About the property
- Cottage800 sqft
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay2 - 7 nights
Charming 2BR 1BA Lakefront Cottage, Sleeps 4
TOP TEN REASONS TO STAY AT FIREFLY COTTAGE
1. Our charming cottage sits 100 feet from the shore of Hobbs Pond in a quiet, private setting under beautiful trees. It sleeps four very comfortably in two bedrooms with pine floors, one with a queen bed and the other with two twin beds. Full bathroom with shower/tub. Well equipped kitchen. Attractively decorated with braided rugs and comfortable furnishings. WiFi, flat screen TV with DVD player, board games, DVDs, books, deck with gas grill and picnic table, kid friendly. Hammock to take a nap in. Quality bed linens are provided on the beds. The seaside town of Camden is just a 10 minute drive away. Rentals run Saturday to Saturday in July and August. Two night minimum stay in June, Sept and October. Firefly Cottage is the BEST value on Hobbs Pond and especially in the surrounding area.
2. A peaceful, pristine, spring fed lake is right at your door step! Offering great swimming and fishing plus two kayaks, a dock and a swim float. Our lake side deck is a great place to sit and enjoy the sound of the loons or the pretty views of our coastal mountains. A small firepit to roast marshmallows sits next to the deck. Steps lead down into the lake for easy access.
3. We may be a small town but our area is resplendent with cultural attractions. Museums, art galleries, music festivals, Lobster Festival, film festival, wineries, antique stores and shows/music/movies at the Camden Opera House and Strand Theater are just a fraction of the things to do here.
4. The Great Outdoors: This is where the mountains meet the sea and we have many hiking trails for all abilities that allow you to see it all. Follow the trails in Camden Hills State Park, Coastal Mountain Land Trust and Georges River Land Trust. You can also rent bikes to cruise our local back roads.
5. Our area is a Foodies Paradise. Camden, Rockport and Rockland are home to many fine, great restaurants of all kinds. Cooking classes are also offered locally. Hope has it's own pub (Hatchet Mountain Public House) where the locals unwind with a mug a beer. Many restaurants have outdoor seating in the summer, some with tables right on Camden Harbor.
6. Speaking of Camden Harbor, our harbor hosts a hub of activities including sailing, kayaking, paddleboarding and sightseeing. Take a two hour cruise on an historical schooner such as the Appledore or Olad. We delight in the vast array of tall masted ships that sail through our waters.
7. Lobster! Maine's iconic food can be enjoyed in so many ways. From lobster roll shacks to gourmet preparations, you'll find plenty of ways to scratch your lobster itch at our local restaurants. The Maine Lobster Festival is held in early August. Firefly Cottage is also equipped with a lobster pot so that you can cook your own.
8. Gateway to Downeast: We are centrally located on Maine's midcoast making us an ideal launching point for explorations to Acadia National Park, Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens, lighthouses, beaches, Fort Knox (bring your flashlights) and many other fun places to explore.
9. The People: Our area's rare beauty is paralleled by its sense of place. Perhaps it's due to our cold Maine winters when we all look after each other, but the people who call our area home are some of the most friendly, ruggedly refined folks you will ever meet. You will be welcomed with open arms.
10. Firefly Cottage is THE best value on Hobbs Pond and especially in our surrounding area. We want you to have an affordable vacation while still experiencing an attractive, comfortable and clean place to stay while you are visiting. The cottage is close enough to the owners' home (2 miles) that we can be of assistance to our guests if needed, while still offering you privacy. We truly live in an authentically quaint and charming community. We take pride in our community and it's surroundings and hope that is reflected in everything we do. Unplug, unwind and enjoy your family and friends in a place you will want to return to again and again.
FIREFLY COTTAGE IS A SMOKE FREE HOME. NO PETS, PLEASE. MAXIMUM OCCUPANCY IS 4 GUESTS. ALL BED LINENS ARE PROVIDED. WE ASK THAT YOU BRING YOUR OWN TOWELS.
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within one day
- Calendar last updated:
- Apr 14, 2018
About Kathryn Swift
My husband and I run two local businesses. Firefly Restoration Co restores antique fire trucks. Misty Mountain Seed Co. offers seed gifts at gift shops throughout New England. We have raised two sons in Hope and believe in giving back to our community, previously running the Hope 4 Jazz Festival and helping to raise funds to preserve Hatchet Mountain.
Kathryn Swift purchased this Cottage in 2000
Why Kathryn Swift chose Hope
Hobbs Pond is one of the most pristine and quietest lakes in the area with awesome swimming, boating, fishing, loons and other wildlife. You will experience privacy, peace and quiet when you want it, yet are still close to many things to do and see. Camden is just a 10 minute drive away with many activities, restaurants, shops and galleries. Acadia National Park is a wonderful day trip.
What makes this Cottage unique
The lakeside deck is a wonderful place to sit by the lake, watch the kids swim, have a drink and offers gorgeous views of the Camden Hills. Loons abound in the lake and you will enjoy their calls. Our hammock is the perfect place to take a nap. The cottage is close enough to our home (2 miles) that we can be of assistance to our guests if needed, while still offering you privacy.
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 10:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
Amazing lake house!
I had a great experience at Firefly cottage. The location is unbeatable with the lake right in the backyard. I would love to return next summer!
Thank you for the great review! The lake is one of the quieter lakes in the area and also home to a lot of wildlife, including the loons. We enjoyed having you as our guest and look forward to your return.
Perfect Maine Getaway!
We had a wonderful stay! The house is small, cozy, and comfortable for 4 people. It is very clean, well stocked and welcoming with sweet cabin-theme decorating. The wifi is great. Hobbs Pond has crystal clear water with a clean sandy bottom -- and loons! There is a steep but navigable path from the house deck to the pond deck. We loved the house deck which is nice and big with a huge picnic table for eating outside, and the pond deck is smaller but still a nice size. The pond deck has stairs from the deck to the pond making it easy to go swimming. We would used the kayaks but they were too heavy and difficult to get into the water. We loved the loons calling!
Thank you for your wonderful review. Hobbs Pond is one of the cleanest lakes in our area and has great fishing and other wildlife on it. Our kayaks are made out of the same plastic as tupperware is. They are lighter than fiberglass kayaks and more rugged. If they fill with water, they can get very heavy. We are happy to help out with the kayaks and are just a phone call away. We hope you return again someday.
Cozy, quiet, and beautiful
Firefly Cottage is in a lovely and super-quiet rural location in Hope, about ten minutes from Camden. It has a beautiful view and is incredibly quiet. The house is small but makes very good use of the space. It is quite comfortable for four people. There is a private dock, kayaks, etc. Internet is solid. My AT&T phone didn't work here; my Verizon phone did. The kitchen is rustic and small but has all of the essentials. The owner provides 2 gallons of bottled water for drinking/cooking. The living area and kitchen table seat 4. The beds are very comfortable. There is a small flat-screen tv with a built-in DVD player but the home has no television reception (fine by me as I don't watch tv). The baseboard heaters work very well and there was plenty of hot water. Because of the location of the house (rural, 1 mile in a 1-lane gravel road), I would recommend arriving during daylight; it would be hard to find this house in the dark. The owner provided great directions because GPS is often wrong; our GPS showed us as having arrived when we were still 1/4 mile away from the house. The staircase to the upper floor is super steep and open on one side until half-way up so it is not suitable for anyone with difficulty with stairs. The private dock is down a path and is a beautiful place to relax. We were there in time for the Hope Fall Festival, which was quite delightful. It is a romantic and sweet home. I wish we'd stayed longer than a weekend.
Far exceeded our expectations!
Our family loved this cottage! Our goal on this vacation was to take day trips to many of the harbor towns nearby...only it was very hard to get our kids to leave the cottage because they were having so much fun. It was so relaxing, clean and quiet. I enjoyed my mornings by having my coffee sitting down on the deck and my evening strolls in the kayak. We even had a little fire in the fire pit one night and had smores. This was one of our most enjoyable family vacations. Kathy (the owner) was so helpful to answer all my questions before booking and also gave me suggestions about restaurants and area attractions. I would definitely book this cottage in the future and have already recommended it to family & friends.
Thank you very much Debbie. I'm so glad your family had a wonderful vacation at Firefly Cottage. Hope to see you again someday.
Property was just as described in an excellent setting and equipped.Great week was had by the family and we were entertained daily with the Chipmunks and Red Squirrels as well as the Loons.
Fishing on the lake was good with a couple of nice sized bass caught.Added bonus was watching a Bobcat coming up from the Lake past the house.
Would definately recommend this property.
Another Pleasant Stay
What a week it was at Firefly Cottage!
The weather was perfect, the fishing was OUTSTANDING, and the chipmunks were quite 'talkative'. (Lots of chatter between them up in the trees...makes for a fun 5 o'clock Happy Hour on the waterfront deck! ) :-D
Noticed more loons this year, which is always a good sign! On Wednesday afternoon, 'Momma Loon' left 'Baby Loon' about 10 feet down the shoreline off the dock to go rustle up some grub. When she returned 'Baby Loon' flapped its wings in excitement and swam out quickly to 'Momma'. Very precious moment that can only be witnessed on the quiet tranquil lakes and ponds of Mid Coast Maine!
Once again, a big THANK YOU to the Swift family for making us feel right at home. The 'welcome basket' is a special touch.
We'll be in touch soon to inquire about Summer 2013!
Thank you Jim. So glad you and your family had a great stay!
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
2016 Season From $950/Week $1800/Two Weeks plus 8 % Maine state lodging tax JUNE THROUGH AUGUST. - $950/week $1800 for 2 weeks + 8% lodging tax. SEPT AND OCT - $150/night with a minimum two night stay. $950/week