"The view is hard to get away from, we often found ourselves watching the view change like it was alive. Our group consisted of my husband and myself, plus our two sons and their wives. There was plenty of space for everyone, including the separate living area on the lower level. This was our 4th trip to Estes Park and by far the best view and home layout we've had.
Our only complaints:
1. The Master didn't have a king sized bed, even though there's plenty of room for one. The others complained about the bed comfort in the lower level but agreed it was a small item considering most everything in the home was fabulous. But getting a good night's sleep for all of us would've been nice.
2. The Master bedroom TV didn't work all week. Someone came to change out the boxes (not sure why) but it didn't work before or after that change. I didn't call back because we weren't going to be around much during the day to wait for someone and we were so exhausted every day, watching TV in bed wasn't a big deal.
3. The upstairs fireplace kept going out and following the instructions in the binder didn't help. The first day someone came and started the pilot but with the winds howling, it blew out later in the trip and wouldn't ignite.
4. The lower level fireplace had no parts, so that was disappointing since we saw the picture and expected it to work for a cozy environment on that level.
5. Last but not least, why is there an office sized waste basket for the kitchen rather than a full sized trash receptacle? Even with only 6 people, it filled daily and became quite a pain to deal with. We also had to ask for trash bags, none were provided.
Fair warning: It's a VERY steep drive with multiple switchbacks and only the first half is paved. This leads to a great view with only one house higher than this on the mountain, but if you're a nervous or inexperienced driver, please beware and be careful. Luckily the snow we had was only 1" and melted quickly or it could've been pretty tricky.
Tips: It's a bit of a drive into town, but definitely get pizza at Antonio's. Small place that does mostly carryout, but so delicious it's worth the wait. We also had a delicious and cozy dinner at the 1929 Tavern at Mary's Lake Lodge. However, they only have one table that accommodates a party greater than 4 people, and even though it was a Sunday night during off-season, a reservation would've avoided a 90-min wait."
Guest: Lori H.
Date of Stay: October 2016
Review Submitted: October 13, 2016