** Extras incl private free wi-fi, free unlimited direct-dial calling to Canada/USA (friends can call by dialing Canada), free USA Netflix, 60 free cable channels, free Skype/webcam built into TV, Patio BBQ, Patio Jacuzzi, free maid service, Chef. You'll have NO problems getting by here w basic English. **
1 - The Bay View Grand Complex
2 - The Condo
3 - Why This is THE Best Location to stay in Ixtapa
4 - Area
5 - Weather
1 - The Bay View Grand Residencial Complex:
12-year-old BVG Res complex features:
-just 25 mins by taxi from Zihuatanejo Airport (ZIH)
- 10-15 minutes and a 10 peso (60-cent USD) bus ride or 72 peso ($5 USD) cab ride to Zihuatanejo
- 24-hour gated security from the road & 24h security on the beach
- a secure, gated and free outdoor parking lot for your use
- impeccably landscaped grounds and gardens
- parasailing, jet-ski rentals, boogie-board rentals and of course gorgeous swimming conditions, in front of the BVG
- 2 Infinity pools surrounded by chaise lounges
- several chaise lounges under private palm-frond palapas on the beach directly in front of the condo
- 2 hot tubs (in addition to the private jacuzzi on your private patio)
- free Wi-fi in the lobby area, on all pool decks, and usually accessible from several of the chaise lounges under the palm frond palapas on the beach (+ private wi-fi in-suite)
- full service pool bar/restaurant, with friendly wait staff to serve you. Because they're offered as a strata-council-run service for the residents, the prices are exceptionally reasonable (22 pesos = $1.33 USD for a Corona on ice with limes...)
- men's and women's spas (with masseurs on staff to pamper you)
- 1-hour full-body massages cost $18 USD in either the Bay View Grand spa, or in one of the 2 privately-run massage studios on the beach in front of the hotel, on either side of it
- well-equipped exercise room with steppers, stationary bikes, elliptical trainers, weight machines and free weights (better than you'd expect) ** THIS GYM COSTS 100 PESOS PER PERSON PER DAY THOUGH, ABOUT $6 USD, PLUS YOU NEED TO LEAVE A 500 PESO DEPOSIT WHILE YOU HAVE THE KEY. **
- golf at the incredible Robert Trent Jones 18 hole 'Palmar Real' Golf Course, located across the street, or at the other local course near the Marina.
- on-site business center
- on-site children's playground (like a Jungle-Gym)
- lots of shopping, restaurants, services like car rental agencies and banks and ATMs, right across the street
- so close to Zihuatanejo, that going there for dinner is practical
- the property management company, Best Properties, is directly across the street, to help you check in and check out, to arrange for maid cleaning services, private cook services, private grocery-shopping services should you desire, or to help you should you encounter any problems or otherwise need any help or local recommendations during your stay
2- The condo itself:
Relish in your own private 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom luxury 8th-floor beachfront condo. This unit is a south-facing condo in the south tower of the BVG Residencial complex, near the south end of famous El Palmar Beach (not to be confused with the 'BVG Marina' condo complex). This unit is 1,640 sq. ft. (148 square metres), including the patio which includes a jacuzzi tub overlooking the ocean, immediately off of your Master Suite. Watching day break over the ocean from this private tub, while sipping your locally-grown morning coffee, is a great way to start your day.
The unit is decorated with original art from all over Mexico, most of which is softly illuminated at night.
The condo is one of few in the entire BVG, that features it's own private high-speed internet (wi-fi), in addition to the free public strata-run wi-fi
The ever-present sound of the waves crashing on the sand will relax you by day, and will lull you into a peaceful sleep by night as you watch the waves from your bed. Because this condo fronts only the beach and ocean, all you'll hear are waves, winds and the occasional sea bird.
This well-equipped condo has two bedrooms, two full baths (one an ensuite off of the Master suite), a fully-equipped kitchen, in-suite stacking washer and dryer, iron and ironing board, hair dryers & a safe.
The patio is equipped with 2 chaise lounges, table & chairs for 4, and a stainless steel propane BBQ, which is completely dismantled and thoroughly cleaned after each stay. If you wish to use it during your stay (regardless of the length of your stay), there's a $50 USD charge that will cover the cost of propane, plus the costs of thoroughly cleaning the BBQ for the next guests.
In the rare event that you tire of the spectacular view, the livingroom has a wi-fi-connected LG 47' SMART LED Full HDTV with a built-in 1080p full HD webcam (enabling you to Skype in full HDTV or to watch YouTube etc.) and includes free USA Netflix plus over 60 cable channels (incl. English CNN), plus there's a 32" Wi-Fi connected flat-screen TV (incl. Netflix) mounted on the wall in the Master bdrm & a smaller TV in the Guest room. The cordless phone allows you to make unlimited direct-dial phone calls to Canada/USA, plus you can receive calls.
Master suite features a King-sized bed, ensuite bath with illuminated magnified make-up mirror, & a huge walk in closet with built-in safe.
Guest room features 2 twin beds (can be joined together prior to your arrival to make a 2nd King-width but slightly shorter guest bed).
If you're sleeping 6, then a self-inflating mattress bed will be made up for you prior to your arrival as well.
Ample linens are supplied for all beds, many of them 630-thread-count Egyptian cotton.
The parota wood & solid marble kitchen (Dec. 2015) features full sized stainless fridge/freezer, icemaker, 6-burner gas range/oven, microwave, hot/cold purified water dispenser, electric slow cooker (Crock Pot) and ample dishes, utensils, pots, pans, serving dishes etc. Dining room table seats 6; marble breakfast bar in the kitchen seats 2 on barstools.
An illuminated, glowing, solid semi-precious Onyx stone & parota dry bar was added Nov 2015, with built-in thermoelectric wine cooler for your fine wines.
3 - Why is this the best location in Ixtapa?:
-The stretch of El Palmar beach directly in front of BVG Res, is usually the calmest/safest stretch of the entire 4km-long beach, as compared to the beach near the Marina, which is sometimes better suited to surfing than to swimming. Consider this if you're bringing kids with you
- directly across the street from 'downtown' Ixtapa, offering shopping, banks & ATMs, car rentals, a 'Deposito' (in which you can buy 50 cent Coronas), & restaurants
- enough restaurants in Ixtapa, that you don't really need to leave, however there are at least 20 times more restaurants in Zihuatanejo, just 15-min cab or bus ride away
4 - The area:
-Ixtapa-Zihua is a refreshing and welcome change from most other 'American-ized' Mexican resort destinations such as Los Cabos, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Manzanillo, Cancun and Playa del Carmen. It's an undiscovered gem where you'll find the 'real' Mexico, the Mexico that tourists in these other destinations have sadly not seen for 20 years. Here you're never more than 15 minutes away from either the idyllic charm of Zihuatanejo, a small Mexican fishing village that seems to have been frozen in time, or from the modern amenities and 5-star luxuries of the Fonatur-created beach resort of Ixtapa. Because of the close proximity of two such different and diverse towns, this area truly offers 'the best of both worlds'. And yes, indeed it IS Zihuatanejo where Morgan Freeman 'escaped to', at the end of 'The Shawshank Redemption.'
In 'Zihua', what you won't find (yet) are McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, Starbucks, Home Depot and over-priced designer clothing stores. Instead, you'll find quaint narrow streets lined with interesting and inexpensive independent shops, cafes, bars and restaurants frequented by the locals, actually not a lot different than the first time I visited over 20 years ago. Do you want to watch the fisherman lay their fish out for display on the beach at the outdoor fish market every morning adjacent to the Zihuatanejo fishing pier, as they've done for decades? You'll find that here. Do you want to spend an afternoon shopping in clothing boutiques for $7 jeans, $5 tops and $4/pound local coffee, followed by a delicious, authentic and inexpensive dinner? You'll find THAT here too. Or would you rather pamper yourself surrounded by all the luxuries, restaurants and amenities only available in a modern, tourist-destination city surrounded by manicured gardens? You'll find all that and more in Ixtapa, where after a day of soaking up the sun beside the pool, depending on the time of year you might be asked to help to release newly hatched baby sea turtles into the sea. Only in Ixtapa-Zihua...
5 - The weather:
Daily high temperatures are usually 85-93F (29C-34C), & night time temperatures drop to approximately 70F (21C), though temperatures can drop temporarily and rarely down to 55F (12C), but typically only during thunderstorms. These temperatures are pretty consistent year-round, with only the humidity changing noticeably, increasing as the summer wears on.
From early to mid November, through the end of May, it is usually sunny and clear almost all day, every day, aside from the odd thunderstorm blowing in off of the Pacific. These storms often stay offshore though, and are just spectacular to watch from the beach, and help to clear up the humidity.
June through mid-October bring a lot more rain and cloud cover, but usually only for part of the day, meaning that you'll still enjoy ample sun.
Local ocean temperatures warm over summer to 90F (34C) in Nov, then gradually cool to 80F (23C) in Feb & 79F (22C) in April. 86F is a lot warmer than most heated pools, the clean, clear water feels just heavenly, especially while standing on the silky sand.