|Space||1,000 sq. ft.|
|Minimum Stay||2 - 3 nights|
‘Camp Shoop’ is a lovely riverfront home where you will enjoy an abundant taste of the outdoors with the indoor comforts of home.
This unique home utilizes an efficient layout that maximizes the use of a small living space while offering a warm rustic feel with knotty pine walls and custom pine cabinetry. The open floor plan in the front half of the house stylishly combines the kitchen, dining and family room with a vaulted ceiling and skylights. The well equipped kitchen and eating area features custom cabinets with a work island and spacious table. You'll find an abundance of dinnerware, cookware and small appliances to complement the full size appliances. In the family room you’ll enjoy a 42" flat screen TV with DISH network, Hopper 3 DVR, a Blu-ray DVD player and a Wii video gaming system.
The bedrooms boast handsome log furniture, comfortable memory foam mattresses and stylish bedding. The Master Bedroom offers a queen size bed, a half bath and a 42" flat screen TV. The second bedroom offers sturdy full over full bunks. To maximize the open areas in the bedrooms accessories are efficiently organized in closet bins in lieu of dressers to free up floor space.
Outdoors you will enjoy relaxing river sounds and views from the expansive open deck. A spacious covered pavilion equipped with a sound system provides an additional venue to enjoy the outdoors. Kayaks and firewood are provided for your enjoyment.
The property rests on approximately one acre of property in Everett, PA along the Raystown Branch of the Juniata River just a few hundred yards down from the Woy Bridge (Mile 69). The private gravel/dirt lane has no through access which favorably limits traffic to property owners and their guests.
You will find a well maintained cottage on the left and a well maintained home on our right. To the back there are woods. To the front you'll find the river. You can typically expect an abundance of peace and quiet especially during the week. Activity generally increases on the weekends and when neighbors host their summer gatherings.
A trip to Everett for groceries, golf or ice cream is a quick four mile trek. Downtown Bedford, a 13 mile drive, provides many dining options, antique shops, craft shops, historic sights and the prestigious Omni Bedford Springs Resort.
For easy travel access, Camp Shoop is only seven miles from the Breezewood Exit of the PA Turnpike (#161).
What to do at the River….
• Kayak or Tube. When conditions are favorable you can enjoy a scenic float down the Juniata via kayak or tube. Five kayaks are provided. Note: A vehicle(s) of sufficient size or sufficiently equipped is necessary to transport kayaks to/from a drop point upstream or pickup point downstream. Please educate yourself about the river and understand that river conditions will vary according to the precipitation Mother Nature provides.
• Riversit. Pull up a beach chair, sit and enjoy the sounds and the scenery.
• Fish. Go for Bass, Rock Bass, Sunfish, Carp or Catfish. Conditions will determine what’s biting.
• Bowfish for carp, suckers or catfish.
• Relax. Read a book, do a jigsaw puzzle or make yourself comfortable on one of the wooden swings.
• Catch Night Crawlers. On a damp night, you’re likely to find plenty. They make great fishing bait and the catching process provides great entertainment particularly to those watching.
• Build a Campfire, Roast a Marshmallow; Build a S’more.
• Bird Watch. You’re likely to see Osprey, Herons, Hawks and possibly an Eagle.
• Cook. Beyond the indoor cooking facilities, outdoor options for charcoal, gas and limited accessories for over the open fire are provided. Be creative and enjoy! A supplemental refrigerator in the pavilion is available to store your grill foods, overflow beverages, fishing bait, etc.
• Watch TV. Dish TV with Hopper 3 is provided along with a limited movie library. If you’re looking for new releases, please bring them along.
• Play Wii. We offer a limited Wii Video Game Library.
What to do in the Area…..
• Dine Out. There are limited dining options in Everett (4 miles). Breezewood (7 miles) offers options typical of a highway interchange. Downtown Bedford (13 miles) offers non-chain unique options with inviting surroundings typical of a small historic town.
• Go for Ice Cream. The Igloo in Everett is wonderful! (4 miles).
• Golf. The Down River Course in Everett is enjoyable and affordable (4 miles). A more prestigious experience is available at Omni Bedford Springs Resort (15 miles).
• Spa. Visit Omni Bedford Springs Resort (15 miles).
• Antiquing/Craft Shopping. Downtown Bedford (13 miles).
• History. Visit Fort Bedford Museum (13 miles) and/or Old Bedford Village in Bedford (17 miles).
• State Parks. Shawnee State Park in Schellsburg (24 miles). Blue Knob All Seasons Resort in Claysburg (38 miles).
• Flight 93 Memorial, Stoystown (36 miles).
• Casino. Rocky Gap, Cumberland, MD (41 miles)
• Fish, Boat, Swim. Raystown Lake in Huntingdon (50 miles).
• Lakemont Amusement Park, Altoona, PA. (48 miles).
• DelGrosso Amusement Park, Tipton, PA. (60 miles).
When to Visit….
Summer means warmer weather, picnics and swimsuits. From Memorial Day to Labor Day you’ll encounter the most visitors at the river.
The Autumn leaves are beautiful and a great time to attend the annual Fall Foliage Festival in downtown Bedford the first two weekends in October. As the freeze risk increases, the seasonal dwellings close.
Winter is desolate, yet delightful. Winter is a lovely time for a romantic getaway or a quiet family retreat over the holidays. A 4WD vehicle during the winter months is recommended as Pharr Road is a private lane which receives no routine winter maintenance.
Springtime brings the welcome transition from Winter. Historically, late Spring has been the best time to kayak
Camp Shoop is absolutely smoke free indoors and on the deck.
Well behaved adult dogs are welcome when accompanied by responsible owners (pre-approval required).
Note on Wi-Fi: dishNET Satellite High Speed Internet is the only internet option available for our rural location and comes with capacity limitations. dishNet Satellite is great for web browsing and email. It will not support video streaming services such as Netflix or Hulu. Additionally, it will not support online gaming via PlayStation or Xbox Live.
To compensate for the video streaming restrictions associated with wifi limitations, the TV service package was upgraded to include the additional features of Hopper 3.
Our family of four resides in Boiling Springs, PA.
Sandy Shoop purchased this house in 2007
In 2005 we began to feel 'boxed in' the lovely sidewalk community that we call home. We yearned for a place to escape with our two young boys, then ages 7 and 10.
Our boys showed early interest in fishing so our criteria was that the property had to have water access and be within two hours of home so that we could enjoy it on a regular basis. After 2 years of searching when we least expected it, we found our diamond in the rough. It was July 2007. Properties like these are rare and often come available only by word of mouth. We were fortunate to be in the right place at the right time and know the right people.
The scenario was an older couple had decided to finally part with their property that had been in their family and cherished for many years. The maintenance of the property eventually became burdensome for them. We were ecstatic.
In 2009 the old structures were removed and we built what we now affectionately call Camp Shoop. You can see the old structures on our Facebook Page.
Our river home getaway is small but warm, comfortable and convenient. Over the past eight years, our boys now 19 and 16 have grown up with the river and literally grown up in the river. If it swims or crawls chances are that they can catch it.
Our family schedule no longer allows us to use the property on a regular basis so in 2014 we decided to share it with others as a vacation rental. It has been a rewarding experience thus far. We are fortunate to have met many wonderful people along the way.
The unique location of our property offers a bountiful taste of the outdoors with the comforts of home. It is conveniently located about 80 miles from our home in Boiling Springs so we can easily travel to and from on a weekend whim. It is near Everett for groceries and restaurants but feels farther away. We have direct water access to the river in front of our home. The house is elevated to comply with the 100 year flood plain.
My husband, our dog, and I had such a nice weekend at Camp Shoop. The place is really clean and comfortable. We loved spending time outside grilling or hiking along the river...and inside relaxing and playing Wii! We were also very appreciative of the communication from Sandy in advance and after our stay - it made the experience that much more enjoyable. Would love to return again soon! Thanks for having us.
Clean and lovely. Would be great place to spend a summer with kids. Or without them. I especially loved the view of the water.
So for the second year in a row, we rented Camp Shoop for the Fall festival. We absolutely LOVE Camp Shoop. Sandy is one of the nicest people I have ever met (but never met in person!!), and her camp is absolutely the best!! The decor of the cabin is just the coolest - every time we are there we comment on how cool the kitchen cabinets are, the furniture, the stocked kitchen, the stocked shed full of kayaks and chairs and grilling utensils and everything you need for outdoor fun. The abundant wood available for bonfires is awesome!!
The cabin is all labeled so you know where everything is and the kitchen has EVERYTHING you would ever need to save money and cook at home!! She even has two dog bowels ready for your favorite furry friends to have their water and food prepared for them instantly!!
The cabin is also the CLEANEST cabin I have ever been in. You will feel like it was built yesterday!!
I can't stress enough how wonderful this little gem of a cabin is. The memories my family continues to make at Camp Shoop will be with us forever!!
Stop looking elsewhere and rent it now before someone else books it!!
We had a great time at Camp Shoop. We had the opportunity to do some kayaking, fishing, wading and tubing. We also took the Critter Tour saw Bison, Deer, an Emu, Llamas and visited the trout fish hatchery, which was our favorite.
The cabin was absolutely out of this world as we really did not expect all of the accommodations which were available. We hope to come back for another visit.
Thank you, Sandy and Stu for sharing your fabulous cabin with us.
(Lucy and Pepper also send their paws of approval)
The weekend we spent at Camp Shoop was perfect! The cabin was beautiful and very clean. Sandy was a thoughtful and wonderful host. Everything was well beyond my imagination and we will definitely stay there again. Thank you so much for such a great trip!
We are located seven miles from the Breezewood exit of the PA Turnpike (Exit 161) proceeding west on Route 30. The distance from Route 30 to Pharr Road is just 1.7 miles.
Pharr Road is a dirt lane with no through access which favorably limits traffic to property owners, their guests, an occasional sightseer or lost motorist. You'll find less than 20 dwellings along Pharr Road most of which are seasonal.
During the week it is quiet and quite possible that you may share the valley with only a few other individuals. Activity increases on the weekends, particuarly holiday weekends.
At this time only two of the properties along Pharr Road are rental properties.
Information about the Raystown Branch of the Juniata River can be found at http://fishandboat.com/watertrails/juniata/juniata_raystown/raystown_guide_map.pdf
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
Peak Season 2017
May 1 2017 - Nov 1 2017
3 night minimum stay
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
|Cleaning||$50 + Tax|
|Property Damage Protection||$59|
The Service Fee itemized on the detailed line item quote is a fee that HomeAway charges travelers for the privilege and security of using its website and services.