Check-in: 3:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date.
Charming & quaint cottage
The views at this lovely cottage are amazing. The cottage is well appointed and cozy. The upper deck is enticing and well situated. The stairs down to the lake are wide, well placed and easy to traverse. There is a large platform (new).& dock at the waterfront. Lots of room for sunning, fishing off the dock, just hanging out.
The overall cottage & property are extremely well maintained, charming and exactly as demonstrated in the pictures in advertisement online.
Great overall experience. We will definitely go back.
Proximity to amenities in Newboro & Westport excellent. Westport is a great little town to visit with great shops & restaurants. Lots to do in the area. Road into this property is well maintained.
Thank you for the detailed review, it means a lot. I'm so glad you found everything to your liking, especially the new deck at the waterfront. I look forward to having you back again!
All my best,
NOT AS PRESENTED
Great location! peaceful, quiet and well situated between Newboro and Westport. Well stocked and clean. Oven is crusted with grease and looks unsafe to use. Frying pans pitted, scratched and unusable. Front steps of naturel stone but uneven and tricky to use. No hand rails for the 30 steep steps down to the dock. The fact that the steps to the dock are so steep and hard to maneuver are not mentioned in the VRBO web site. This cottage, in general, is not user friendly for seniors. Also suggest that railings be installed on the patio as it is most unsafe for small children. Fireplace needs to be repaired as it was unuseable.
Thank you for taking time to write a review, though I was disappointed (and quite surprised!) by some of your comments. In many years of renting this place I have never heard anything like this from any other guest and have only 5-star reviews. Respectfully, I would like to respond.
- Apologies if the oven had not been cleaned immediately before your arrival. The housekeeper has limited time in between guests and does not do the oven each time. Your feedback triggered me to ask her to check this more often- thank you.
- There are 2 frying pans are older than others, but there are 3 or 4 others that are fairly new, plus a dozen other pots and pans. I don’t think it’s fair to imply there aren’t decent pans to use, though I will ask the housekeeper to throw away the most worn ones.
- The photos I have posted clearly show that the cottage is not situated at water level, and thus that you would need to go “down” to the dock. They also show that the patio has an open view to the water (no railing). Most people who have concerns or questions about this just message me to ask about it, and I tell them honestly what to expect. To say “not as presented” is untrue and unfair. This cottage is exactly what you see in the photos.
- The steps are not particularly “steep” nor “hard to maneuver.” They are over 4-feet across with standard height (built according to code), and there are also sizeable landings every few feet if you want to pause or take in the view. The one accurate part of your comment is that there was no handrail at the time of your stay. The steps are relatively new, and the railing is scheduled to be added shortly.
- Your comment that this cottage is not suitable for seniors or small children is not entirely true. There are several families who LOVE this cottage and come back year after year with toddlers as young as one or two years, and grandparents in their seventies. They’re aware of the layout and find it perfectly fine. After your stay, you emailed me to say that you have severe arthritis and balance issues. While I was sorry to hear this, it also explains your review. I think it is most fair to say that this cottage is that it is not ideal for someone with serious physical limitations.
- Yes, the fireplace is not usable. This is why I do not even mention a fireplace in my description. Since I do not promote it as a benefit of this cottage, I don’t feel it deserves to be called out as an issue. As far as anyone is concerned, there is a lovely outdoor firepit, but no indoor fireplace.
While I respect your opinions, I hope that others reading your comments will note that every other review on this site is 5-star with nothing but good things to say about this cottage.
Wonderful visit, wish we could have stayed longer!
This was the perfect location to travel around the area, relax, hike, and enjoy everything around us. Erika is so responsive and helped prepare us well by answering our questions and sending us plenty of information. We loved the cottage, the views, and the quiet, remote feeling while being close to so many things. It was a great vacation, and we would recommend it to everyone.
Thank you, Julie, it was my pleasure to help make your anniversary getaway a memorable and special experience. The Westport area has so much to offer, I hope you'll come back to explore even more!
Wonderful stone cottage getaway
Beautiful house and property on a lovely lake. Most of the conveniences of home. Loved the view....the screened in porch for evening....we lucked out with weather so were able to be outdoors a lot. There are canoe/kayak and boat rentals available.
Relaxing. Quiet. Most enjoyable. Everything we hoped for.
The cottage accommodations are complete, comfortable and tastefully chosen. The firepit, back deck, screened porch, and dock were hits with every member of the family. The comfortable beds and perfect kitchen rounded out the perfect experience. Hope to return next year.
Thank you, Barbara. Looking forward to having you back again next year as well!
Fabulous Cottage Experience
Our family has come to this vacation spot for 4 years now, and every year it just gets better. It is a lovely setting with the amenities needed but rustic enough to be a cottage experience. The only drawbacks are a lack of washing facilities and the need to provide your own potable water. We love the dock and enjoy the bird life. We are a family of 6 adults and 2 small children, so accommodations are very tight but we adapted by supplying our own two cots for the screened in porch.