(Please read the following details and rates thoroughly for important information about check-in/check-out times, amenities, Extra Guest Fee for 3rd or 4th guests, and other policies. When submitting your inquiry please tell us something about yourself and those accompanying you, and a bit about the purpose of your trip. Thanks!)
You don't have to sacrifice tranquility and beauty for convenience. Meadow Lake Suite is relaxing, private, and cozy, with a picturesque meadow, stream and fishing lake just a few steps away. Yet nearby are parks, restaurants, and shops. It's the perfect accommodation for couples, small families, seniors, solo adventurers, and business travelers. While the owners live in the home upstairs, guests have the roomy suite all to themselves.
This is a private and restful one-bedroom, ground-level/walkout basement suite that features easily accessible parking; its own entrance; roomy master bedroom with queen bed, closet and desk; smaller separate bedroom area with a single bed; large bathroom with walk-in shower; kitchenette area; and a living room with comfortable seating, cafe table, and room for a roll-away bed. The suite is fairly accessible for those with limited mobility or handicaps. A crib is available on request. We also rent a cabin on the property that sleeps 4, allowing larger groups of up to 8 to enjoy the property together. (Search for "Meadow Lake Cabin" on HomeAway.)
Our check-in time is 3 p.m. Central. Check-out time is 10 a.m. Central. Please DON"T assume we're okay with arrival or departure times different from these. These times are based on our personal schedules, that are necessary for hosting you and others, and arriving early or departing late isn't acceptable without previous approval.
We're situated on 3.5 acres. Guests have access to the front meadow, a seasonal stream, lake dock, lakeside benches, and our salt-system (low chlorine) swimming pool with patio dining tables (located behind our home). Our lake is home to Largemouth Bass, Bream, & several turtle species, and is periodically visited by Hummingbirds, Great Blue & Green Herons, Canada Geese, Wood Ducks, Kingfishers, Muskrats, & Beavers.
Our home is located just off a county road, but on a private lane that's only used by the few residents living on it, allowing privacy without being remote. There is a railroad crossing within 1 mile, but the sound of the occasional train is usually soothing rather than disruptive. Chelsea has small-town character, but easy access to big-city amenities. The Shelby County area has many quiet and scenic roads to explore. Within 15 minutes you can find great dining and shopping options, a large cinema, and any number of services. Our county seat, Columbiana, has a pleasant Main Street to stroll, complete with a drugstore soda fountain. Columbiana also lays claim to a small gem of a museum with the second largest collection of George & Martha Washington memorabilia outside of Mt. Vernon!
Meadow Lake is approximately 30 minutes drive from downtown Birmingham, 40 minutes drive from Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport (23 mi or 37 km), 2.5 hours from Hartsfield-Atlanta Airport (152 mi or 245 km), 30 minutes from Amtrak Birmingham rail station (19 mi or 30 km), and less than 30 minutes from Interstates 65, 20, or 459.
We believe informality is a key ingredient of relaxation, and it begins when you arrive. We allow guests to let themselves in and get settled, and enjoy meeting them later when possible. We're always glad to recommend places to visit, shop, or eat at in our area, or otherwise make ourselves available to help.
Here are some important Rules of the House that our guests should know:
- We respect our guests' right to a quiet getaway, and ask them to also respect the peacefulness we enjoy. Evening quiet hours are from 10pm to 7am, but we like for Meadow Lake to be a tranquil place all day. Loud volume music or other entertainment isn't allowed on the property. Full disclosure: on weekends (mostly on Sundays) our children and grandchildren occasionally enjoy the afternoon in our home, so there is more activity upstairs or on the grounds at this time (usually from 1-6 p.m.). This Suite is in our home, so a give and take is expected. You may hear us upstairs just as we may hear you downstairs, but by being considerate of one-another's needs and schedules it works well. We are never loud and boisterous, and expect our guests to not be either.
- Our floors are carpeted for comfort, and we ask (but don't require) our guests to remove their shoes indoors to keep it a clean and sanitary space for themselves and future guests. Please bring slippers or socks.
- The suite, the area immediately around the house, and the pool area are all Smoke-Free Zones. Smoking is only permitted on the lawn areas. There are no exceptions to this. Smoking is permitted on the lawn, and guests must dispose of cigarette butts in their vehicle ashtray or a water bottle, not indoors. Smoking indoors will incur a damage fee.
- We require an accurate statement of the number of guests in your party, and that IF THERE ARE 3 OR 4 GUESTS THE EXTRA PERSON FEE OF $12 PER PERSON PER NIGHT BE PAID THROUGH HOME AWAY IN ADVANCE OF ARRIVAL. Cash will not be accepted. There is a limit of 4 people who can be accommodated in the Suite, and only the first 2 guests are covered in the basic rate. There is no extra person fee for children under 1 year old.
- Guests of ours may not invite their own guests into the Suite or onto the grounds, unless we've given our consent.
- Please remember that no pets are allowed in the Suite. This is to accommodate guests with allergies. Sorry, but no exceptions are considered (except for bona fide service dogs). Our “Meadow Lake Cabin,” however, can accommodate dogs. See its separate listing for the policy. Our dog "Tilly" lives in our home or fenced back yard, but does not have access to the apartment or other areas of the property. Our cat "Pepper" lives upstairs with us, and is never allowed in the apartment.
- Personal firearms may not be carried openly on the grounds or brought into the Suite.
- Minors using the pool or lake must be accompanied and supervised by an adult.
- A canoe is available for guests, but passengers must know how to swim and wear a PFD (personal flotation device, which is provided) at all times.
-The Host has a Master's degree in Environmental Education, and is a certified Alabama Master Naturalist. Guided nature walks can be arranged for an extra charge. If interested please inquire for details in advance of your stay. We also rent a mobile Grills, BBQ Smokers and Pizza Ovens for area events, through BBQRents, if you’re in our area for a family reunion or party.