Experience the charm of coastal living at our historic cottage in Kitty Hawk, where you'll find comfortable furnishings and beach decor that will transport you to a world of relaxation. With just a short walk (200 feet), you'll have access to the sandy shores of the Atlantic Ocean and some fantastic dining such as the Black Pelican, and Hurricane Mo's. But the real highlight of our cottage is the rooftop deck, where you can kick back and take in stunning ocean views while enjoying the laid-back atmosphere of the Outer Banks. Our guests have been returning to Serendipity for more than 20 years, and we can't wait to welcome you as our newest repeat visitor. Book your stay with us today and start making memories that will last a lifetime.
If you want to see our guest reviews, we have plenty of reviews on some of the other short term rental sites.
HISTORY: Serendipity cottage is an important piece of Outer Banks history. This cottage used to be the station keeper's house for Kitty Hawk Life Saving Station #7. It served as the living quarters for the station keeper and is located right on the Beach Road in Kitty Hawk, NC between milepost 4.0 and 4.5. It is the perfect place if you are looking to relax and have a classic Outer Banks beach house experience. With this cottage, you are just steps away from the ocean....beach access is about a 200 foot walk to the corner! We have very quiet neighbors to the left, right, and behind us.
AMENITIES: The cottage has a master bedroom with master bath, and an additional bedroom to spread out if you like. There is plenty of extra spaces to hang-out....on the rooftop deck, the front deck, the back deck, the screened sun-porch, the back yard, or under the cottage. There is also an outdoor shower with hot/cold water (Spring to Fall only), washer and dryer, fully stocked kitchen (fridge, oven, microwave, dishes, pots, pans, and silverware) to make home-cooked meals as well as Nutri-Bullet for cold drinks and a Keurig coffee maker. We also have a laundry room with washer and dryer available for your use.
DOGS: We also have a completely fenced-in backyard and well-behaved dogs are allowed on a case-by-case basis. Sorry, no cats. There will be an additional $75 fee per dog. Guests are responsible to watch over their dog at all times to prevent them from causing damage. Guests are also responsible to pick-up after their dogs.
BEACH GEAR: We also have a small shed that has beach chairs, a beach umbrella, and assorted beach toys. Please feel free to use them during your stay!
RENTAL AGREEMENT: Please note that when you book your stay with us during a timeframe that is not already booked by another guest, you will receive a Rental Agreement that outlines the house rules in this VRBO listing, and also indicates that if there is a mandatory evacuation of the island that the guest will receive a refund for any days that they could not use due to the evacuation. Please note that you do NOT have a confirmed reservation with us until we have a fully signed rental agreement.
THINGS FOR GUESTS TO KNOW ABOUT OUR COTTAGE
1. Please note that as this is an older cottage, and many of the doorways are low.
2. The master bedroom is a good size. The 2nd bedroom is relatively small, but accommodates a queen bed, vanity, and nightstand.
3. There are no closets in any of the bedrooms, but there are dressers and areas to hang clothes.
4. We love our cottage, but like any home or place you stay at...it will not be right for everyone. The cottage is 70+ years old, very clean, full of character, comfort, charm, and history. However, if you are looking for everything to be absolutely perfect, no imperfections anywhere, granite counter tops, and bamboo hardwood floors....then this home would probably not be a good fit for you. Our home is a clean, comfortable, and classic OBX beach cottage. If your looking to stay in a unique cottage, in a great beach town, and have a classic Outer Banks beach vacation experience....then this is the cottage for you.
5. Bring Your Own linens, towels, pillows, shampoo, and soap.
Below are some common sense house rules.
1. In order to get your booking approved, you will need to have a verified ID with VRBO and profile picture showing your face. Minimum age to rent is 25 for the responsible party. Guests need to have positive reviews from other hosts in order to reserve this cottage.
2. Bring your own linens, pillows, bath towels, beach towels, and blankets. There are 2 queen beds.
3. Do not access the roof from the top deck under any circumstances.
4. The cottage can accommodate a maximum of 2 people, 2 dogs, and 2 cars.
5. Parties are not allowed.
6. Do not smoke or vape in the house or the sun porch. Any guest who violates this agrees to pay a $500 deep-cleaning charge for damages as outlined in our rental agreement.
7. If you use the gas grill, never leave it unattended. If you use the gas grill, please clean it after it has cooled off. Portable grills of any kind must be 20 feet or more from the house and carport.
8. Do not access the loft if you are uncomfortable climbing a ladder. You use the loft ladder at your own risk.
9. This cottage is listed as not suitable for children and infants. If you are bringing children with you, it will be your responsibility to supervise them at all times to ensure their safety.
10. DOGS: If you bring a dog with you, you need to let us know about it first as there is a $75 per dog fee. Please note it is your responsibility to ensure the gates are closed and locked at all times, as well as to supervise your pet at all times for their safety. You are also responsible for picking up all dog poop and disposing of it in the garbage. Please note that if our cleaner reviews the backyard and sees that the dog poop was not picked up, you agree to pay a $250 fee to have a waste removal company pick up the dog waste. Dogs are also not allowed on the 2 couches in the main room.
11. Do not trespass on the neighbors' properties. The backyard of Serendipity is fenced in so the property boundaries are very clear.
12. Candles , bonefires, and campfires are not permitted.
13. NO LIABILITY/INDEMNIFICATION/HOLD HARMLESS: The owners of the property do not assume liability for the loss, theft, damage or injury (or death) to persons or their personal property for any reason including pandemic/Covid19. Guests agree to indemnify and hold the owners harmless for any liabilities, theft, damage, cost or expense whatsoever arising from or related to any claim or litigation which may arise out of or in connection with Guests’ use and occupancy of the rental property, including but not limited to claims for personal injury or property damage/loss.
14. This rental requires a written rental agreement be reviewed, eSigned, and returned. To receive a copy of the agreement, please send an inquiry prior to sending a Booking Request. We reserve the right to cancel any Instant Booking where the guest refuses to eSign the rental agreement.
15. Check-out is 10:00am Eastern time. Please ensure you give yourself enough time to check-out by this time. Our cleaners arrive promptly. Failure to check-out by this time may result in a damages claim as it could impact the experience of the next guest.
16. Serendipity is NOT for everyone. This is a 70+ year old classic and historic Outer Banks cottage. We love our cottage, but like any home or place you stay at...it will not be right for everyone. The cottage is clean, full of character, comfort, charm, and history. However, if you are looking for everything to be absolutely perfect, no imperfections anywhere, not a grain of sand in the corners, granite counter tops, and bamboo hardwood floors, etc...then this home would probably NOT be a good fit for you. The secret phrase to book our beach cottage is: "Checkout time is 10am". There is a chance you may find some sand behind a table, or a mark on the wall from a guest that stayed with us 20+ years ago. If you have these kinds of expectations that everything is 100% perfect, then Serendipity would not be a good fit for you and there are plenty of other homes that can meet your needs. If your looking to stay in a unique, historic, and clean cottage, in a great beach town, and have a classic Outer Banks beach vacation experience....then this is the cottage for you!
17. There is a security video camera in the car port area pointed toward the driveway. The audio on this camera is disabled, but video recording is enabled.
18. CATS: Cats are not allowed. Anyone bringing a cat will incur a minimum of an additional $500 cleaning fee.
You're amazing - Thank you for reading all of the house rules!