Ledgeview: Comfortable Home in Woods Near Ocean, Lakes, and Mountains, Acadia(2 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:6 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
About the Property
3 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, sleeps 6 or more, deck, wifi, television
Hiking: Favorite hikes include
1) Beach Mountain, the nearest mountain to Ledgeview, with great views, some scrambling up ledge, but enjoyed by even 3 or 4 year olds. Moderate difficulty
3) Gorge trail up Mt. Cadillac
4) Walk to Jordan Pond along carriage road then have popovers and tea
Swimming & paddling: Our favorite swimming areas are:
1) Long Pond, about 1 1/2 miles from Ledgeview, where there is a roped-off swimming area with float, near the dock and ramp where rental canoes and kayaks can be put in from the rental place across the road from the swimming area. Wildlife includes ducks, loons, and eagles nesting in the next bay around the point. Porta potty but no changing booths
2) Echo Lake, including the beach area at the end toward SW Harbor, with lifeguards, toilets, changing rooms, foot rinser, ramp for wheelchairs; for adults or older children who are good swimmers, the bluffs are a favorite spot because children like to jump or dive into the water from the rocky shore. About 3 miles. There is a Park public toilet at the edge of the parking area (for Acadia Mountain)
3) Sand Beach, a must, but suitable for wading only without a wet suit, except on hot August days. Requires an Acadia Park pass to reach the beach, unless you find the back roads to a nearby parking area.
Peaceful pursuits: Garden enthusiasts will like
1) the Azalea Garden in Northeast Harbor, modeled after Japanese gardens, beautiful in any season even when the azaleas and rhododendrons are past.
2) Thuya Garden, Northeast harbor, with wooden gates carved by Charles Savage.
Check with the Park information center for dates and times then the Rockefeller garden is open, near Seal Harbor.
There are often paying garden tours on a Saturday afternoon, with visits to a number of homes.
Concerts. There is a lot of music available in the summer months, including a jazz festival, a chorale (usually early August at the Episcopal Church in Bar Harbor), and delightful (and free) band concerts in the park in Bar Harbor, Monday and Thursday at peak season.
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
Member since: 2009
- 1800 sq. ft.
- Max. occupancy 6
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Suitable For Elderly Or Infirm
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Bedrooms have large closets with double louvered sliding doors and chest of drawers. Three large windows look out onto deck and woods. Extra cots or single mattresses are available. One upstairs bedroom has queen size bed. Extra queen size mattress available with advance notice. Downstairs/ground floor bedroom located next to main bathroom. Crib available, but would need to be assembled....moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- Downstairs bath has two stalls and a separate shower/tub enclosure.
- Great combination of outdoor sports - favorites are hiking, swimming, boating, deep sea fishing, whale watching - and access to shopping and night life. Comfortable and quiet retreat in the woods with views of ledge, moss, and trees for relaxation. Upright piano. When using grill on deck, keep a safe distance from railing and house (1 foot) Small children friendly: baby gates at top and bottom of stairs and at each end of the deck. Booster seat and high chair available for guests with small children. Crib is available, though not set up. High chair in closet by kitchen table....moreless
- Books For Adults
- Books For Kids
- DVD Player
- Games For Kids
- Satellite / Cable
- Away From It All
- Autumn Foliage
- Live Theater
- Recreation Center
- Water Parks
Local Services & Businesses
- Fitness Center
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Horseback Riding
- Outlet Shopping
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Whale Watching
- Mountain View:
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Deepsea Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Ice Skating
- Mountain Biking
- Mountain Climbing
- Pier Fishing
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Water Skiing
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Seating for 7 people
- Alarm Clock
- Basic Soaps
- Clothes Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Laundry Soap
- Linens Provided
- Local Activities Guide
- Local Maps
- Local Restaurant Guide
- Paper Towels
- Parking Off Street
- Toilet Paper
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wireless Internet
- 4 Ring Stove
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- Lobster Pot
- Pantry Items
- Outdoor Grill Gas
- Wood Deck
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
6 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $500
- Cleaning over $125 $1 + tax
- Tax Rate 9%
Please inquire for rate information.
Monthly rate for extended 'winter' rentals $600/month
inquire about purchase of accidental damage insurance through HomeAway ($79 for $3,000 coverage) in lieu of the returnable damage deposit of $500
Owner's cancellation policy:
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Mount Desert island is home to one of the loveliest national parks in the country, featuring hiking on mountain trails and carriage roads, swimming and boating in lakes and the ocean, and cycling on safe trails or on Ocean Drive, while offering the fun of night life and shopping in Bar Harbor or outlets in Ellsworth. Museums offer insight into the history and natural history of the Island. Summer events include a jazz festival and a summer chorale, parades, theater, and art shows.
Other Activities: Gardens
Golf: Mt Desert Island has three golf courses: in Northeast Harbor, Southwest Harbor and Bar Harbor.
Ski: The miles and miles of carriage roads in Acadia National Park are ideal for cross-country skiing when there is snow.
Year Purchased: 1986
About the owner: We are college professors who love working with our hands as well as teaching and leading young people to gain international, intercultural understanding. Dick has studied both the oral folklore of the Island -- the tall-tale tradition -- and the social and geographical design features of the lobster-boat building tradition. Our extended family built this house with our own hands, including my father in his 80s. For Richard, born in Cambridge, MA, MDI is always home, harboring the maritime culture of his father and ancestors.
Why the Owner Chose Mount Desert, ME, USA:
We built this house with our own hands to be a gathering place for family and friends. The youngest builder was 10-year old niece, Clair, the oldest grandfather George, age 81. Richard's ancestors are buried on this island; and we follow in the tradition of his father, who, with help of his brothers, collected field stone to build a house on Somes Sound in the 1930s. All the children and grandchildren are "imprinted" on this place.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
We love the quiet of the deck in the woods, the warm feel of the wood of the house around us, the easy access to Acadia National Park swimming and boating areas and hiking trails, and, for some, the shopping and evening entertainment.
- Primary: +1 2072449946 8:00 - 22:00
- Secondary: +1 3152129789 8:00 - 22:00
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Ledgeview, from peaceful deck side overlooking ledge and woods
Ledgeview deck comfortable seating areas with view of woods
Kitchen and dining table
Ground floor bedroom and computer table
Bedroom 3 with cathedral ceiling - view to SE. big closet
Long Pond swim area & dock, next to boat launch.
Lobster dinner on the deck
Sunset from Cadillac Mountain
Top of south Bubble. Easy favorite hike for all ages.
rowing in Somesville Harbor-passing on the skills
Upstairs bedroom, cathedral ceiling, large closet, view onto woods
Upstairs loft library corner
Living Room, comfortable place for relaxing with family
Deck --east end, tables & lobster! Gas grill (charcoal also available)
Deck - quiet conversation or contemplation, cup of coffee, glass of ...
Ground floor bedroom with view of deck
Downstairs bath, stalls, sinks, from shower side
Living room with raftered ceiling, from atrium (radiant floor heat)
From Cadillac mountain looking down on Bar Islands
Beach combing in Seal Harbor at low tide beside float.
View of harbor while having lunch on the dock
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.