About the property
- House1200 sqft
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay2 nights
House, 3 Bedrooms + Convertible bed(s), 2 Baths, (Sleeps 6)
Welcome to our little paradise in the woods....Please, come and stay awhile. Enter the front gate and leave the world behind. You will be greeted by our redwood sentries and the sound of trickling water. With an instant calm, you’ll know it’s time to relax and enjoy!
The house is nestled among the trees along the upper bank of the Eel River. You can walk along your own private path to its shore through the wild wooded walkway that leads through the property. On the river, you can hunt for rocks and fossils, play with your kids or your dog, wade in the water or fish for salmon and steelhead.
The yard is like your own private park. There are magnificent redwoods, ferns, and rhododendrons among many other native and blooming plants. Rio Dell sits along a bird migration route so there are many birds to enjoy at various times of the year. There are seed and nut feeders for you to fill (we provide the food) so that you can sit and enjoy the birds and the squirrels. We have an inviting fire pit area for roasting marshmallows or simply enjoying a warm, outdoor fire. Break out that guitar for an evening of singing around the campfire.
Inside, you will find a comfortable living space that is quaintly decorated. Large windows in the living room and dining area afford a sweeping view of the yard and the river beyond. There is a 55” LED TV and a wireless Blu-Ray player. We provide a small library of regular DVDs (bring your own blu-rays) plus hundreds of free, online Netflix movies. The living room easily seats 8 or 9. Our "shabby chic" queen sofa-bed is very comfy for sitting or sleeping (it has no “bar in the back”). Our gas wood stove, with its burning logs, really cozies up the place without the fuss or mess of a real wood fire.
Bring your iPod and plug it in to our Bose docking station to enjoy your favorite tunes. There is plenty to read as we keep our entire library of books in this house. We also keep an assortment of games for all ages. Bring your laptop and either plug in or connect via wi-fi for your surfing pleasure.
The kitchen is fully equipped and has a few extras including filtered drinking water, a latte machine, a coffee bean grinder, a bread machine, a toaster oven, a 5 qt crock pot and a gas grill outside. The dining table seats 4 and there is a foldaway table that seats an additional 4 There are also 4 TV trays for the living room.
The Library room sleeps 2. It has a daybed with a trundle. The Bunk room sleeps 3. It has a bunk bed with a trundle plus a small TV with a built-in DVD player. The Big Bear room is the master bedroom and it has a queen size "Sleep Number" bed – we get our best nights sleep on this mattress. You can adjust the firmness separately on both sides to suit your comfort. This room has a private bathroom. We have provided high quality bedding in every room so that you'll sleep well!
If you chose to step outside the sanctuary of our “Redwoods on the River” home, you will find a wonderful world of things to do!
There is a small market nearby for those emergency “geez, I forgot” moments. Also, just 5 miles north on Hwy 101, the town of Fortuna has most everything you need. This includes 2 major grocery stores, fast food and full service restaurants, a small movie theatre and even a Starbucks! If you want more choices as well as a mall, Eureka is located just 25 miles north.
Things to do:
• Scout for Fossils all along the Eel River and especially near the Scotia Bluffs. You can walk to the bluffs from the house. The area is well renowned for its fossils.
• Visit the fabulous Chapman’s Gem and Mineral Shop -3 miles North on Hwy 101. It has a great rock and mineral museum you’re sure to enjoy.
• Go Antique shopping in Fortuna, Ferndale or Eureka.
• Step into the 18th century with a visit to the Victorian Village of Ferndale! You can shop, eat, peruse art galleries or take a stroll to marvel at the beautifully preserved Victorian architecture -just 15 miles away.
• Tour the Loleta Creamery where they manufacture organic cheese. The tour is interesting, educational and delicious!- 13 miles north on Hwy 101.
• Drive the scenic Lost Coast which is the most undeveloped wilderness on the CA coast. There are tide pools at the ocean so be sure to time your trip for low tide. The drive will take the better part of a day so gas up and pack your lunch. There are also hiking trails and campsites for a more extended adventure.
• Drive the 35 mile scenic road though the Avenue of the Giants which is 7 miles south of Rio Dell off Hwy 101. Whether you hike, bike or drive, you will encounter some of the oldest and tallest trees in the world. This forest has never been logged! Humboldt Redwoods State Park is entwined with the Avenue so you can go to the Visitor's Center to learn about the diverse coastal redwood ecosystems and pick up a trail map.
• Hike a dog friendly trail in the redwoods or on the beach– we have a list of dog friendly places at the house.
• Go bird watching at the Humboldt County National Wildlife Refuge. Don’t forget your binoculars and camera! This is a natural bird migration route and many birds nest here at the southern tip of Humboldt Bay. 16 miles north off Hwy 101.
• Walk on a quiet beach – 30 minutes drive.
• Find a swimming hole and jump in.(we have a list of local swimming holes at the house)
• Find a fishing hole on the river or in the surf and cast your line. Or join a guided ocean or river fishing trip. We have World Class fishing here on the North Coast!
• Bring a canoe or kayak and paddle the river, the bay or the ocean.
• Golf at the Redwood Empire Golf Course in Fortuna
• Enjoy some Vegas style action at the Bear River Casino near Loleta! – 13 miles north off Hwy 101
By all means, whatever you do, DON’T FORGET YOUR CAMERA!
Keywords: House, Home, River, Trees, Redwoods, Fishing, Hiking, Biking
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- Calendar last updated:
- May 20, 2018
About Carol Shuping
Hi, We're Doug and Carol. This little house in the redwoods will be our retirement home one day! We love to come here by ourselves and with our family. We must know every curve in the road between here and Santa Rosa by now! We've invested a great deal of hard work into this house over the years and we're proud to share it with you. We got married here in 2006 and we've spent many holidays with our family in this house. Our two beagles, Rocky and Bailey, have the time of their lives in Rio Dell. The backyard is big enough for them to run, run, run and it's made just right for sniffing!
Carol Shuping purchased this House in 2000
Why Carol Shuping chose Rio Dell
We love the beautiful big redwood trees and the river. We also love the proximity to the ocean here in the "banana belt" of Humboldt County. The ocean is close enough for a short drive but far enough for more sunny weather. The Redwood Forest with it's coastal beaches is an inspiring part of the world.
What makes this House unique
Privacy – we love the feel of privacy without real remoteness. Although we’re in town with city water and neighbors on both sides, there is nothing behind us but the river and a mountain. You can see the river through the trees and hear it rushing down below! We also love the big trees and the ferns that make the yard feel like a park. It’s a wonderful place to hang out with the dogs and the grandkids!
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Nice and peaceful. Loved the back yard.
The house was very comfortable. We wnjoyed relaxing there. Very convenient to see the redwoods in both Humboldt Redwood State and Redwood National parks!
Beautiful house and a nice backyard
Close to Eureka, Arcata, Trinidad. Beautiful backyard with redwood trees and access to the river. Nice hospitality.
Missing dishwasher, if u plan to cook, then be prepared to wash dishes.
Enable wifi calling on ur cell as depending on the cell service, you may face signal reception issues.
Had to troubleshoot wifi password, owners should call the service provider to have it simplified instead of using the standard router password.
Stay was good, and I would recommend the house to anyone looking for redwood Forrest quite vacation.
Thank yo for the kind review and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.
Unfortunately, the kitchen does not have ample or practical space for a dishwasher. I'd actually love to have one and have had the upgrade evaluated.
I'm sorry about the internet password being so long. I have actually tried to get it simplified but the provider does not allow it. Sometimes you just get stuck with what is available, especially in rural areas.
Loved everything about this house.
Loved everything about this house. Great house, great location for me to visit with my children, grand children and great grandchildren. Will stay here again.
Private and comfortable hideaway in the redwoods.
Our second stay at Redwoods on the River was just as wonderful as the first. For my wife and me, this cute house is extremely private, very quiet, comfortable, and the perfect place to relax. It’s also in an ideal location from which to explore Humboldt Redwoods State Park to the south (which we have been visiting almost yearly for the past 25 years) and Ferndale, Humboldt Bay and all the other attractions to the north. As for the house itself, it’s clean, well maintained, and has a functional kitchen. We appreciate the comfortable bed, the huge TV screen, the large collection of DVDs and many interesting books to browse through. The décor inside is also charming, with the various animal themes. From the living room, we look out through an entire wall of windows to a nicely landscaped yard with redwoods, hydrangeas, and, I think, rhododendrons. One can even get a peek at the Eel River bed below through the trees. If we were staying during the colder months, one thing we might want is heat in the bedrooms, as the only source of heat seems to be the gas powered stove in the living room (other than a heater in the ceiling of the large bathroom). However, the stove does put out a lot of heat and keeps much of the house warm. In any case, we definitely plan to return in the future. We love this house and its location!
Very Nice Property
Thank you for sharing your home, we enjoyed our stay. Everything was perfect.
Had an excellent time, great hosts and amazing yard.
Search for fossils along the banks of the Eel River, hike or bike among the giant redwoods, visit historical Ferndale, walk on the beach, take a scenic drive, visit the quaint shops of the old downtown area of Eureka.