WELCOME to Shellbox Cottage. Our fresh, bright & clean & classic 'Old Florida' Beach Cottage just down the street from the Gulf of Mexico.
As availability for Shellbox is limited, please do not request a booking until we settle date availability & if the cottage is a match for you (for people with disabled or young children take a look at the loft steps).
Are you tiring of white wall cookie-cutter condos?
Admittedly, some have great water views during the day - although my dad used to say "you can't see the ocean at night"! Kidding aside, if you're looking for that piece of old Florida, with a pool, a tennis court and a very short walk to the beach -- then the Shellbox Cottage may be for you.
Although it is not for everyone! Read on -
Especially the last paragraph.
The most frequent questions.....
- We only rent Shellbox Cottage about 8x a year. We use it 2-4 times annually & we often lend it to family & friends and offer it for honeymoons and weddings to our friends children. So we may be able to move dates around. We suggest ALWAYS writing first. One never knows.
- 'Is a true cottage?' Yes! It was moved from the beach in the 1960's. It is NOT a duplex. There is no one above you. There is no one below you. Nor on the 'other side` of a wall.
It's a classic - original wooden walls, wooden floors & important details like true/real wooden blinds. A classic mid-century Florida design, mistakenly preserved! Great design leads to a very bright home. Our attention to detail means it's kept fresh and clean. Sanibel Islands first Real Estate Agent lived here (Pricilla Murphy). The woman who named Periwinkle.
- The pool (heated) is only a few steps from our back door. Shellbox Cottage is one of very few true old free-standing beach cottages left on the island with a pool and tennis court. Additionally, the pool deck, the pool heater, the tennis court and BBQ's are all brand new!
- The beach is a very short walk away. The famous 21+mile Sanibel multi-use path is right outside our front door. Your kid will make it in 2 minutes but it will only take you 3-5 minutes to catch up. Use `Google Street view` to see exactly how short your walk would be. One of our photos is taken right from the cottage - you can see the Holiday Inn (now The Sanibel Beach Resort) down the street - which is right on the water & a great place for a cocktail your first night or a dinner - then a stroll home.
- Our fun, exceptionally clean, bright & easy to use beach cottage offers the best of two worlds - your own cottage but part of a small, pleasant association with a fantastic pool & tennis court on a 4-acre oasis of gracious, lush, quiet grounds with mature tropical trees. No one walking past your door, or worse, smoking outside it. This means no worries about a crowd at the pool.
A quiet oasis on Sanibel, but close to everything.
Donax Village is more than half occupied by owners who do not rent. They are our friends and neighbors, so we are always delighted to rent to respectful people.
Also, while it does sleep 6 nicely keep in mind futons are not as comfortable as beds - so it's best suited for a months stay - for 2-4 people with the occasional guests, like children or grandchildren on the futons and in the loft. The beds are brand new (within 3 years) [with mattress pads/blankets/linens cleaned each time] & the master bedroom hosts a 2015-16 Tempur-Pedic king [no eating or drinking in bed please].
Your own cottage, no shared walls. All yours.
An Unusual 5 places to relax outside!
1. FRONT PORCH. Open air - perfect for evening cocktails
2. SCREENED IN BACK PORCH. Perfect for morning coffee. naps, looking over the pool or waiting for the cook to come back from the Weber) BBQ grills.
3. POOL DECK. Chaise, chairs and dining tables. We have lunch by the pool most days we are on Sanibel.
4. PICNIC TABLES. Right near the grilling/bbq area
5. and of course the BEACH and thee Gulf of Mexico just down the street.
Plus - a hot & cold shower in back - the finest shower in the world if you ask us!
[and cold water rinse shower out front for shells and feet and keeping the beer cooler ready]
Two full bathrooms - the master bath, newly redone for 2017, was designed by a well known decorator from NYC & East Hampton NY in return for a stay at Shellbox! He also advised us to keep the charm of the original [and adorable] guest bathroom under the loft.
Sanibel's famous bike path-- just outside our door.
Walk to the Jac or Matzaluna for dinner or hit Dairy Queen for a `dip`
Walk over to Periwinkle Campground and say hello to the birds
Close to premier bike rental places with our beach clunkers thrown in FOR FREE [more unusual on Sanibel than you would think and big money saver for the casual biker]
A big old box of everything: sand toys, boogie boards, umbrellas, shovels & pails, and even POOL RAFTS and some decent tennis rackets all for the price of putting it all away clean.
Games, toys, the classic paperback book stack, some decent DVD's, videos, and a small diverse music library. An audio wire to our fantastic stereo system for your MP3 & Smart phone playlists.
Entertaining items (champagne, wine, water, margarita & cocktail glasses, ice bucket, interior & exterior tablecloths, candle holders lobster pots, etc). One of us is a professionally trained cook so we have lots of kitchen toys.
This is a true cottage (and it's pretty darn cute). It even sat on the beach in the late 1950/60's. It is clean. It's bright, comfortable & graceful in it's dotage and it has this really great energy everyone seems to feel the moment they enter.
HOWEVER it is NOT perfect & it is NOT brand new (there are no Corian counter tops, no stainless steel appliances, nary a Sub-Zero refrigerator or modern new furnishings. THIS is by design!
This would be more like borrowing your family's old beach house.
Not for everyone - but - perfect for some...
You know who you are......