Historic Dc: the Monroe House in Arts District
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:1-5 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
GREAT IN TOWN NEIGHBORHOOD:
Large 2 bedroom whole HOUSE: 3 level short blk's to the Redline Metro, then 5 quick stops to Downtown/Smithsonian Mall. Fully renovated 1896 circa house, contemporary/fully furnished, clean, sunny & bright, DRIVEWAY for off street parking, easy access to museums & tourist sites.
THE MONROE HOUSE is in the heart of a new Arts District, and has a big yard, big back deck, gas grill, is nicely done. Convenient neighborhood. Nice neighborhood with lots of personality.
3 blocks to Outdoor food markets Saturdays & Tuesday
5 blocks to large Yes! Organic market
2 blocks to CVS drug store and full strip of shops
12+ restaurants within a 5 block walk
Vegetable beds in our yard with 3 seasons of picking
LARGE TWO BEDROOM WHOLE HOUSE: 3 beds (twins can become a KING), also separate office in sun room, plus second desk. Beautiful renovated full bathroom. Half bath on 1st floor. All appliances: including microwave, washer/dryer. Linens and vegetable garden included. Large Kitchen, full dining room. WIFI, cable, washer/dryer, coffee maker, full kitchen, hair dryer, comfortable and fresh. Large private landscaped yard. Pick vegetables from our garden. Lots of outdoor living furniture. Sunny and bright indoors and out.
RESTAURANTS: A Dozen In The Neighborhood:
- Brookland’s Finest (one of my favorites)
- Steel Plate (nice small bar & restaurant)
- Brookland Pint (great microbrew beer, big outdoor seating in arts row)
- Smith Public Trust (small outdoor seating in back, bands sometimes)
- &Pizza (amazing selection of 3 minute individual pizzas in zillion combos)
- Halsa Restaurant (new foodie spot)
- Barnes & Noble Café (large seating to much on pastries)
- Bus Boys & Poets (great restaurant, event space, bookstore)
- Potbelly Soups & Salads (wholesome food at carryout prices)
- Menomali (great Neapolitan)
- San Antonio Grill (& bar: Mexican)
- Brookland Cafe (Americana Lite)
- Askale Cafe: (delicious Ethiopian)
And lots more: Subway + ordinary pizza carry outs & more
with lots of Vegetarian options at restaurants.
Arts Studio shops open to the public on weekends: 27 studios at Monroe Market on the other side of the Metro. Summer, spring & Fall this courtyard hosts a large outdoor food markets, from artisan breads to cheese, vegetable to local farm meats, crafted candies to regional fruit. Second outdoor market on Tuesday 4-7 p.m. by the big Metro bridge, 3 seasons a year. Edgewood Arts Center & Dance Place across the street from the Arts Walk host arts events constantly. Neighborhood is host to murals and public gardens.
- Park in our driveway
- Metro station 3 short flat blocks away: Redline subway (& buses)
- Rent a car in the neighborhood at Enterprise Rent a Car or ZIPcar or Car2GO
- Capital City bike rental in neighborhood OR store your own bike in our greenhouse off the deck
- Walking and bicycle path to downtown from neighborhood
- Use our driveway or rent a car in the neighborhood and avoid the high car rental at the airport
- Easy airport access from BWI, Dulles & National Airports--inexpensive subway access from the last
RECREATION IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD:
- Bike Trail & City Bike, inexpensive bike rental
- Yoga & Tai Chi studios with single classes
- Huge new playground with water park & creative climbing equipment
- Public Tennis courts
- Running track in huge green field with workout stations
- Franciscan Monastery Gardens 2 blocks away
- Dance Place: classes and performances 4 blocks away
- Large new rec center 7 blks. with Olympic size pool & hot tub 7$ a person for non-residents
- National Park 1 block away: Bunker Hill Park - part of forts to defend city in Civil War
- 3 universities nearby: Catholic University, Howard Divinity School & Trinity University
- Bicycle path to downtown & bicycle rental in 3 blks.
- Two gas stations in neighborhood
- 2 different Outdoor Farmers Markets: 3 seasons with artisan bread and fresh farm produce
- Banks, drug store, markets--organic and otherwise
- Murals, playground, ball field for running
- Art studio open to public on weekends
Lovely old homes, historic neighborhood book on Brookland from Arcadia Publishing, co authored by home owner. A historic crossroads village that became known as 'Little Rome,' has many home with signage that tells the story of the important African Americans that lived here--top leaders in the Johnston administration.Franciscan Monastery Gardens are 3 blocks away and open to the public. A ten minute drive away is the huge National Arboretum. The largest shrine in the U.S., sixth largest in the world, is up the street. Architecturally interesting neighborhood.
EXTRAs: 4 Metro Smartcards (needed to avoid 1$ per ride surcharge)
MORE INFO at my dedicated website for the house: www.VacationHouseDC.com
Member since: 2012
- 1000 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 4, Beds for 4
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bathroom
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
- Tourist Attractions
- Botanical Garden
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Recreation Center
Local Services & Businesses
- Fitness Center
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Sight Seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Basketball Court
- Mountain Biking
- Dining Area
- Seating for 8 people
- Air Conditioning
- Clothes Dryer
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Pantry Items
- Deck / Patio
- Lawn / Garden
- Outdoor Grill
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Nov 30 - Jan 12, 2017
3 night min stay
Million Woman March: 7 Women
Jan 21 - Jan 24, 2017
1 night min stay
LATE WINTER 2017
Jan 25 - Mar 1, 2017
3 night min stay
Mar 2 - Aug 9, 2017
5 night min stay
Rates are based on 2 guests; add $20 per night, per additional guest
My Standard Rate
4 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $250
- Cleaning Fee: $100 + tax
- Tax Rate 8%
$ 250 security deposit
$ 100 cleaning fee
Rate is based on maximum of 4 people, additional fees for more guests: must have advance notice.
Special offers negotiable
Owner's cancellation policy:
50% refund for cancellations more than 14 days before check-in date.
100% refund for cancellations more than 30 days before check-in date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Car: Not Necessary
RESTAURANTS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD:
- Menomali (great neapolitan pizza)
- San Antonio Grill (& bar)
- Little Ricky's (newly opened Cuban)
- Brookland Cafe
Lots more: Carryouts & vegetarian options.
- park in our driveway
- metro station 3 blocks away: Redline subway (& buses)
- rent a car in the neighborhood at enterprise rent a car or Zipcar
- capital city bike rental in neighborhood or store your own bike in our greenhouse off the deck
- walking and bicycle path to downtown from neighborhood
- use our driveway or rent a car in the neighborhood and avoid the high car rental at the airport
- easy airport access from bwi and national airports--inexpensive subway access. $30 cab from airport
RECREATION IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD:
- national park 1 block away: bunker hill park
- franciscan monastery gardens 2 blocks away
- dance place: classes and performances 4 blocks away
- large new rec center 5 blks. With Olympic size pool
- bicycle path to downtown & bicycle rental in 3 blks.
- two gas stations in neighborhood
- outdoor farmers market 3 seasons with artisan bread and fresh farm produce
- banks, drug store, markets--organic and otherwise
- murals, playground, ball field for running
NEARBY: 10 MINUTES OR LESS
- National Arboretum: Bonzai and many gardens, free
- Anderson Cottage-- use by Lincoln and 4 other presidents: museum free, tour requires reservations/$15
-Franciscan Monastery: gardens and tour, free--3 blks.
- three universities nearby, including catholic university, Howard divinity school & trinity univ.
Lovely old homes, historic neighborhood book on Brookland from Arcadia publishing, co authored by home owner. A historic crossroads village that became known as 'little rome,' has many home with signage that tells the story of the important african Americans that lived here--top leaders in the Johnston administration. A ten minute drive away is the huge national arboretum. The largest shrine in the u.S., sixth largest in the world, is up the street. Architecturally interesting neighborhood. The Monroe was built in 1896!
No cleaning fee on rentals of 6 days or more.
Taxes included, no extra fees.
Year Purchased: 1990
About the owner: I am the co-author of a photo history book on my Brookland neighborhood out from Arcadia Publishing's Images of America series. We have rented out our home for 14 years to visitors coming for multiple weeks on fellowships and internships. NOW we are doing vacation rental and having a good time with it. It keeps us taking care of the house in great detail. My husband and I understand vacation expectations and want to work with you. We have traveled extensively ourselves as professional volunteers. We endeavor to make everyone comfortable and happy, as this is our personal home that we share when we are volunteering or on travel.
Why the Owner Chose Northeast Washington, Washington, DC, USA:
Metro Access. Convenience, Driveway, Comfortable, Clean, Beautifully Decorated, New Air Conditioning system.
The Unique Benefits at this House:
No alley, private, my cousin owns the house directly behind. Huge yard, bright house, quiet brand new air conditioning system. Lots of tips, advice & maps in House Guide Book when you arrive.
Links to more information:
A lush garden surrounds THE MONROE HOUSE.
King or Twin back bedroom
Big L couch in living room
Big sunny kitchen
Breakfast nook off the kitchen
House is fully renovated
Lower deck w/lounge seating, off upper deck & back door to house & greenhouse.
Organic Market 8 blocks away down 12th Street, the main drag.
Powder room on main floor includes sink.
Historic & welcoming neighborhood with outdoor market, art studios & restaurants
Large master bedroom
Living room with 42" TV
Dining room, powder room, and kitchen entry
Kitchen is stocked with oil, vinegar, spices and teas.
Metro subway stop is a level 3 blks. away.
Cozy seating on the upper deck, right off the kitchen.
Lower Garden seating area
Luggage racks or stools, drawers and closets for your use.
With euro towel warmer.
Monroe House is an historic home built in 1896.
15 acre public gardens 2 blocks away at Franciscan Monastery
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Saturday, December 03, 2016
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM