About the property
- House1700 sqft
- Half Baths1
- Minimum Stay2 - 3 nights
Queen/Full Sleeps 6 with full Kitchen, Dining Room, Living Room, & Laundry
This is a Raised 'Shotgun' Double built in 1929, completely renovated in 2006. The rental includes Living Room, Dining Room, Full Kitchen w/ Island, Laundry, 2.5 Baths, 3 Bedrooms (2 Queen/1 Full), Front and Rear Porches, & Back Yard.
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- english, french, Japanese
- Calendar last updated:
- Apr 19, 2018
About Bruce Blew
Hello! My name is Bruce. Welcome to New Orleans. I am a retired Chemical Engineer, who presently owns & operates The Junque Shop Antique Store in the Faugborg Marigny, at the base of world famous Frenchmen Street. I personally renovated my home in 2005-2006.
Bruce Blew purchased this House in 2005
Why Bruce Blew chose Algiers Point
This is a Raised 'Shotgun' Double built in 1929, completely renovated in 2005-2006. It is located in historic Algiers Point, the second oldest settlement in New Orleans. It was built by a lumber yard owner. The walls are 6 inches thick & reinforced diagonally. The 2006 renovation opened the home to one living area upstairs.
What makes this House unique
My home is an economical alternative to the French Quarter, and yet is just a four block walk or drive to the Algiers/Canal Street Car/Passenger Ferry. Historic Algiers Point is a quiet alternative to the fast French Quarter pace, and yet close enough to enjoy the full benefits of the French Quarter and all of New Orleans.
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
The property was spacious and clean, looked exactly like in pictures. Please note that this is an historic home, so if others are staying in the attached second property downstairs, noise travels easily. The ferry worked well to commute except for the unforseen oil spill in the Mississippi which shut down the channel for a day during our stay.
Great place for NOLA visit
Great place for a trip to New Orleans! House is a 5 minute walk to the ferry. Ferry leaves every 30 minutes. $2 gets you across the river near the french market. A stop is at the end of the landing. You can either wander into the Quarter or catch a trolley to take you into the Garden District. When you're ready, come back to a clean, comfortable house in a safe, quiet neighborhod to relax. Children can enjoy the park/playground almost next door while parents chill on the porch. Beds are comfortable and everyone can have privacy. The house is furnished with beautiful antiques that blend well with the modern kitchen and bathrooms. We look forward to staying again!
Great Quiet Location with easy access to cross the river to the French Quarter
We rented this property for a spring break vacation with our young adult college aged children. We had 5 people in the house. It was a great stay and the landlord was nice, informative, helpful, and easy to work with. We greatly enjoyed our stay.
- Easy walking distance to the Algiers ferry dock that takes you to the ferry dock on the end of Canal Str on the edge of the Quarter. Only $2 per trip per person.
- Able to park our vehicle off street and didn’t use it all week. Walked all thru Quarter, Marigny/Frenchmen Str., and Downtown/CBD using ferry for access.
- Easily able to get Uber and Lyft rides back across the bridge on evenings we stayed past the end of ferry service and public transit options got us to the areas we didn’t walk to.
- Neighborhood is quiet with little traffic and great break from spending the days in the crowds and traffic across the river.
- Many properties in this neighborhood are being renovated and food and beverage options are increasing here. However we didn’t see this as an issue with so many choices just a quick ferry ride across the river.
- Made use of the full modern kitchen at the house for breakfasts and some of our meals allowing for lazy mornings after long evenings. The ferry service made it quick and easy for me to make a quick early morning trip to bring back fresh Beignets for everyone before the crowds were up in the Quarter.
- Downstairs of this unit is an additional rental that can be taken advantage of for larger groups and this unit also has an off street parking space.
We will look here again for our next trip to New Orleans.
Perfect location for a fantastic vacation!
This rental is in a perfect location for a fantastic vacation in New Orleans. The residential area is friendly, safe and fun to walk around to view several historic and colorfully decorated homes. A quick 5-10 minute walk to the Algiers/Canal Street ferry that leaves on the half hour drops you off in the French Quarter. Rouse's Market (nice grocery store) is approximately a 2.5 mile drive away from the home. Three cafe/coffee shops within walking distance. The front porch was lovely to sit and relax in the evening. Bruce is an excellent host and most accommodating. We highly recommend his home. It is exactly as pictured and described with lots of amenities not offered by other rentals. Thank you, Bruce! We will keep your info should we visit New Orleans again in the future!
Very lovely, updated, clean and comfy home.
Very nice, clean home in a perfect location. We took the ferry over to New Orleans every day. Very convenient and always felt safe in the neighborhood. Everyone was very friendly. Bruce was very accommodating. Only drawback for us was there is no tv in the living room. We had no where to congregate, relax and watch tv in the evening. We also tried the Dry dock cafe near the ferry. Would not recommend. It took an hour for us to get our food and then it was cold and some of the order was wrong. Overall we had a great time and would rent again.
Nice place. Nothing great. Beds are comfy. House was clean!
Frankly I don’t understand 3 stars. You have no complaints. Why? I have overwhelming 5 star reviews. Please explain.
My home is a four (4) block walk or drive to the Algier's Point/Canal Street Ferry. A five minute ferry ride to The base of the French Quarter leaves you by Harrah's Casino, Riverwalk Mall, Canal Mall & Cinema, and a short walk to all of the French Quarter.