4-5 Bedroom 3 full bath + outdoor shower sleeps 10-12
- english, Je parle un peu francais.
About Judith Bentkover
House is owned by a college professor and retired database designer from Boston. This is a second home which we rent out on a limited basis. The owners have impeccable taste and wanted to create a high-end beach experience, providing everything except your food, clothes, and toothbrushes. We chose Bonnet Shores for its gorgeous, sparsely populated beaches, hassle-free travel conditions and proximity to great food, theater, family activities as well as Block Island, Newport, Providence, and Jamestown.
Judith Bentkover purchased this House in 2006
Why Judith Bentkover chose Bonnet Shores
This property is all about gorgeous views and surf sounds, easy walk to either of 2 private deeded beaches, safe, nice neighborhood, great restaurants, wonderful array of things to do, fantastic neighborhood ... pretty close to paradise. Also close to boutique shopping, historic mansions in Newport, Mystic CT, fishing, kayaking, deep sea fishing, sailing, hiking trails, surf lessons, beach yoga, bike rentals, lighthouse tours, quick ferry to Martha's Vineyard, LOTS of gorgeous beaches in the Ocean State. Many Farmers' Markets, fresh lobsters off the boats, fresh fish, major supermarkets, small stores, ice cream, bakeries, yoghurt shops....something for everyone! Theaters, the arts, WaterFire, dance, musical concerts on the beach and in concert halls, dance lessons, art fairs....never a dull moment....unless you want to escape with a good book and go to the private beach or sit on the deck....
What makes this House unique
House is elegant but laid back enough for entertaining and relaxing in a very comfortable environment. No sacrifices (even an automatic generator in case of power outage); true beach luxury!
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 10:00 AM
Cable charges for pay-per-view movies will be deducted from damage deposit.
All fees imposed by vrbo will be passed on to renters
Canceled bookings will not receive a refund
Property comfortably accommodated 10. Walked to Kelly Beach each day, instead of car drop, and was easy for even the oldest (71) and youngest (8) in our crew. The house is stocked with beach chairs, umbrellas, beach cart, coolers, etc for beach going. It has a nice yard on the side of the house which was perfect for family yard games and games of pitch and catch. Owner provided good information on the area - restaurants, activities - in advance which helped with our planning. Would definitely stay at this property again.
Beautiful Beach House
The house was lovely and Judy was delightful to work with. There were a couple of challenges with damage to the house from a recent storm and she managed them all as quickly as possible and communicated with us through the process to keep us informed. The house is well stocked and perfect for multiple families with small children due to multiple family/living rooms.
All You Need To Bring Is Your Toothbrush
This large, comfortable house has all the things you hope to find in a vacation rental. Owner is very pleasant and greeted us when we arrived and showed us the many amenities of the house and was available by phone to answer any questions. She also provided information about local events and activities and popular restaurants. The large deck with a view of the water is a delightful spot for breakfast and family conversations.
We are so happy that you and your wonderful family enjoyed your stayed at our home. We hope to see you again soon!
Do not rent from this owner
Pros: location close to beach. kitchen well outfitted. ample parking. plentiful beach equipment. very attentive to repairing a loose guardrail
CONS: 1. Owner charges a fee of 3% for credit card payment online just prior to arrival (when it is too late to consider other vacation plans). VRBO/Homeaway even admits this is in breach of their contract but they won't do anything for the renter after payment has already been made.
2. The incredibly onerous and condescending 11 page list of instructions for "dos and don'ts" in the house was so threatening and punitive that much time in the house was negatively impacted by assessing the owner's potential perception of what was happening. For example, we are instructed to carefully wash recyclables or maggots will be there and thus the owner will be fined and that fee will be deducted from the security deposit. Other examples include being requested to water her plants on the porch, to wipe dirt from the porch slider door, to gently flush toilets and close faucets to avoid breaking them, and to be extra careful of the ceramic cooktop just to name a few more.
3. The chef knives that we were instructed to "wash immediately and hand dry" could barely cut a tomato.
4. The downstairs bedrooms were musty and mildewy smelling and the carpet even felt damp to walk upon.
5. The air conditioning, which we were encouraged to not use did not even cool the upstairs living area adequately.
6. The numerous emails and contacts about check out informed us that the cleaning crew would be "hovering" at 9:45 awaiting our departure.
7. Counting email and instructions, we were told to start loads of laundry of the house's sheets and towels a total of 6 times, and even though we did 4 loads of laundry on the day prior to checkout, we were contacted on checkout day that a washcloth was missing. Thus we would be charged for a matching replacement set of 3 towels which would be deducted from our security deposit. When we suggested rechecking by the cleaners, the "missing" washcloth was found.
8. We decided to leave a day early because we were more comfortable going home a night early because it simply wasn't comfortable enough to spend the night and rush out in the morning. We gave the owner a heads-up to this and were still asked to be sure to start laundry in advance. We paid a significant rental and cleaning fee and did not expect to have owner's laundry be a major or minor focus of our week vacation.
We are surprised, disappointed, and respectfully disagree with this renter.
1. VRBO puts a 3% fee on all payments by credit card and deducts it from owner's payment without fully disclosing to renters that they can avoid this fee by paying with a check. Many owners post a statement that indicates that all fees are passed on to renters. 2. The 11-page document includes lists of restaurants, shops, activities and information requested by other renters. We are sorry that this was characterized as onerous and condescending. There are some instructions related to the house in order to avoid issues (e.g. not flushing anything other than human waste and toilet paper down the toilet --no mention of gently flushing) so that guests would not be inconvenienced by a problem that could be avoided. Given the summer weather and our proximity to the ocean, it is indeed important to wash recyclables and bag garbage so that pests do not pose a problem. Indeed, this property is meticulous because we try to prevent any problems and we place a high value on cleanliness. It is true that we have 1 barrel of flowers on the porch which is not covered by our auto watering system and we did ask that during the heat wave, the renters provide some water so that future renters could enjoy the beautiful flowers. 3. We were unaware that the knives were dull; had we been told, we would have sharpened them. (That is why we ask that knives not be put in the dishwasher.) 4. We are unaware of musty, mildew odors and have had all carpets cleaned. 5. Our a/c works well (unless windows are open while it is running), so we were surprised to read that comment. We do ask that if there are long periods of time with no one in the house, the a/c units be shut down so that they run at their maximum power when needed. 6-7. We do ask that renters start a load of laundry in each of 2 machines since we want to make sure that the cycles have time to complete before next renters arrive. We fold and put away all laundry as we did for this renter. In consideration of his starting the laundry, we did not charge him for the high-end toaster that was broken during his stay.
We are truly sorry that our intent for the renter and his family to have a problem-free, wonderful vacation was not realized. We do not agree with the way events were characterized, notably the check-out time is posted before the rental fee is paid so there should be no need for a rushed exit.
Lovely beach; very clean rental.
Kelley beach was great for swimming, and a short walk from the rental. The house and porch were very comfortable. We had only one issue- an alarm turned on for no reason. I reported this to the owner and she had the problem repaired the same day. Overall, we had a lovely family vacation at this site.
We are so glad that you enjoyed your vacation. So sorry about that alarm and as is the case with any unanticipated issue, we live close by and will prioritize getting immediate resolution. Hope to see you again soon!
Beautiful Bonnet Beach
We loved experiencing this charming and gorgeous area and appreciated the recommendations and insights from the owners. Already looking forward to Rhode Island 2020–thank you, Judy & Peter!
We are so glad that you enjoyed staying with us and do hope to see you again soon!
Narragansett Town Beach, 2 private beaches with rights for renters
Ice Cream Shops