inviting parlour with a gas fireplace, windows overlooking the river and a queen sized sleep sofa; a guest bathroom, and a master bedroom suite with jacuzzi tub and separate shower stall.
The lower level features a cozy TV nook with a queen sized sleep sofa, a sitting area around a gas fireplace, a unique bathroom and a bedroom with a window overlooking the river.
The upper level walks out onto a spacious, wrap around deck. The lower level walks out to a patio with a river cabin feel. Both outdoor areas have furniture for enjoying the sights and sounds of the river and for eating. There is a gas grill on the deck.
As we live only a 10 minute drive away, we will be at the house to welcome you upon your arrival and we will be available by phone if you need questions answered or assistance during your stay.
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
Member since: 2013
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters:
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 4-8
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable:
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Live Theater
- Winery Tours
Local Services & Businesses
- Fitness Center
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
Right in the village of Marine on St. Croix, easy walk to Marine Landing Cafe, Marine General Store, The Marine Café coffee shop, Brookside Bar & Grill, St. Croix Chocolates, village library ...moreless
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Cross Country Skiing
- Ice Skating
- Dining Area
- Seating for 12 people
- Air Conditioning:
- Clothes Dryer
- Hair Dryer
- Coffee Maker:
- Dishes & Utensils:
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $200
- Cleaning Fee $100
- Tax Rate 7.125%
Owner's cancellation policy:
Policy available by contacting owner when booking
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
• Enjoy this charming Craftsman style house with its many windows facing the river, its sweeping wrap-around deck, its lower patio area, and its mission-style architectural detail.
• Enjoy being part of the charming, historic village of Marine on St. Croix. Once a lumbering town, later a summer residence haven for city dwellers, Marine has maintained the look and feel of its history. Its architecture reflects the New England heritage of its first settlers and the feel of a vacation retreat. Take the short walk to the Marine Landing and Cafe, Marine Café Coffee Shop, the Marine General Store, St. Croix Chocolates, the community library, the Village Hall and Brookside Bar and Grill. Across from Brookside, enjoy looking over the falls rushing down to the river. For a complete look at the village, take the 'Historic Walking Tour' of the village with the guidance of the walking tour map you'll find at the house. From the village center take the short return walk to the Maison sans Chèvres and its sense of seclusion.
• Enjoy the wintertime - cross country skiing and snow shoeing at William O'Brien State Park, 2 miles north.
• Enjoy the spring, summer and fall living along the river. While the house is about 30' up on the riverbank, we have a short flight of deck stairs leading down to the river and our private dock. From our spacious deck you can watch life in its many forms on this quiet river; from Taylors Falls on the north to south of the village of Marine, the river is a 'slow speed zone' ideal for appreciating the unique beauty of the Lower St. Croix National Scenic Riverway.
•Enjoy Stillwater. Travel 10 miles south to the historic town of Stillwater. Often called the 'Birthplace of Minnesota', Stillwater offers many wonderful antique shops, clothing stores, gift shops, and restaurants, museums, the historic Lift Bridge to Wisconsin, riverboat and gondola rides , and marinas for boat rentals to explore the St. Croix River. Winery and apple orchard nearby.
• Enjoy William O'Brien State Park , just 3 minutes north on Hwy. 95. There you can hike, bike, explore, swim at the Lake Alice beach, rent canoes for local paddling, or in winter cross country ski or snow shoe,
• Enjoy historic Scandia, site of the first Swedish settlement in Minnesota. Scandia boasts Gammelgarden Museum and Hay Lake Schoolhouse Museum, historic sites and shops for antiques and gifts.
• Enjoy Taylors Falls, just 20 minutes north on Hwy 95. Along the way you can take in the free outdoor Franconia Sculpture Garden at the junction of Hwy 95 and Hwy 8. At Taylors Falls you can rent canoes and kayaks, take a riverboat ride or try rock climbing.
• Enjoy other historic nearby towns including Lindstrom in Minesota and St. Croix Falls, Osceola, and Hudson in WI.
• Drive 40 minutes to St. Paul or 45 minutes to Minneapolis for museums, theatres, sporting events and so much more; drive 1 hour to Mall of America for mega shopping
Year Purchased: 2012
About the owner: We have been farming in the St. Croix Valley for over 40 years. If you know anything about farming, you know that there is no 'getting away from work'. You're there 24/7, with all the joys and worries that brings. We never had a vacation home until we bought the river house in 2012. We purchased it with the intent of allowing us a perfect way to 'get away'. It only takes us 10 minutes to drive there from our farm, allowing us to get away frequently and easily. You may be curious about the name 'Maison sans Chèvres'. Our farm is a large, commercial Grade A dairy goat farm. The river house is our 'home without goats.' We've stated the name in French to honor the river's name and the French voyageurs who explored it.
Why the Owner Chose Marine on Saint Croix, MN, USA:
In the 44 years we've lived in this area, we've come to love the St. Croix River and the very unique town of Marine on St. Croix. When we were lucky enough to be able to get this architectural gem of a house - not only on the river but also in the village of Marine on St. Croix - we were thrilled. It is the perfect vacation home for us. As we're not able to use it full time, we enjoy sharing it with others.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
The Maison sans Chèvres is a peaceful, warm, welcoming house. It has an incredible amount of character. Being right on the river allows for a unique connection to nature and the river towns north and south of us. Marine on St. Croix is an historic town whose residents take a great deal of pride in their history, their natural surroundings, and the creative energy of people. There are numerous cultural events that occur here throughout the year: concerts in the historic Marine Village Hall, art fairs and exhibitions - from Fourth of July celebrations to the Christmas Market, taking enjoyment from life is an ongoing theme here. Being in this warm, small town setting but still so close to busier life in the larger towns nearby and even close to the Twin Cities (St. Paul is only a 40 minute easy drive away), gives visitors an opportunity to experience a range of Minnesota life. As for the house itself, remodeling, updating and furnishing this house was a labor of love for us. We think the results of our efforts reflect our appreciation for quality and for history.
- Primary: 651-470-8052
Links to more information:
Parlour, Fireplace End
Kitchen - Stove Area
Front porch entry with porch swing.
Kitchen counter/bar and stools
Master Bath Jacuzzi
Lower Level Wood Fireplace Sitting Area
River from Lower Level Patio
Lower Level Bathroom Shower Stall with Monet's 'Poplars on the River' tiled wall
Bistro table on deck. Great for early morning breakfast or anytime.
Main Floor Parlour through French Doors
River from Parlour Windows
Winter view of River to the South from Deck
Kitchen - Copper Sink
Kitchen - Bar Area
Main floor guest bathroom
Master Bathroom Jacuzzi Tub & Shower Stall
Hallway and stairs to lower level
Lower Level TV Sitting Area
Lower Level Bedroom
Looking up at Deck from Stairs Leading to the River
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Thursday, January 19, 2017
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.