• CASA ZOLLO II • is a cozy holiday apartment on the hillside, best suited for singles and couples, and with a panoramic view of the valley. Located in a peaceful spot at the edge of the pastoral village of Vale, where the only through traffic consists of one or two horse carts bringing in the hay from the nearby hills. This is good choice for lovers of special places who want to spice up their experience with a pinch of Romanian tradition.
The village is nestled between the wooded mountains overlooking the Transylvanian plain - in an absolutely peaceful spot with no through traffic. After a short walk you already find yourself in the oldest beech forest on the continent and will experience a unique flora and fauna on your way up to the mountain meadows. Alternatively, benefit from our central location in the heart of Romania and explore sights and trips in all directions.
Would you like to choose from 7 holiday homes? Or want to learn more about what to expect? On our homepage www. casa-vale. net you find photo galleries, virtual tours through our cottages, excursion tips, guest reviews ...
••• CASA ZOLLO II •••
The studio (28 sqm) is situated on the ground floor of the main house Villa Zollo, and features a private entrance as well as its own terrace, kitchen, and bathroom. During the construction period we took our time and delved into the creative design of details. Expect custom-made furnishings, exceptional cleanliness, and relaxing views of the valley and the forested mountains.
Furnishings include wooden flooring, a double bed, TV set (international channels), Wi-Fi internet access, and plants. The kitchenette is fully equipped for self-catering with a fridge, gas stove, coffee maker, and espresso machine, as well as a toaster, kettle, spices, and more. On request, we provide you with breakfast, traditional menus or farm products from the village.
The separate bathroom is equipped with a shower, washstand, toilet, and washing machine. The entire interior was chosen with care and is of high quality, including the sanitary installation, kitchen utensils, linen, and mattress. All the furniture, doors and windows were made to measure. On arrival you’ll find the bed freshly made, with towels, soap and shower gel provided.
The solar-assisted central heating is powered by a gas heater. Alternatively, electrical infrared panels can be switched on at no additional costs for you.
From the spacious terrace (21 sqm) you can look out onto the lush green of the wooded mountain slopes, or past the fruit trees down into the valley. A staircase leads to the fenced garden adjacent to the surrounding hills. Here you can relax on a covered terrace, grill your steak on the stonewalled barbecue, or enjoy the evening by an open fire, proposing a toast to the awakening crickets. Maybe you’ll just sit down under an apple tree, listen to the birds, and let your thoughts drift…
• Transylvania apartment, sleeps 2 (up to 3)
• Studio with a double bed and kitchenette
• Bathroom with shower and washing machine
• Private terrace
• Large garden with parking lot, covered patio, BBQ and campfrie
• Minimum stay: 3 - 5 nights
• Additional bed for a third person: € 10/night
••• We offer more than just accommodation •••
• Transfer from the Sibiu airport or railway station is included, and a reliable rental car is available directly from us.
• On request, our cook provides breakfast or swings the wooden spoon. She conjures traditional menus fresh to the table by appointment - each gram of meat a product of her own livestock farming. Vegetarian? No problem.
• Also available are farm products from the village, such as fresh milk, goat or sheep's cheese, forest honey and homemade jam, zakusca, pickled vegetables, wine and schnaps.
• On request: baby cot, high chair, rides in a donkey cart for children, grocery shopping prior to your arrival.
• Tip: Excursion in a horse-drawn cart to the mountains. The tour can take a few hours or an entire day. On the way, you stop at a creek and Nicu (our Carpathian specialist) prepares a shepherd goulash in the kettle on the camp fire.
••• The village of Vale •••
… is out in the sticks, in the middle of nowhere. On the other hand, the freeway that brings all sights of Transylvania closer to you is only 5 km away. A tarmac road touches on the village, but in large parts, it’s cobblestone roads and dirt trails leading up into the wooded hills. Thus, traditional structures and straightforward hospitality still hold up in Vale. Horses, cows and goats are still part of the village landscape, and the farmers take up their scythes and plant corn, potatoes, and vegetables to provide for the winter.
There is a children's playground and a small grocery store at the village square. The town of Saliste 2 km away offers more shops, a farmer's market and an ATM cash machine. Whatever you miss here can be found in Sibiu 20 km away at the Cibin Market, in retail stores, or supermarkets such as Real, Carrefour and Lidl.
Some say that the Romanian countryside appears frozen in time. It is unique and mostly untouched and the breath of the past hides in every corner. Maybe you'll sense the charm of the extraordinary, perceiving what life was like before it was leveled by the advance of civilization.
Until then, take a good look around. Heists and highway robberies are tales from the long-gone years of turmoil following the political change in Romania, and Count Dracula obviously exists only in movies. Most people in these parts are open-minded and very friendly when met with respect.
Read more below for an overview of the sights in the area, plus a pinch of Transylvanian history.
••• We provide more than just a cottage •••
With our construction company, we have given five houses a complete overhaul or built them from scratch. With attention to detail all along, with respect towards the traditional style of the area, as well as with a view to modern building materials and contemporary housing needs. The result is an encounter of different ages and cultures in five oases of wellbeing, each of them with their own flair, distinctive and special in a place which – we hope – will be sidestepped by the world's hustle for a long time to come.
• VILLA CRINA • our jewel with 200 sqm of living space and terraced garden – sleeps 8.
• CASA PELU • the former farmhouse with extended loft and roof terrace – sleeps 6.
• CASA NICU • 120-year-old cottage with the appropriate historic flair – sleeps 2-3.
• VILLA ZOLLO • 150 sqm holiday home with panoramic views and large garden – sleeps 6-8.
• Studio ZOLLO II • well equipped apartment with a terrace, BBQ and garden – sleeps 2-3.
• COZO FANTU • our shepherd’s hut in the mountain pastures – sleeps 4.
A total of 12 rooms are endowed with double beds, WiFi internet access, TV (Astra satellite), and plants. Some properties feature a garden and living room with a fireplace, and all of them provide a kitchen fully equipped for self-catering, as well as 1-4 bathrooms, a washing machine, and at least one terrace. The central heating facilities (most of them solar-assisted) are powered by water-bearing fireplaces, tiled stoves or gas heaters. In addition, nearly all of the rooms are equipped with infrared panels.