Historic 18th century stone mill, transformed into a home in the 1960s. The Salvato Mill is set within nature with waterfalls, stone walls and large outdoor entertaining spaces. Inside, the house boasts stylish mid-century design set against a rustic backdrop. Comfortably sleeps 8.
Just two hours north of NYC in the leafy Hudson Valley, this stately 18th-century water mill has stood the test of time and has been lovingly transformed by two generations of the Salvato family. The current owner’s architect and interior designer parents began restoring and transforming her childhood home in the 1960s. Today, it stands as a striking testament to their love and appreciation of this distinctive property.
Smartly but lightly decorated with a mix of vintage and antique pieces and original art from the family’s collection, the home exudes warmth, character and effortless style. Nestled in its own lush grounds with tall trees, waterfalls, stone walls and large outdoor entertaining areas, the property is easily accessible from the nearby county route 82, which is just under 200 feet away. Inside, the house boasts stylish mid-century design set against a rustic backdrop. Open living spaces combine with intimate private nooks to make this property a unique opportunity to experience.
The main floor of the Mill has a large living room with several shuttered windows, a large dining table, a fireplace, a wood stove, a large flat screen TV with DVD player and a grand piano. It may have a few tuning issues but still has the charm! The kitchen is fully equipped with an additional seated breakfast area. There is a half-bathroom on this floor.
Upstairs, there’s a cozy sitting room with a wood burning stove and double French doors that lead to a deck and courtyard with a grill and dining space. The master bedroom comes with its own wood burning stove and bathroom. There are three additional double bedrooms upstairs, one with an additional loft bed, all with waterfall views. There is an additional bathroom (besides the master) on this floor.
The Salvato Mill is a rustic and charming home. Its waterfall and stream provide an incredible swimming experience in the summer months. It is located near Millbrook and Rhinebeck and is 2 hours from NYC via the Taconic Parkway.
The Salvato Mill is listed on The National Register of Historic Places. To read more about its fascinating rich history, please go to it's Wikipedia page by googling "Bloomvale Historic District." If you want to see photos of the conversion from the Mill to a home in the 1960's, please go to our website by googling "Salvato Mill."
*** PLEASE READ THIS SECTION CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU BOOK***
- NATURE ALERT! The Salvato Mill is situated beside a natural flowing stream that actually runs through the side of the building and is surrounded by wild green landscape, so when you venture out on the property you might, if you’re lucky, encounter deer, rabbits, eagles, beaver, turtles and fireflies. However, your experience with nature might involve seeing non-venomous water snakes, crazy looking bugs and scary spiders. And while we have your attention, we would also like to point out that although extremely rare, a bat has been known to fly into the building. In the summer of 2018, we installed sonic devices and outdoor bat houses to keep them out but can’t guarantee their effectiveness. You might also see a spider inside the house due to the exposed stone walls and although we do our best to keep them out, the occasional cheeky mouse might pop in. If you are not comfortable being so close to nature then it could be that The Salvato Mill is not for you and that you would be happier in a more traditional rental.
- The stairs leading up to the mill may not be suitable for the very elderly or infirm.
- In autumn and winter, the central heating is switched on but wood stoves and space heaters in bedrooms may have to be used for additional heating. In summer, there is one AC in the main living room and one in the master bedroom but everywhere else only has fans. The Mill’s stone walls do a great job at keeping it cool but it can still be a bit humid at times.
- Sorry, no young children due to liability concerns.
- Although you can't see any neighboring houses from the Mill, you can hear the road (Route 82), and the road bridge is visible from the waterfalls.
The home is fully furnished, including 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, large open plan living & dining room, eat in kitchen, sitting room, 3 wood burning stoves, large deck, courtyard, extensive grounds and parking.
- Master Bedroom - 1 queen (with full bath and woodstove)
- Bedroom 2 - 1 double
- Bedroom 3 - 2 single/twin beds and 1 lofted bed (up a ladder)
- Bedroom 4 - 1 double
Kitchen includes electric stove, oven, dishwasher, fridge, toaster. Fully equipped. Gas grill outside on deck.