Charming Old World Lodging Above Historic Traditional Japanese Bathhouse
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:1 night
- Pets considered:Ask Owner
- Wheel chair accessible:Yes
Walnut Grove bed and breakfast description
There is nothing else like this! Enchanting and comfortable lodgings for 2 couples (separate rooms) full kitchen with all amenities, hardwood floors, gorgeous light, surrounded by swaying bamboo above the Historic Japanese Sento (private bath house) where you can soak in hot and cool tubs, take a delicious steam, with your choice of homemade salt scrubs, essential oils and aromatic flowers while sipping fresh hot ginger tea in the winter and a cool refreshments in the warmer months.
- 1800 sq. ft.
- 2 story
- Bed And Breakfast
- Dinner - Booking Possible
- Breakfast - Booking Possible
- Catering Available
- Private Chef
- Housekeeper Optional
- Wheelchair Accessible:
- Events Allowed
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 1 Bedroom, Sleeps 4, Beds for 4
- Fantasy bedroom is small, hence the double/full size bed, however it's exceedingly comfy, private and charming. The window opens out onto high swaying bamboo making you feel like you're in a tree house. Hardwood floors. Located directly across the hall from the bathroom. Bedroom 2, (if needed) doubles as a tea parlor/living room and has a very comfy queen size day bed. Hardwood floors, large window by the bed looks out to the beautiful swaying bamboo. Bedroom 3, in Tatami area of the Sento (bath house) is a Ca. King custom futon on tatami platform. This area is is an art gallery and lounging area, front of Sento, lower level....moreless
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom, 2 Half Bathrooms
- Bathroom upstairs has an antique lion claw tub with shower, sink and toilet. Also includes small cabinet with drawers for your toilet articles and full length mirror. Hardwood floors. Nice size window. Bathroom 2 downstairs in lounge area is wheelchair accessible. Bathroom 3 in Sento (bath house) is also wheelchair accessible and also serves as a changing room for the baths, with kimonos/yucatas for soaking guests....moreless
Kitchen & Dining
Dining area is part of open floor plan with kitchen. Spacious and light, hardwood floors, windows look out through the swaying bamboo onto the community park. Large table, more chairs can be available...moreless
Private kitchen for vacationers. The cupboards are original bead board, marble counter tops, farmhouse sink includes all appliances, open floor plan, hardwood floors and plenty of beautiful light!...moreless
- Pantry Items:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Coffee Maker:
- Clothes Dryer:
- Washing Machine:
- Fitness Room / Equipment:
- Towels Provided:
- Linens Provided:
Upstairs has a small eclectic library as well as new yorkers and science news magazines. Downstairs Lounge area has Japanese art books, Japanese american history, and books on rituals of soaking!...moreless
- Video Library:
Pool & Spa
Lawn / Garden:
Our building opens onto the community plaza, a charming tree shaded area with tables, chairs & benches, small & sweet vegetable patch, which you are welcome to. Plum blossoms abound in spring! 100X75 ...moreless
- Kayak / Canoe:
- Sports & Activities
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Massage Therapist
- Sight Seeing
- Water Skiing
- Jet Skiing
- Recreation Center
- Water Parks
- Winery Tours
- Paddle Boating
- Scenic Drives
- Bird Watching
- Health/Beauty Spa
- We are the only remaining functioning Historic Japanese Bath House (sento) in the country. The accompanying lodgings will take you back in time to enjoy old world charm as you tour this time machine of a town. A unique and interesting setting within the small Historic Japanese and Chinese towns, now burgeoning artist community, nestled among 1200 miles of waterways and sloughs right on the Sacramento river and near the convergence of the San Joaquin, and Consumnes rivers. We are surrounded by farm lands and park reserves where bird migrations of all kinds make their magical appearance fall through early spring. We have 7 art galleries within Walnut Grove and our neighboring town, Locke. ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
This property does not have any reviews yet.
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
1 night min stay
Discounts: 3 nights or more: $200 Nightly
Additional information about rental rates
$249 is the cost for 1 -2 couples staying in vac. rental & using the Sento (private bath house) for 2 hrs. (soaking together.) If each couple wants a private soak, add $72
If you choose not to use the Sento (private bath house) the vac. rental cost is $179 for 1 or 2 couples.
If you are more than 2 couples, additional sleeping area on 1st fl. for 2 only, at another $179 or $249 with soak/steam
- Pet Fee: $25
- Taxes Included
Policy available by contacting owner when booking.
This owner accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Beach: beach at 2 Miles
Year Purchased: 2003
About the owner: Eugene Phillips, builder, designer and artist, specializing in historic restorations and Montserrat Wassam, fine arts painter and installation artist, bought The Miyazaki bathhouse, an Historic landmark, as a virtual ruin. With their shared interest in water, history and the preservation of cultures, they devoted much of their time and love to the re creation of the Sento (bathhouse) as an expression of their mutual artistic vision, and as a vehicle to honor the customs of the Japanese culture and to introduce the love of the soaking ritual to Americans. Eugene grew up in Atascadero Ca. and Montserrat grew up in Paris France. They split their time between their home in San Francisco and Walnut Grove, Ca.
Why the Owner Chose Walnut Grove:
We stumbled upon The Miyazaki (built around the 1890's) as we took small back roads on our way home from 1 of our many excursions. We were very taken with the charming ghost town like quality of Walnut Grove and Locke and their haunting history. We had fallen in love while soaking in wild hot springs and the thought of owning and restoring a genuine Sento on the historic registry where we could soak and stay in the old boarding house upstairs, was... well...rather irresistible. Then we found out that there were once hundreds of these Japanese Bathhouses in the country, but after WWII they fell into disrepair and faded away. We simply loved the challenge of breathing life back into it as it was once the very heart beat of this Japanese community. Everyone thought we were nuts, and we were, but now we have a gem, and the community has blossomed around us, offering a ghost town with a burgeoning artist community. What a thrill!!
The Unique Benefits at this Bed And Breakfast:
Where else can you stay that offers real comfort with such unique charm, in a restored Historic landmark of cultural significance, with the opportunity to use the private soaking hot & cool tubs and steam room of the Miyazaki Osento, while lounging in the tatami area with tea service? Did I mention we can arrange for you to get an amazing massage by a certified licensed massage therapist during your stay?
- Primary: 415 793-6813
- Secondary: +1 916-776-4290 Call this number if first number doesn't repsond
Links to more information:
The Sento. Hot & cool soaking tubs & steam room
Traditional stool for pre-scrub before entering tubs, a Japanese ritual...
Sitting area among the art
Different view of Tatami lounge area for tea service
Day bed in tea parlor
A peak into the upstairs bathroom. Even the fluffy robes are supplied!
Looking out on to the little town
Beginning of Spring, side entrance
Sandhill crane bird migration, 5 minutes away
The Sento (Bath house)
A zen moment in the steam!
Making salt scrubs
View of Tatami lounge area and beyond into the Sento
Tatami lounge among the art
Fantasy bedroom in The Bamboo!
The tea parlor in lodging upstairs.
The front entrance
Park side of building in Fall
A little cafe in the plaza before your soak?
Bucolic view of the Sacramento river from Walnut Grove (1 block away)
There have been visitors to this page since
the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Tuesday, November 12, 2013
Get a rental quote, then book it!