Our family fell in love with this charming historic cottage near the lighthouse in Westport. We would love to share it with others in search of a relaxing stay at the beach. The original cottage was built in 1913 by Captain Charles Jacobsen, who was head of the Grays Harbor lifesaving station for many years. It was lovingly restored by the previous owners, creating a comfortable retreat with a tranquil garden.
The cottage is a 10 minute stroll to the beach and is close to the oceanfront walking/bike path which leads to the marina. There are miles of quiet and beautiful beaches to explore.
The historic home has been meticulously restored and extended. It retains the character of an early fishing cottage but has all modern amenities and comforts. Extensive use has been made of locally milled timbers and traditional craftsmanship.
Your well behaved dogs will enjoy the 1/3 acre fully fenced yard.
There is plenty of parking with a 2 car garage and a large gravel pad out front suitable for boats or trailers. We have some bikes that you are welcome to use (currently 2 women's, 1 men's). We also provide beach towels and beach chairs.
The kitchen is well equipped with dishwasher, reproduction gas stove, farmhouse sink, microwave, slow cooker, drip filter coffee maker, French press, blender, toaster, panini press and ample pots and pans, dinnerware etc.
The house has a small sitting room with a futon sofa and armchair. This is a lovely place to read in front of the cozy gas fireplace in winter. We have a small library of books on the history of the area.
The dining room has seating for 6 around an antique farmhouse table.
The master bedroom is spacious and has a queen bed, a day bed and a gas fireplace. Cable TV is available in the armoire in the bedroom. We have high speed WiFi but no phone. We also provide a travel crib for our youngest guests.
Upstairs you'll find a cute attic bedroom with 2 twin beds. As mentioned elsewhere, the stairs leading to this room are very steep as is often the case with historic buildings.
There are two bathrooms, one with a small claw foot bath tub, the other with a bath and shower over the bath. A washer and dryer are available for guests.
Shampoo, conditioner and soap are provided along with fluffy towels and crisp cotton sheets.
There is a large Weber gas grill on the deck along with outdoor furniture. The rocking chairs on the front porch are the perfect spot to watch the humming birds feeding on the flowers in the front garden.
Our dog guests enjoy a fully fenced yard, a large dog bed with removable cover, feed and water bowls, dog towels and shampoo. We do ask that you pick up after your pets and we provide clean-up bags.
Please follow our FB page for local events and cottage updates under Captain Jacobsen Cottage, Westport WA.
Things to do:
1. The beach: Walk for miles on the long, quiet beaches. Great for dogs and kids as there are no vehicles allowed on the beach in Westport. Beachcombing for sand dollars, agate and other treasures. Take the beach chairs and a beverage to watch the sun set over the water.
2. Biking: Ride along the ocean front path or around town. There are bikes in the garage for you to enjoy. We like to ride to the marina/docks for lunch or ice cream.
3. Surfing: Go surfing or watch the surfers and kite surfers at Half Moon Bay. It is on the way to the marina along the ocean path, just near the parking lot or you can drive there. There are a couple of places in town to rent surfboards.
4. History: Climb the tallest lighthouse in Washington just a couple of minutes walk from the cottage. It is open most weekends and sometimes other days of the week. Also check out the Maritime Museum near the docks which has a stunning Fresnel lens from Destruction Island lighthouse. We have a collection of books at the cottage on the history of the area.
5. The Docks: Wander around the docks to view the fishing fleet and see the sea lions playing. Buy some fresh seafood to cook back at the cottage.
6. Clam Digs: Look out for the dates for razor clam digs. We have clam digging equipment in the garage.
7. Fishing and crabbing: Book a fishing charter trip or fish from the beach or docks.
8. Eat and drink: We like Blackbeard’s Brewing Co. just a short walk from the cottage for pizza and beer brewed on the premises. Also good are Bennett’s Fish Shack at the docks and Cranberry Road Winery on the State Route back towards Grayland. If you are looking for a big breakfast try Blue Buoy near the docks.
9. Whale watching: From March to May book a whale watching trip.
10. Festivals: Westport has a variety of festivals throughout the year. Check the Westport-Grayland Chamber of Commerce site for upcoming festivals.
11. Shop: there are a number of stores offering souvenirs, clothing and homewares. My favorite is Pomegranate in Grayland.
12. Stay in! The cottage is cozy and comfortable. Play board games, read in front of the fire, watch cable in bed, cook a great meal, take a long bath, sit on the front porch and watch the humming birds.