French Country Chateau - 2.5 Hours from Paris(6 Reviews)
The manager has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Property type:Chateau / Country House
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
About the Property
A gracious and comfortable chateau located in the idyllic French Countryside.
Medieval towns, chateaux, churches, gardens, World War II battle sites to visit are nearby. The Chateau is under 2 hours' drive from the D-day Beaches, Paris, Giverny. Guests also take day trips to Mont Saint-Michel and the chateaux of the Loire.
You will arrive at the Chateau through two sets of ornate iron gates, crossing over a double moat. Entering the Great Hall, you will walk through to the Petit and Grand Salons, with elegant furnishings, comfortable seating, a grand piano and magnificent views. The ground floor also includes a Grand Dining Room with French windows overlooking the moat and the pastures. A charming small dining room seats up to 12. The library is a cozy place to gather for drinks, or to rest and read. A handsome meeting room, with trompe l'oeil ceiling and walls, is also a private and refined dining space. Windows on three sides overlook the grounds. A "fumoir" tucked away at the end of the east wing makes a quiet spot to gather or spend "alone" time.
A club room, with handsome leather sofa and chairs, offers a wide-screen television and a card table, books, videos and games such as chess, backgammon, and monopoly.
The old kitchens have been converted into a billiards room, with a fireplace and seating. A pingpong table provides more indoor recreation.
Each well-appointed bedroom has its own fully-equipped bathroom. All bedrooms have excellent views of the grounds. King, twin, full and single bedrooms are available, as is a pack-and-play for babies and tots. A ground-floor bedroom is also available.
The kitchen has been brought up to 21st century standards -- convenient and well-apppointed whether you like to cook, hire a private chef or use a caterer.
A new heating plant keeps the chateau comfortable even in brisk weather and ensures a constant supply of hot water.
The extensive park -- guests have launched hot-air balloons on the grounds -- is available in all seasons. Relax in a lounge chair under the trees or in the sunny courtyard...gather around the fire pit...play badminton, croquet or boules...stroll on woodland paths...pick blackberries in summer, and discover the rare and fascinating buildings on the grounds.
These include one of the rare Protestant temples to survive the revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685, an intact 17th-century ice-house, an Orangerie, stables and farm buildings.
You'll also enjoy walking and bicycling along a network of country lanes.
The chateau is 10 minutes walk from the little village of Courtomer, where you will find your groceries and a weekly open-air fresh market, bar and restaurant.
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
Member since: 2008
- Chateau / Country House
- 1750 m²
- Max. occupancy 15
- Events Allowed
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Optional
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Suitable For Elderly Or Infirm
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 15 Bedrooms, Sleeps 15, Beds for 15
- All rooms have their own private modern bathroom. Egyptian cotton sheets, thickly padded mattress covers, hard and soft pillows. Also available are extra blankets. 3 king-size bedrooms, one with canopy bed. 5 twin-bedrooms can convert to 5 king-size bedrooms. 2 single bedrooms. 2 double-bedrooms. Baby/toddler bed available. Each room has individually adjustable Radiator, hard-wired Smoke Detector, wireless Internet connection. Antique Armoire in each room offers wood and padded hangers, shelves for clothing and shoes, plus comfortable seating and sork area with reading light in all bedrooms (ex. no. 4 and 12). Bedside tables and lamps in all rooms. Handsome period furnishings and curtains have black-out lining for a good night's sleep. All rooms have 1 or 2 large windows with view over park, pastures, woods. Ground-floor bedroom-bathroom suite is suitable for elderly or infirm person with easy access to living, dining rooms and kitchen....moreless
Bathrooms: 15 Bathrooms
- Thick cotton bath, extra-large sheet and hand towels, bath mitt and bath mat provided. Toilet paper provided. Hot water on demand from large water heater in basement, even when all bathrooms in use. Individually adjustable radiator allows you to warm your bathroom to your comfort. Hair dryers. White ceramic extra-wide tub, wide sink, toilet. Some bathrooms have grab bars for toilet, bath. Polished nickel accessories: soap/shampoo holder attached to tub wall; soap holder, 2 toothbrush holders, water glass and holder on sink backsplash; toilet-paper holder, extra roll holder, toilet brush holder, step-on trash can. Floor and lower half of walls tiled in honed ceramic, soft stone tones, decorative details. Large window lets in light, air, and views. All bedrooms have own en-suite bathroom....moreless
- INDOOR activities: billiards room with large stone fireplace, ping-pong table. Grand piano in drawing room. TV and DVD player, iPod player. Board games. OUTDOOR games: boules, croquet, badminton and volleyball. 6 new bicycles with saddlebags and child seats. Box stalls with running water for horses. New gas barbecue grill. 2 extra-large sun umbrellas, 2 teak tables seat 8 each, outdoor chairs and drinks tables, 20 transats (deck chairs). GROUNDS: Moat surrounds chateau. Park includes allées of mature trees, copses, streams and ponds. Also on grounds: ruins of original medieval chateau,16th-century Protestant Temple, one of the oldest surviving in France, a listed 'Monument historique'; intact 19th-century glacière (ice house), Orangerie, 17th-century farm buildings, spring house, stables, 2 funerary chapels. Farming operation features herd of registered Limousine cattle, fields of hay and cereals. Allée through fields links chateau to village church....moreless
- Books For Adults
- Books For Kids
- DVD Player
- Game Room
- Games For Kids
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table
- Video Library
- Autumn Foliage
- Botanical Garden
- Live Theater
- Theme Parks
- Water Parks
Local Services & Businesses
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Horseback Riding
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Equestrian Events
- Freshwater Fishing
- Golf Privileges Optional
- Mountain Biking
- Dining Room
- Seating for 15 people
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Laundry Soap
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Local Activities Guide
- Local Maps
- Paper Towels
- Parking Off Street
- Toilet Paper
- Towels Provided
- Tumble Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Wireless Internet
- 4 Ring Stove
- Coffee Grinder
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- Dishes & Utensils
- Ice Maker
- Outdoor Grill Gas
- Screen Porch / Veranda
- Housekeeper Optional
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $1,084.96
- Pet Fee $10.85
- Cleaning fees $406.86
Please do not hesitate to contact us for week-ends and events. Special rates are available for weddings, seminars, etc.
Manager's cancellation policy:
100% refund if canceled at least 90 days before arrival date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Chateau de Courtomer is surrounded by 150 acres of its own park and farmlands, but only 10 minutes walk from the local village with post office, pharmacy, twice-weekly open-air market, butcher, greengrocer, 2 bakeries, bar/tabac (light meals), home-made cider shop, hardware store, and church. Gourmets will delight in nearby restaurants (especially Pavillon de Gouffern, set in forest glade; Les Pieds dans l'Eau & Le Tribunal at Mortagne-au-Perche). Nearby historical attractions: cathedral town of Sées, historic chateaux (Sacy, Carrouges, Champ de Bataille, etc.), Haras du Pin (French national stud, founded by Louis XIV), medieval city of Alençon, forest of Ecouves (nature walks and WWII history), Lisieux (birthplace of St. Thérèse). Chateau is 2 hours or less by car from Paris, Versailles, Giverny Monet's gardens, D-Day beaches, Bayeux Tapestry, Caen Memorial, beaches and race track of Deauville, Le Mans (of car-racing fame and race-car museum). Two hours 40 minutes from Mont Saint-Michel, world heritage site.
Other Activities: Horse-racing, car-racing, Central Parcs amusement park, karting, hiking in Forêt d'Ecouves.
Year Purchased: 2005
About: My husband and I undertook a major five-year renovation and restoration of the chateau in 2005. Our goal is to make you and your guests feel welcome and at home at Chateau de Courtomer.
Why Courtomer, France:
We fell in love with the beauty and charm of this magnificent estate in Normandy. Chateau de Courtomer was constructed in the 11th century, completely rebuilt on the eve of the French Revolution in 1789, and remained continuously in the family of the Saint-Simon de Courtomer or their descendants until 1905. It has a long history as a majestic family home. We use it in the same spirit of family, while respecting and maintaining its unique historic and historical character.
The Unique Benefits at this Chateau / Country House:
A thorough renovation of systems ensures your comfort and convenience. The decoration is in keeping with the period and style of the Chateau. The working farm adds to the authenticity, with our herd of cattle and tended fields. You can see some of our renovations in progress in the outbuildings. The farmhouse will be available for rental starting in June 2016. It is also centrally located to many of France's important tourist spots.
- Primary: +1 4107838460
- Secondary: +1 5512080348
- Fax: +1 4107838464
Links to more information:
A closer look at the exterior facade of the chateau.
Evening falls at Chateau de Courtomer…warm lights invite your guest inside...
The "fumoir." The floor is original and on the historic register!
Our dining room can seat upwards of 30 people if necessary.
A bedroom detail. One of the many.
All rooms have their own private bathrooms and tub.
The Orangerie is perfect for a wedding celebration or a business meeting.
The sun begins to rise over the great lawn.
On a glorious morning in June...
The library houses leather sofas and an extraordinary vintage book collection.
The original iron gate at the entrance to the chateau.
Enjoy drinks, games, or a movie in the club room.
The billiards and ping ping tables in the old, cellar kitchens.
A bedroom overlooking the great lawn.
A view looking out from the back of the chateau. We are a working farm.
View of the rare listed 17th-century Protestant temple on the chateau grounds.
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to manager
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.