Sparrow's Den, a Villa with a Million Dollar View, and Car.
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:7 nights
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:Yes
Ojochal villa description
This small gem of a house is situated on a plateau with amazing views of mountains, valleys and ocean, with a great view of the sunset every night. There is a bedroom with views of the rain forest, a living area with a kitchen section, and a large covered patio, with fans and lights. This is where you will spend your time, contemplating the view, and the wild-life.
There is an outside cooking area, with fridge, which keeps the house cool, although at 1,400 ft., is is often 5 degrees cooler than down on the beach. There is always a breeze and we have never felt the need for air-conditioning.
There is only one other house visible across the valley, and although remote, the only access road is gated, with a guard on at night.
It is a 15 minute drive down to the main road, where there are stores, and restaurants, ranging from el cheapo to gourmet.
The community is gated, with a guard on every night. The property has a electrically operated gate. although its remoreness guarantees security.
This is a combination of isolation and privacy, yet with access to facilities.
The bedroom has two single beds which can be moved together to make a king size bed.
Keywords: SPARROW's DEN is a compact, one bedroom house, in the mountains, overlooking ocean and valley, isolated, but with all conveniences
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Wheelchair Accessible:
- Not Suitable For Children:
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 2, Beds for 2
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Ice Maker
- Clothes Dryer:
- Washing Machine:
- Linens Provided
- Parking For RV/Boat/Trailer
- SPARROW'S DEN is small villa with only one bedroom, but we live outside on the large patio with dining area, and a fantastic view. There is an outside cooking area, with fridge. The house is situated on a plateau in a remote area, which is gated for security. There is only one other house close by, but it is quite separate and very private. The pool is private, not shared. The track, 4 miles from the main road is steep, requiring 4 Wheel Drive, and a Toyota RAV 4 is available, at extra charge. There are enough activities to keep you occupied, but sitting looking at the view, and the wildlife will take up a lot of your time. There are walks nearby, access to waterfalls and rappelling, walks in the rain forest, zip-lining, kayaking, horseback riding, bird watching, deep sea fishing and several good restaurants for dining, ranging from cheapo to gourmet. A property manager lives near and will be happy to advise....moreless
- DVD Player
- CD Player
- Wireless Internet:
- Free Long Distance:
- Mobile Phone:
- Deck / Patio:
- Outdoor Grill
Location & View
- Mountain View
- Whitewater Rafting
- Water Tubing
- Mountain Climbing
- Rock Climbing
- Mountain Biking
- Deepsea Fishing
- Bird Watching
- Sight Seeing
- Whale Watching
- Duty Free Shops
- Medical Services
- Horseback Riding
- Wildlife Viewing
- The villa is surrounded by rain forest, and there are many waterfalls within walking distance. Rappelling available. In the area are wildlife parks with zip-lining, rain forest walks, etc. There is wild-live on the property, monkeys, parrots, cotes, many birds. The altitude of 1,400 ft means that is is cooler, and there is always a breeze. Horse back riding and Kayaking can be arranged, a manager lives nearby. A short drive to the Sierpe river, and you can take a boat ride down the river to see the wildlife. Go for a day trip and they will take you out to sea, (Look for whales and Dolphins) and along the coast to Corcovado National Park for a hike through the forest. Another short drive to Dominical which is a center for surfing, and a little further for white water rafting. Our friend, Denise, will advise and arrange all these for you, at no cost to you....moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
Costa Rica Villa
Costa Rica Villa
When we first saw the Villa, we were overwhelmed. It was so beautiful. The view was incredible. From this high up, we could see the Pacific. Each morning, we took a walk along the road noticing the waterfalls, flowering trees and colourful birds. As we ate our breakfast, we sat outside enjoying the sounds of the howler monkeys and calls of the toucans. The Villa has two twin beds and lots of storage space for clothes. The kitchen had all of the modern appliances needed to prepare our meals. My husband said that the only downside was being awakened at dawn to the sound of howler monkeys and birds establishing their territory...a joy for me.
- Guest Jim (Richmond Hill, ON Canada)
- Date of stay 03/30/12
- Review Submitted 05/08/12
Recommended for: Sightseeing, adventure seekers, romantic getaway, age 55+.
Our Stay at the Top
Our Stay at the Top
Our stay at the Sparrow's Den was during November near the end of the rainy season. We felt safe and secure during our entire visit. We felt well connected with the G-3 internet connection. The beds were about the best I have slept in although we did push the twin beds together. The bathroom was modern with a very good shower. The kitchen-living room area was quite comfortable.The views from the covered outdoor dining and lounging areas include a jungle river and the ocean beyond with jungle in back. There are frequent spectacular sunsets. A short walkway takes you to the pool which sits at the end of a ridge in front of the main house. The views from here are spectacular and you can see the Pacific coastline to the top of the Osa Peninsula. To the SE the Great Tarraba River winds toward the ocean. Closer by is the sound of a waterfall. The bird watching is great with frequent toucan and parrot sightings. In the morning, howler monkeys greet the day from the jungle. Even though it was rainy season, we felt the roads to the top were very safe and well maintained. Rent only an AWD or a four wheel vehicle. Overall we rate our stay very highly
- Guest Nemo (Vermont, USA)
- Date of stay 11/02/11
- Review Submitted 05/06/12
Recommended for: People with disabilities, girls getaway, adventure seekers, romantic getaway, age 55+.
A bit of Heaven
A bit of Heaven
My husband and I spent two weeks in the Sparrow's Den in early April. The accommodations were exactly as described by the owners. Spectacular views of the Coronado River entering the ocean and Isla Ballena. Toucans visited daily. Several other birds that we were unfamiliar with flitted through the nearby trees including some aracaris. We saw agoutis and one afternoon a small wild pig wandered through the side of the yard. Every night we saw wonderful sunsets. The rainy season had begun while we were there and several days we experienced wonderful rains for up to an hour with most of the rest of the day being sunny. Very pleasant. The owners were very helpful with local information and the Rav 4 we rented from them was economical and efficient transportation for us. We found the fans throughout the home and patio sufficient for cooling and a couple of nights I felt the need to pull a blanket up over me. As we were leaving a private pool was being installed for use by guests in the Sparrow's Den. We loved it here and can't wait to return -- which we plan to do soon!
- Guest doodlebug (Burleigh Falls, Ontario)
- Date of stay 04/07/12
- Review Submitted 05/01/12
Recommended for: Sightseeing, people with disabilities, adventure seekers, age 55+.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
7 night min stay
Discounts: 8 nights or more: $100 Nightly
Additional information about rental rates
20% deposit on booking, balance on arrival
Additional Fees and Taxes:
This owner accepts: Credit cards.
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details. Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Sorry this information is not available. Please contact the owner for more information.
- Nearest Airport: Palmar Sur at 20 Kilometres
- Nearest Motorway: Coastal Road at 7 Kilometres
- Nearest Beach: Ventana at 10 Kilometres
- Nearest Golf: A new Course at 10 Kilometres
- Nearest Restaurant: Many at 10 Kilometres
Year Purchased: 2009
About the owner: We are a retired family physician and wife, who spends the summers in Ontario, and the winters in Costa Rica
Why the Owner Chose Ojochal:
We have traveled the world, and chose Costa Rica as the ideal combination of political stability, safety, medical care, living costs, climate, nice people, wildlife and scenery.
The Unique Benefits at this Villa:
Privacy in a remote area, though with access to civilization. All modern conveniences are present including WiFi in this get-away-from-it-all location.
- Primary: 905 581 6405
- Secondary: +1 4168300858
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
The living area/kitchen
Outside cooking area
Papaya, pineapples and lemons form the garden.
Patio, dining area and outside kitchen
Looking down from the patio
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Friday, May 24, 2013
1 Bedroom / 1 Bathroom
Get an instant quote
Always make sure to call the number on the listing to confirm payment details. Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check, or direct bank transfer. Learn More
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.