Peaceful Mountain Retreat, Sleeps 8!
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:3 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Highlands house description
Enjoy a mountain escape in our 3 bedroom, 3 bath mountain home with a Den/4th bedroom. The house sleeps 8 so bring the kids or leave them at home and just come with friends.
It's walking distance to town (less than 1 mile), so take a quick trip for lunch at one of the many fabulous restaurants or just 'shop til you drop' at the amazing shops on Main Street.
The large back deck with a gas grill overlooks trees, plants, birds, squirrels and chipmunks and awaits you for an outdoor feast.
Can't sit still, then nearby you'll find Hiking, Waterfalls, Horseback Riding, Whitewater Rafting, Mining, Fishing (trout and bass), Golf, weekly area auction at Scudder's Estate Auction House, and in winter you can go Skiing or Snowboarding. All the fun you can handle in one vacation.
Then, kick back and rest while watching a little Cable TV, Surfing the Internet or watching a good DVD. Call around using the Local Phone service provided to schedule that all important massage at Condé Nast’s Top Hotel Spa in North America, the Old Edwards Inn and Spa.
There are things to do and see in every season. For more information about the local area check out the Highlands Chamber of Commerce at www.highlandschamber.org.
- 2230 sq. ft.
- 3 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Non Smoking Only
- Children Welcome
- Pets Not Allowed
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 6-8
- King size beds (1), Double Beds (2), Sleep Sofa or Futons (1) Queen
Bathrooms: 3 Bathrooms
Kitchen & Dining
- Cooking Utensils
- Coffee Maker
- Clothes Dryer
- Linens Provided
- Wood Fireplace
- Washing Machine
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
- Broadband Access
- Wireless Internet
- Deck / Patio
- Outdoor Grill
Location & View
- Mountain View
- Fly Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Medical Services
- Rock Climbing
- Whitewater Rafting
- Water Tubing
- Hunting Small Game
- Mountain Biking
- Mountain Climbing
- Bird Watching
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Eco Tourism
- Scenic Drives
- Horseback Riding
- Live Theater
- Recreation Center
- Fitness Center
- Massage Therapist
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
- Highlands has been a mountain respite for over a century allowing our visitors to unwind while being treated to the finest amenities. We feature several spas for those requiring special attention. Our accommodations range from historic inns and quaint bed and breakfasts to hotels and cabins. Homes are available for rent by the week or month. For your dining experience, you may sample various culinary cuisines from over twenty restaurants including five who have been awarded the coveted Wine Spectator Award of Excellence. Nature is never far away with waterfalls, hiking trails, and varied outdoor adventures awaiting you. You can experience llama treks to all terrain vehicle tours through the forests. White water rafting is nearby. For those less adventurous, there is horseback riding, canoeing, swimming, tennis, and golf. If you are looking for a cultural experience, we have professional summer stock theater at the Highlands Playhouse, the 25th anniversary of Highlands Cashiers Chamber Music concerts, the American Museum of Cut and Engraved Glass, and varied other productions. The Center for Life Enrichment offers several classes each week on varied topics. Enjoy the auction at Scudders or shows at various art galleries. Several non profits have events throughout the year. Check our calendar for events by the Highlands Historical Society, Bascom Louise Gallery, The Mountain Retreat and Learning Center, Carpe Diem Farms, the Art League of Highlands, the Highlands Plateau Audubon Society, and Mountain Garden Club. Shopping in our little village includes unique shops featuring art, antiques, clothing, jewelry, crafts, home furnishing, and a broad range of retail selections not found at your neighborhood mall. Young people can enjoy programs at the Highlands Nature Center, Performing Arts Center, Highlands Playhouse, and the Highlands Recreation Center. --Courtesy of Highlands Chamber of Commerce...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Spacious, quiet, perfect week long getaway.
Spacious, quiet, perfect week long getaway.
We have been to Highlands many times in the past and this house was a great place to stay. It was quiet, clean, spacious, and it had everything we needed to get away from our busy lives back home. My wife and I can't wait to go back.
- Guest Jason (Orlando, FL)
- Date of stay 08/09/12
- Review Submitted 08/23/12
Recommended for: Families with teenagers, sightseeing, romantic getaway, age 55+, families with young children, girls getaway, adventure seekers.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
|My Standard Rate
3 night min stay
- Cleaning Fee: $150
- Refundable Damage Deposit: $500
- Taxes Not included
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date.
This owner accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Train: Great Smokey Mountain Trains-Scenic Tour gsmr.com at 51.6 Miles
- Nearest Motorway: Highway 64 at 0.3 Miles
- Nearest Ski: Sapphire Valley Ski Resort at 13.8 Miles
- Nearest Golf: Golf at Old Edwards Club at 1.3 Miles
- Nearest Restaurant: At least 10 choices from Pizza to Gourmet at 1 Miles
Year Purchased: 1988
About the owner: We're the Hester Family and this is our mountain home, thanks to Mom and Dad and the Hall Family too, some of us have been coming to Highlands since the 1950's. Wow. Lots of changes since then. But loads of memories! We love it so much and now we'll sharing it with you if you like.
Why the Owner Chose Highlands:
Back in the 1950's Curt Hester started bringing the family to Highlands. Their dear friends the Halls had come to Highlands and fallen in love with the area. After many summer trips to the area, Curt decided it was time to go ahead and buy some property. So in the 70's he bought a few lots in the area. Then in the 80's when it was getting close to retirement time, Curt decided to build his dream home in Highlands. By 1990 Curt and Hazel had moved to Highlands permanently. They enjoyed the beauty of the area and had many picnics by the lakes, streams and while sitting on top of sunset rock. They remained in Highlands until 2011 leaving a family legacy of beauty and love of the mountains.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
Our 3 story home is a great place to bring people together but also a great place to get a little alone time. Just send the kids to the Den and you've got the upstairs all to yourself. Walk down through the back of the property and hang out on a bench in the woods and just soak up nature. Or lounge on the deck and listen to the wind in the trees. Coffee on the deck in the early morning is amazing!!! Just a whoosh and a whistle of the wind to keep you company and occasionally a curious squirrel!
- Primary: +1 407-308-2080
- Fax: +1 866-610-1903
On Golden Hillside, our beautiful mountain home with majestic mountain views.
Dine in style and comfort. It's all here, wine glasses too! You supply the wine.
Even in summer some nights are chilly, and you'll be glad for the fireplace
Snuggle up in the Master Suites king bed and relax after a long active day.
Cuddle up in squishy bed after a fun day.
A quick bath or shower after a long play filled day.
Nature is flitting just off the back deck.
Sit by one of many streams in the area and de-stress!
Feels like spring!
In winter, you'll need your snow boots sometimes!
Eat outdoors in the fresh mountain air.
Kick back with family and friends.
Sometimes you just want to hang out and watch TV!
The master baths walk in shower awaits you after your adventures.
Country charm and a comfy bed! What could be better.
Relax in the Den and watch a movie or send the kids down and have some privacy.
Hike out to breathtaking sites like Dry Falls. Just minutes from your hide away.
Hike up to Sunset Rock for a picnic and a spectacular view!
Even the small stuff can be breath taking!
Walking in a winter wonderland!
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Monday, July 22, 2013
3 Bedroom / 3 Bathroom
Get a rental quote, then book it!
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.