Come Back to Old Florida. Booking Summer Vacation & Winter 2018 Now(31 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:1-31 nights
- Property type:Cottage
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:N/A
About the Property
The Perfect Beach Cottage. Walk to Beach, Heated Pool, Porches. Clean & Fresh!
PLEASE DO NOT REQUEST TO BOOK UNTIL WE CHAT FIRST VIA EMAIL OR PHONE! THANKS
Are you tiring of white wall cookie cutter condos with cheap art?
Admittedly, some have great water views during the day - although my dad used to say "you can't see the ocean at night"! Kidding aside, if you're looking for that piece of old Florida, with a pool, a tennis court and a very short walk to the beach -- then the Shellbox Cottage may be for you.
Although it is not for everyone - read on - especially the last sentence.
The most frequent questions.....
- We only rent Shellbox Cottage 8 to 10 times a year. We use it 2-4 times annually & often lend it to family & friends. So we may be able to move dates around. We suggest ALWAYS writing first. One never knows.
- The pool (heated) is only a few steps from our back door. Shellbox Cottage is one of very few true old free-standing beach cottages left on the island with a pool and tennis court. Additionally, the pool deck, the pool heater, the tennis court and BBQ's are all brand new!
- The beach is a very short walk away. The famous 21+mile Sanibel multi-use path is right out the front door. Your kid will make it in 2 minutes but it will only take you 3-5 minutes to catch up. Use `Google Street view` to see exactly how short your walk would be. One of our photos is taken right from the cottage - you can see the Holiday Inn (now Sanibel Resort) down the street - which is right on the water & a great place for a cocktail your first night or a dinner - then a stroll home.
- Our fun, exceptionally clean, bright & easy to use beach cottage offers the best of two worlds - your own cottage but part of a small, pleasant association with a fantastic pool & tennis court on a 4-acre oasis of gracious, lush, quiet grounds with mature tropical trees. No one walking past your door, or worse, smoking outside it. This means no worries about a crowd at the pool.
A quiet oasis on Sanibel, but close to everything.
Donax Village is more than half occupied by owners who do not rent. They are our friends and neighbors, so we are always delighted to rent to respectful people.
Also, while it does sleep 6 nicely keep in mind futons are not as comfortable as beds - so it's best suited for a months stay - for 2-4 people with the occasional guests, like children or grandchildren on the futons and in the loft. The beds are brand new (within 3 years) [with mattress pads/blankets/linens cleaned each time] & the master bedroom hosts a 2015-16 Tempur-Pedic king [no eating or drinking in bed please].
Your own cottage, no shared walls. All yours.
An Unusual 5 places to relax outside!
1. FRONT PORCH. Open air - perfect for evening cocktails
2. SCREENED IN BACK PORCH. Perfect for morning coffee. naps, looking over the pool or waiting for the cook to come back from the Weber) BBQ grills.
3. POOL DECK. Chaise, chairs and dining tables. We have lunch by the pool most days we are on Sanibel.
4. PICNIC TABLES. Right near the grilling/bbq area
5. and of course the BEACH and thee Gulf of Mexico just down the street.
Plus - a hot & cold shower in back - the finest shower in the world if you ask us!
[and cold water rinse shower out front for shells and feet and keeping the beer cooler ready]
Two full bathrooms - the master bath, newly redone for 2017, was desgined by a well known decorator from NYC & East Hampton NY in return for a stay at Shellbox! He also advised us to keep the charm of the original [and adorable] guest bathroom under the loft.
Sanibel's famous bike path-- just outside our door.
Walk to the Jac or Matzaluna for dinner or hit Dairy Queen for a `dip`
Walk over to Periwinkle Campground and say hello to the birds
Close to premier bike rental places with our beach clunkers thrown in FOR FREE [more unusual on Sanibel than you would think and big money saver for the casual biker]
A big old box of everything: sand toys, boogie boards, umbrellas, shovels & pails, and even POOL RAFTS and some decent tennis rackets all for the price of putting it all away clean.
Games, toys, the classic paperback book stack, some decent DVD's, videos, and a small diverse music library. An audio wire to our fantastic stereo system for your MP3 & Smart phone playlists.
Entertaining items (champagne, wine, water, margarita & cocktail glasses, ice bucket, interior & exterior tablecloths, candle holders lobster pots, etc). One of us is a professionally trained cook so we have lots of kitchen toys.
This is a true cottage (and it's pretty darn cute). It even sat on the beach in the late 1950/60's. It is clean. It's bright, comfortable & graceful in it's dotage and it has this really great energy everyone seems to feel the moment they enter.
HOWEVER it is NOT perfect & it is NOT brand new (there are no Corian counter tops, no stainless steel appliances, nary a Sub-Zero refrigerator or modern new furnishings. THIS is by design!
This would be more like borrowing your family's old beach house.
Not for everyone - but - perfect for some...
You know who you are......
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Verify your payment method
Member since: 2011
- 1300 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Car Optional
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Low Allergen Environment
- Children Welcome:
- Non Smoking Only
- Pets Not Allowed
- Suitable For Elderly Or Infirm
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6
- Each bed has brand new fresh & attractive 100% cotton linens and comforters (purchased 2012). Futons are 'full size' and can sleep 2 people who really like each other, but better perhaps for 1 person. At heart the Shellbox is truly a 1 BR however the cottage sleeps 6 well and with 2 bathrooms 6 is not a problem. Please note the steps to the loft are steep and not recommended for disabled, elderly and some younger children....moreless
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Live Theater
- Recreation Center
Local Services & Businesses
- Fitness Center
- Massage Therapist
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Outlet Shopping
- Paddle Boating
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Deepsea Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Golf Privileges Optional
- Jet Skiing
- Pier Fishing
- Roller Blading
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Surf Fishing
- Water Skiing
- Dining Area
- Seating for 6 people
- Activities Guide
- Air Conditioning
- Alarm Clock
- Broadband Access
- Ceiling Fans
- Clothes Dryer
- Fitness Room / Equipment:
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided:
- Living Room:
- Local Maps
- Local Restaurant Guide
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Wireless Internet
- 4 Ring Stove
- Coffee Grinder
- Coffee Maker
- Cooking Utensils
- Lobster Pot
- Beach Chairs
- Beach Towels
- Kayak / Canoe:
- Lanai / Gazebo:
- Lawn / Garden:
- Outdoor Grill
- Outdoor Grill Gas
- Porch / Veranda:
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
SNOWBIRDS 28 nights
Oct 1 - Feb 28, 2017
1 night min stay
Mar 1 - Mar 1, 2017
31 night min stay
Mar 2 - Mar 31, 2017
1 night min stay
SNOWBIRDS 28 nights
Apr 1 - Apr 30, 2017
1 night min stay
May 1 - Sep 30, 2017
1 night min stay
Oct 1 - Apr 30, 2018
1 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $500
- Cleaning Service Charge $140 + tax
- Tax Rate 11%
NIGHTLY RATE FOR ILLUSTRATION PURPOSES. We cannot rent nightly (short term) per Sanibel city rules.
Short term dates you see already blacked out may be times we or our (lucky) friends & family are borrowing the Shellbox - so -
As these dates `may be able` to be changed PLEASE ALWAYS write us if you have dates you are interested in!
Also happy to tentatively block dates for you before deposits are received although we prefer to talk by phone for these situations.
$200 (basically an extra night) Holiday Surcharge for NATIONAL HOLIDAYS ONLY/PLEASE INQUIRE if your days overlap the following dates on either side of these days: Memorial Day, The 4th of July, Labor Day, Columbus Day Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years
No surcharge for New Years if you stay Christmas Eve and Day. No other fees other than tax and cleaning.
Owner's cancellation policy:
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Car: Not Necessary
Many people know of Sanibel's tranquil beauty, pristine white beaches and laid back charm. But there are other things just as important to a vacation you may want to consider on your vacation. Sanibel & Captiva Island is one of the best place in the world for a beach vacation and shelling with half the island a federal wildlife preserve. We have visionary land which means few chain stores (no big box stores, no high rises and no buildings no taller than a Royal Palm Tree) so our Island is pristine and beautiful from one end to the other (no matter who's home you choose). No traffic lights. No McDonalds, no cars going faster than 35mph. Just laid back island life. There are over 21+ miles of paths for walking jogging strolling & biking - one of the finest in the United States and we are only 28 miles from and efficient and well planned `international` airport (& only 2.5 hours from Miami). Few great beaches in the world are this close to an international airport. And a narrow 3 mile causeway places it far away from everyday life.
Come relax & reunite with yourself & those you love.
Year Purchased: 2012
About the owner: We live in NYC. We are from NYC & Ohio originally. We rented here for the first time in 2008 and were hooked! We rented for several years before we bought the Shellbox and hope to retire here. 10 years to go.
Why the Owner Chose Sanibel Island, FL, USA:
The cottage was designed by an architecture student as his graduation thesis. His parents were early developers on the Island and his mother refused to destroy the house. So it was saved and moved to this location. It's a great cottage - interesting and efficient layout, bright, old wood walls that still smell like the beach and it belonged to the islands first real estate agent - a woman - who also named Periwinkle!
The Unique Benefits at this Cottage:
Several agents tried to steer us to the west end, which we love for it's seclusion but we really fell in love with the Sanibel Shores area. It is true the east end is busier - but we love the way streets run north south here (easier beach access) and we liked the convenience of riding our bikes to the Dairy Queen, the liquor store or a stroll home from Matzaluna or the Lazy Flamingo. We also think of ourselves and environmentalists. We see how many days we can go without using our car and this is the perfect part of the island for that. It's also kind of a romantic area in a way, so it's good for our soul.
- Primary: +1 9178879099 Please email as well! Sometimes cell out of range
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
The Shellbox Cottage, no shared driveways or walls. Small cottage behind you.
View from the side of cottage.
Lanai/Den Large flat screen TV.
Master bedroom (full bath & washer/dryer just off room) Two c losets.
Use of beach bikes - no charge. Ride at own risk of course!
Shower in the garden (hot and cold water).
The pool is just the perfect distance away from cottage.
Pool has tables, chairs, umbrellas & chaise chairs.
Great front porch. Perfect for sundowners or contemplation of exercise on path
Sanibel Lighthouse 1940's
The approach from your car.
The living room. Newly redone (2015) southern oak floors
From lanai to living room (east to west)
Cool stove huh? It works. It's quirky sometimes.
Screened back lanai - our place for the after morning swim coffee and newspaper
Fresh clean newly renovated and usually very quiet pool area.
Tennis court is to the area left of the pool
Sanibel's famous 21mi path right outside our door and that's the beach @ the end
The fantastic Gulf of Mexico
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Request to book
Contact the owner or see rate notes on this listing for additional information and fees
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.