Located just over an hour's drive from Washington DC on Maryland's southern shore, this property in historic Charles County is a perfect retreat for a week or a weekend. This luxury waterfront rental offers 4000 sq. ft. of living space with 4 bedrooms, including 2 master suites each with 42" HDTVs, and 3 1/2 baths. The first floor features a fully equipped gourmet kitchen with granite countertops (foodies take note), a master bath with jacuzzi, a Great Room with gas fireplace opening to the deck and just steps away to the Potomac River and a private dock. The second provides 3 bedrooms, each with water view, a welcoming family room with 60" HDTV, and an additional deck. The third floor loft offers a daybed, an additional sitting area for quiet conversation, and a gaming locale. The private pier is great for fishing, swimming or simply witnessing the breathtaking sunsets over a 6 mile wide stretch of the Potomac River. This modern property features gleaming hardwood floors throughout and enjoys the efficiency of a geothermal heating and cooling system. The expansive sunlit interior provides a quiet ambiance with dramatic views of the southern Potomac.
4 bedroom+loft, 3 and a half baths. Large rooms, sleeps 11, great pier.
Reid and Jim
- Calendar last updated:
- Jan 18, 2019
Why Reid and Jim chose Cobb Island
You are going to love Cobb Island, I often describe it as Mayberry on the water. A place where the schedule slows down, folks walk around and talk to neighbors, and most importantly a place to unwind and relax.
What makes this House unique
The dock and pier are best places to spend your time. The view is great. You can watch a sunset, throw a line in the water or simply read a book. Bird watching is also fun, Bald Eagles come by early in the year until they get chased off by the Osprey which are fun to watch on the hunt. Purple Marten birds can be found flying around all year.
Check-in: 3:00 PM
Check-out: 10:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date.
Long Weekend with Family
I organized a long weekend with family and stayed here with 8 adults, 2 children and 2 infants. The house was more than enough space for us. Being that it is 3 floors, there are plenty of space to spread out if desired. The dock was great, quick out and your fishing. The view and the kitchen were our favorite part of the house. We cooked the whole weekend and they had the kitchen adequately stocked with all kitchenware that we needed. Plenty of silverware, plates, etc. Very quiet neighborhood, we saw half a dozen people through the 4 days. Additional helpful information to pass along
- best communication channel with owner is via cell. owners are laid back and pretty hands off while responding promptly to texts
- the small grocery store on the island has much of what you would need if your forgot something. spices, breads, cereals, meats, beer, tackle etc
- kitchen is more than adequately meets most cooking needs. knives, cutting boards, pots, pans, dishes, silverware, blender, strainer...
- the water in the house is from a well and it does have a slight smell to it, but it is safe to drink. we bought bottled water from the grocery store
- fishing in early september is okay (catfish and white perch), best luck during high tide since shallow waters. shrimp worked well as bait. recommend bring your own gear
- bbq gas grill worked well for us despite other reviews. there was also an extra tank of gas just in case
- be prepared for mosquitoes and small flies that bite in backyard and neighborhood playground. bring bug spray and long clothing if your going to grill, and swatters are in the house. On the pier it was fine due to breeze
- there were 6 bikes and a trailer to pull 2 kids in the garage
- marina does not have pontoons and did not have any functioning jon boats when we visited. it is attached to captain johns crab house which we did not get to try but crabs looked great
- the crab pot provided is on its last last leg and not really worth using. we brought a crabbing baskets, did not have much luck catching
- plenty of extra towels are provided in the upstairs linen closet and have washer dryer if needed
- there are obvious signs of dogs such as hair, so would not recommend if allergic
We escaped the heat of DC for a long Labor Day weekend on Cobb Island. The house was perfect and helped make a wonderful weekend on the water. Everything we could need we could find in the house. Will definitely be back!
Perfect location for beauty and peace!
We rented this home to share with four families. The layout was perfect and allowed us to gather in the common areas when we wanted, but also have separate rooms for privacy when needed. There isn't much to do in the area, but this was exactly what we were looking for. Our kids had the opportunity to swim and play in the water, and the adults enjoyed the incredible views from the deck. The house is also fully stocked with all your basic needs including some medical supplies, it's beautifully decorated, and has a terrific layout. We are considering an annual visit.
House is beautiful, large, well equipped and on the water.
House was perfect for our group. Enough space for privacy with communal rooms large enough for us to be together.
Fishing and swimming off the pier was fantastic.
Owners provide a wonderful vacation spot and were a pleasure to work with.
This house was an amazing house with sunning river views. It was also fully equipped to House eleven people comfortably. The kitchen was also modern and new with a nice big farmhouse table for all to sit. Will definitely rent again.
The perfect house for our getaway
We recently stayed at this home for a week-long getaway. We had folks come in from all around the country and once we reached the destination... we were so thankful that the house and all the descriptions on HomeAway matched exactly.
The house was perfect for our needs. Views from all over the house out to the water were spectacular. The kitchen and dining area ideally suited our group of 8. We never felt that we were in each other's way.
We appreciated all the extras around the house: Bikes, yard games, deck chairs, movies, gaming systems, etc.
Cobb Island may not be a destination for us in future trips, but if we could clone this house and take it to other waterfront locations, we would do it in a heartbeat.
There were only a few negative things:
The outdoor grill was functional but not easy to use as the valves malfunctioned making it difficult to control temperature. The outdoor picnic table was not safe for more than a couple people to sit on. There were a lot of bugs and cobwebs around all the entrances to the house which did not appear to be taken care of in several weeks. The yard had a lot of weeds, and it bugged a few in our party so much that they went out and pulled them out themselves.
Lastly, we reached out to the owners via email on three occasions to request if our dogs would be welcome (the house is listed as pet-friendly and there are listed prices within the rental contract). Sadly, we never received a response, which unfortunately added expenses for boarding.
Thanks much for your review, the views really are breath taking, we will get the Cobb webs outside and grill taken care of.
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
Minimum age to rent property is 30 years old.