This cabin-chalet is a unique, charming getaway. You are not likely to find a similar property in Canaan Valley at this price point with the combination of views, decor, amenities, and easy location to everything in and near Canaan Valley and nearby Tucker County attractions. 10 minutes drive to the new Timberline Mountain and Canaan Valley State Park, or eight minutes north to the quaint town of Davis and stunning Blackwater Falls State Park. Fifteen minutes to Thomas and Purple Fiddle.
Special Features include:
1. Fabulous views of Canaan Valley -- including beauty of National Wildlife Refuge (parcel of which you view from our deck) year-round -- from cabin's great room, deck and hot tub area.
2. Home is uniquely and thoughtfully decorated with comfortable country and rustic furniture handmade by local artisans.
3. Upgraded kitchen appliances.
4. Hot tub.
5. VERY large charcoal smoker grill.
6. Chimera/fire pit area
7. Near two quaint towns Davis (8 minutes drive) and Thomas (15 minutes drive).
8. The cabin abuts the Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge and is in the middle of the Valley, on a ridge. To the north are the towns and Blackwater Falls State Park, to the south are downhill ski areas, White Grass and Dolly Sods. Hiking and mountain biking all around.
9. In a rural neighborhood of about 14 homes. We are on the desirable "ridge" side with views. We have a small field next to us with a thick stand of pine trees separating us from the neighbors on that side. From the back, we have a little thinned forest (to improve views) and then the refuge. One side we do have a home we can see, but folks are quiet and rarely out.
10. Very well-equipped kitchen made for REAL cooking, if you choose during your stay, with blender, electric mixer, cast iron skillet, crepe/pancake skillet, panini/grill pan, pasta pot, muffin/popover tins, pie dish, cake pans, measuring cups, french press in addition to drip and K cup coffee maker, numerous knives. Also belgium waffle maker.
Hike, bike, swim, kayak or ski your heart out, depending on the season. Most guests say, ''The views are spectacular." Ski, tube, skate, sled, fat bike in winter, hike, bike and kayak in warm weather. Horseback riding minutes away all seasons, world-class rock climbing about 1/2 hour away. Shop for from local gallaries and antique-junque stores in Davis and Thomas. Located in the beautiful Allegheny Mountains.
Canaan Valley State Park has ice skating, tubing, sleigh rides, horseback rides and both indoor and outdoor pools, as well as various special events throughout the year. Blackwater Falls has a long sled run. Both parks have X Country skiing and lodges with food and events. White Grass in the Valley has X country skiing and telemark as well as a cozy cabin-cafe and warming yurt.
Great Family Ski vacation, Summer Vacation in Canaan Valley or Cozy Romantic Getaway in West Virginia. Excellent spot to explore various day-hikes, and mountain bike. 35 Minutes to Blackwater Outdoor Adventures for whitewater, kaying or tubing, 50 minutes to Deep Creek Lake.
Nearby Davis West Virginia was voted by Men's Health as one of the coolest little mountain towns in the country. It's sister town, Thomas, is notable for live music, galleries and a thriving community. Note that the high elevation of this Valley means the climate is more like Maine or Southern Canada/summer days very rarely get beyond 80s at their hottest and evenings dip down to 50s or low 60s, even in July and August. Much more natural snow in winter than anywhere nearby given that the high elevation, large Canaan Valley catches the most southern Great Lakes effect weather. This is also a dark sky area and I get my best sleep here!