Welcome to our year-round cabin, “Dakota View”, on the Minnesota side of Lake Traverse. The name says it all as the cabin features beautiful, scenic views of the South Dakota hills and islands across the lake.
Our clean, cute and comfortable cabin is very versatile and a great place for:
* Vacationing families of all ages
* Groups of fishermen or hunters
* Ladies who want to have a “Girls' Getaway Weekend”
* Family reunions or get-togethers
* Out-of-towners who need lodging for local weddings, class reunions, or holiday gatherings
Built in 2003, our single-story cabin sits on a flat, 75’ wide lot, on a dead-end road, literally just steps from the lake. With over 1,800 square feet, there are four bedrooms and it sleeps up to nine people.
* The largest bedroom, "Lake Lookout", has a king-size bed and French doors that open out to the lake and patio area. There's plenty of space for a crib in this room if you have a baby.
* The second bedroom, "Valley View", also has a king-size bed.
* The third and fourth bedrooms, "Sandy Shores" and "Tall Timbers", each have two twin beds.
* There is also a twin hide-a-bed in the living room.
Since we know how important it is to have a good night’s sleep, especially when you’re on vacation, all of our bedroom mattresses are brand-name and high quality. We also only use 300 thread-count linens.
There are two bathrooms in the cabin – one with a full tub/shower combo and the other with a shower. We also have a washer and dryer to accommodate guests.
The fully-equipped, well-appointed kitchen has all the comforts of home, including a dishwasher and microwave. The spacious dining room table seats eight people – the perfect place to eat all those fish you catch! Our favorite part of the cabin is the lakeside living room. It has five huge picture windows, making for breathtaking, panoramic lake views.
We have Dish TV (200+ channels) and as well as free Wi-Fi so our guests will be able to stay connected during their stay.
Outside the cabin, there’s a gas grill and lakeside fire pit to enjoy after a fun day on the lake. Guests have full use of our dock and boat lift, plus a swimming raft and paddle boat too (all available from approximately late April to late September).
Please note that we do NOT allow pets on the property, but exceptions may be made for hunters who want to bring their hunting dogs, keeping them kenneled in the garage.
Lake Traverse is a highly-regarded walleye lake. According to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, the 2014 survey of the lake averaged 27 walleyes per gill net lift (normal range for this class of lake is 3.2-15.3). You fisherman will appreciate what an incredible number that is! Lake Traverse is the 13th largest lake in the state, with nearly 11,000 acres. The lake also has nice numbers of other species for a high quality fishing experience.
Because it’s a "Border Lake", with the Minnesota/South Dakota state line running right down the middle of the lake, Lake Traverse has special perks that most all other lakes don't have!
* The fishing season opens here on April 21st, 2018, a full three weeks earlier than the regular Minnesota fishing opener (May 10th, 2018), so you can get a jump on the fishing season.
* Lake Traverse also follows South Dakota's regulation that allows you to fish TWO lines at the same time legally.
* The limits are a little different for a few species, so please read up on that prior to your stay in the MN DNR's annual fishing regulations booklet (available where you purchase fishing licenses and we always have a copy available at our cabin as well)
Our cabin is conveniently located just a few lots down from one of the lake’s public accesses, which is especially nice for ice fishing or snowmobiling in the winter.
In addition to fishing, there is plentiful public hunting land nearby, with dozens of Waterfowl Production Areas and Wildlife Management Areas within a 10-30 minute drive. Wildlife such as deer, pheasants, ducks, geese, and turkeys are abundant in the area.
Dakota View is located about 10 miles north Browns Valley, MN, and 13 miles southwest from Wheaton, MN. Lake Traverse is just a few miles north of Big Stone Lake, another popular destination in western Minnesota. In terms of bigger cities, it's about:
* 3.5 hours from Minneapolis, MN
* 1.5 hours from Fargo, ND
* 2.5 hours from Sioux Falls, SD
Although we're located in a small-town/rural setting, all the basic amenities you need can be found nearby: grocery and hardware stores, restaurants (sit-down and fast food), convenience stores, bait shops, a movie theatre, a public outdoor heated swimming pool, a bowling alley, a public nine-hole golf course, plus cute area shops, With The Wind Winery and Dakota Magic Casino - all without the craziness that’s typical of the bigger tourist areas. That’s one of the reasons we love it out here so much; it’s peaceful and low-key.
We only rent our cabin to those who are responsible, courteous and will leave it in the condition that they found it in. A lot of hard work has gone into our cabin and we ask that guests respect it by treating it as if it were their own home. Thank you for understanding.
Click on the 'Get An Instant Quote' button to get pricing on available dates. To book a stay or ask questions about Dakota View, please fill in your information (be sure to include name, phone, e-mail address and a brief message to us - due to spam/scams, incomplete inquiries will not be replied to) and send a request to us.
We invite you to stay at Dakota View on scenic Lake Traverse. We’re sure you’ll love it as much as we do. Hope to see you soon!