Riverfront Home Just 20 Min from Downtown Bedford~ Kayaks,Firewood,Pavilion,Wifi(33 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:2-3 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
About the Property
2 Bedroom, 1-1/2 Bath, Riverfront along the Raystown Branch of the Junita River
This unique home utilizes an efficient layout that maximizes the use of a small living space while offering a warm rustic feel with knotty pine walls and custom pine cabinetry. The open floor plan in the front half of the house stylishly combines the kitchen, dining and family room with a vaulted ceiling and skylights. The well equipped kitchen and eating area features custom cabinets with a work island and spacious table. You'll find an abundance of dinnerware, cookware and small appliances to complement the full size appliances. In the family room you’ll enjoy a 42" flat screen TV with DISH network, Hopper 3 DVR, a Blu-ray DVD player and a Wii video gaming system.
The bedrooms boast handsome log furniture, comfortable memory foam mattresses and stylish bedding. The Master Bedroom offers a queen size bed, a half bath and a 42" flat screen TV. The second bedroom offers sturdy full over full bunks. To maximize the open areas in the bedrooms accessories are efficiently organized in closet bins in lieu of dressers to free up floor space.
Outdoors you will enjoy relaxing river sounds and views from the expansive open deck. A spacious covered pavilion equipped with a sound system provides an additional venue to enjoy the outdoors. Kayaks and firewood are provided for your enjoyment.
The property rests on approximately one acre of property in Everett, PA along the Raystown Branch of the Juniata River just a few hundred yards down from the Woy Bridge (Mile 69). The private gravel/dirt lane has no through access which favorably limits traffic to property owners and their guests.
You will find a well maintained cottage on the left and a well maintained home on our right. To the back there are woods. To the front you'll find the river. You can typically expect an abundance of peace and quiet especially during the week. Activity generally increases on the weekends and when neighbors host their summer gatherings.
A trip to Everett for groceries, golf or ice cream is a quick four mile trek. Downtown Bedford, a 13 mile drive, provides many dining options, antique shops, craft shops, historic sights and the prestigious Omni Bedford Springs Resort.
For easy travel access, Camp Shoop is only seven miles from the Breezewood Exit of the PA Turnpike (#161).
What to do at the River….
• Kayak or Tube. When conditions are favorable you can enjoy a scenic float down the Juniata via kayak or tube. Five kayaks are provided. Note: A vehicle(s) of sufficient size or sufficiently equipped is necessary to transport kayaks to/from a drop point upstream or pickup point downstream. Please educate yourself about the river and understand that river conditions will vary according to the precipitation Mother Nature provides.
• Riversit. Pull up a beach chair, sit and enjoy the sounds and the scenery.
• Fish. Go for Bass, Rock Bass, Sunfish, Carp or Catfish. Conditions will determine what’s biting.
• Bowfish for carp, suckers or catfish.
• Relax. Read a book, do a jigsaw puzzle or make yourself comfortable on one of the wooden swings.
• Catch Night Crawlers. On a damp night, you’re likely to find plenty. They make great fishing bait and the catching process provides great entertainment particularly to those watching.
• Build a Campfire, Roast a Marshmallow; Build a S’more.
• Bird Watch. You’re likely to see Osprey, Herons, Hawks and possibly an Eagle.
• Cook. Beyond the indoor cooking facilities, outdoor options for charcoal, gas and limited accessories for over the open fire are provided. Be creative and enjoy! A supplemental refrigerator in the pavilion is available to store your grill foods, overflow beverages, fishing bait, etc.
• Watch TV. Dish TV with Hopper 3 is provided along with a limited movie library. If you’re looking for new releases, please bring them along.
• Play Wii. We offer a limited Wii Video Game Library.
What to do in the Area…..
• Dine Out. There are limited dining options in Everett (4 miles). Breezewood (7 miles) offers options typical of a highway interchange. Downtown Bedford (13 miles) offers non-chain unique options with inviting surroundings typical of a small historic town.
• Go for Ice Cream. The Igloo in Everett is wonderful! (4 miles).
• Golf. The Down River Course in Everett is enjoyable and affordable (4 miles). A more prestigious experience is available at Omni Bedford Springs Resort (15 miles).
• Spa. Visit Omni Bedford Springs Resort (15 miles).
• Antiquing/Craft Shopping. Downtown Bedford (13 miles).
• History. Visit Fort Bedford Museum (13 miles) and/or Old Bedford Village in Bedford (17 miles).
• State Parks. Shawnee State Park in Schellsburg (24 miles). Blue Knob All Seasons Resort in Claysburg (38 miles).
• Flight 93 Memorial, Stoystown (36 miles).
• Casino. Rocky Gap, Cumberland, MD (41 miles)
• Fish, Boat, Swim. Raystown Lake in Huntingdon (50 miles).
• Lakemont Amusement Park, Altoona, PA. (48 miles).
• DelGrosso Amusement Park, Tipton, PA. (60 miles).
When to Visit….
Summer means warmer weather, picnics and swimsuits. From Memorial Day to Labor Day you’ll encounter the most visitors at the river.
The Autumn leaves are beautiful and a great time to attend the annual Fall Foliage Festival in downtown Bedford the first two weekends in October. As the freeze risk increases, the seasonal dwellings close.
Winter is desolate, yet delightful. Winter is a lovely time for a romantic getaway or a quiet family retreat over the holidays. A 4WD vehicle during the winter months is recommended as Pharr Road is a private lane which receives no routine winter maintenance.
Springtime brings the welcome transition from Winter. Historically, late Spring has been the best time to kayak
Camp Shoop is absolutely smoke free indoors and on the deck.
Well behaved adult dogs are welcome when accompanied by responsible owners (pre-approval required).
Note on Wi-Fi: dishNET Satellite High Speed Internet is the only internet option available for our rural location and comes with capacity limitations. dishNet Satellite is great for web browsing and email. It will not support video streaming services such as Netflix or Hulu. Additionally, it will not support online gaming via PlayStation or Xbox Live.
To compensate for the video streaming restrictions associated with wifi limitations, the TV service package was upgraded to include the additional features of Hopper 3.
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
Member since: 2014
- 1000 sq. ft.
- Children Welcome:
- Non Smoking Only:
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6, Beds for 6
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bathroom
- DVD Player:
A music library is not provided, however, a sound system has been installed in the outdoor pavilion with an auxiliary cord to connect to your iPod or smart phone. PLEASE be courteous to the neighbors...moreless
- Satellite / Cable:
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Health/Beauty Spa
Local Services & Businesses
- Bird Watching
- Scenic Drives
- Wildlife Viewing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Fly Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Water Tubing
- Air Conditioning:
- Clothes Dryer:
- Hair Dryer
dishNET satellite high speed internet is the only internet service available at our rural location. It is great for web browing and email. It will NOT support video streaming services or online gaming...moreless
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided:
- Living Room:
- Coffee Maker:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Pantry Items:
- Deck / Patio:
Kayak / Canoe:
We offer five kayaks, paddles and life jackets. It is your responsibility to educate yourself about the river and kayaking. A vehicle is required to transport to/from a drop or pickup point....moreless
- Lawn / Garden:
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Peak Season 2017
May 1 - Nov 1, 2017
3 night min stay
Fri, Sat, Sun
My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
Fri, Sat, Sun
Additional information about rental rates
Fees and Rental Conditions:
- Cleaning $50 + tax
- Property Damage Protection $59
- Tax Rate 6%
The Service Fee itemized on the detailed line item quote is a fee that HomeAway charges travelers for the privilege and security of using its website and services.
Owner's cancellation policy:
100% refund for cancellations more than 60 days before check-in date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
We are located seven miles from the Breezewood exit of the PA Turnpike (Exit 161) proceeding west on Route 30. The distance from Route 30 to Pharr Road is just 1.7 miles.
Pharr Road is a dirt lane with no through access which favorably limits traffic to property owners, their guests, an occasional sightseer or lost motorist. You'll find less than 20 dwellings along Pharr Road most of which are seasonal.
During the week it is quiet and quite possible that you may share the valley with only a few other individuals. Activity increases on the weekends, particuarly holiday weekends.
At this time only two of the properties along Pharr Road are rental properties.
Information about the Raystown Branch of the Juniata River can be found at http://fishandboat.com/watertrails/juniata/juniata_raystown/raystown_guide_map.pdf
Year Purchased: 2007
About the owner: Our family of four resides in Boiling Springs, PA.
Why the Owner Chose Everett, PA, USA:
In 2005 we began to feel 'boxed in' the lovely sidewalk community that we call home. We yearned for a place to escape with our two young boys, then ages 7 and 10. Our boys showed early interest in fishing so our criteria was that the property had to have water access and be within two hours of home so that we could enjoy it on a regular basis. After 2 years of searching when we least expected it, we found our diamond in the rough. It was July 2007. Properties like these are rare and often come available only by word of mouth. We were fortunate to be in the right place at the right time and know the right people. The scenario was an older couple had decided to finally part with their property that had been in their family and cherished for many years. The maintenance of the property eventually became burdensome for them. We were ecstatic. In 2009 the old structures were removed and we built what we now affectionately call Camp Shoop. You can see the old structures on our Facebook Page. Our river home getaway is small but warm, comfortable and convenient. Over the past eight years, our boys now 19 and 16 have grown up with the river and literally grown up in the river. If it swims or crawls chances are that they can catch it. Our family schedule no longer allows us to use the property on a regular basis so in 2014 we decided to share it with others as a vacation rental. It has been a rewarding experience thus far. We are fortunate to have met many wonderful people along the way.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
The unique location of our property offers a bountiful taste of the outdoors with the comforts of home. It is conveniently located about 80 miles from our home in Boiling Springs so we can easily travel to and from on a weekend whim. It is near Everett for groceries and restaurants but feels farther away. We have direct water access to the river in front of our home. The house is elevated to comply with the 100 year flood plain.
- Primary: 7172458597
Links to more information:
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Welcome to Camp Shoop!
Full Over Full Bunk Beds.
Master Bedroom Half Bath.
View of Front Yard and River from Deck.
Firewood is provided for your nightly campfire.
River in front of the house looking upstream. We provide five kayaks.
Welcome to Camp Shoop!
Kitchen with Custom Crafted Cabinetry, Lighting and Skylight.
Custom Queen Log Bed with Comfortable Memory Foam Mattress Both New Aug 2014.
Full Bath with Custom Vanity Cabinet.
Outdoor Dining on the Deck with River Views.
Covered Pavilion with Dining Table and Sound System. New in June 2015.
Spacious front yard.
The river in front of the house looking downstream.
Pharr Road in Autumn.
I just love this picture. <3
This listing was first published here in 2014.
Date last modified - Friday, April 28, 2017
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.