About the property
- House1526 sqft
- Half Baths0
- Minimum Stay1 - 4 nights
Relax in this quaint cottage that sits directly on the Susquehanna River. Step back into a simpler time and enter the beauty and charm of this two story house featuring a large wrap around deck from which you can watch eagles fly over the river. Walk right down to the water's edge and enjoy the river from our dock. Fish from the shore, or use one of our 6 kayaks to explore the Susquehanna and it's lush islands. The house features 2 private bedrooms and 2 large open loft areas which offer multiple beds for our guests (please see bedroom descriptions below for complete overview). We are easy to get to - just off of 22/322 in Dauphin, within a short driving distance of all Central PA attractions (Downtown Harrisburg, Hershey Park, Gettysburg, Lancaster, etc.). Convenient location in Central PA makes a perfect spot to meet friends and relatives from surrounding states. 25 minutes from the Harrisburg International Airport.
MILITARY DISCOUNT OFFERED - to active duty, reservists and retirees. Please ask for more details.
Pam and Mike Cruey
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- Calendar last updated:
- Apr 23, 2018
About Pam and Mike Cruey
Mike and I met in 2000 here in the Harrisburg area and we have been inseparable ever since. Mike is originally from northern Kentucky, and I grew up Northwest of Pittsburgh. We both love the outdoors, and have our own house just down the road from this cottage. We have horses, bees, chickens, and our dogs Sophie and Elvis - a menagerie of furry friends that keep us busy and entertained. Our blended family of four children are all grown, and now we have the pleasure of enjoying our four grandchildren, Levi, Norah, Evelynn Josephine and Benson. Mike served in the US Army for 20 years and we proudly offer a military discount to our guests who are currently serving in the military or are retired from service. Please inquire about our military discount!
Pam and Mike Cruey purchased this House in 2015
Why Pam and Mike Cruey chose Middle Paxton
When we built our own house in 2007 and first moved to the River Road area, we fell in love with this cottage when we would walk past it. It was of course owned at that time by someone else, but we talked about how lovely it would be to own it ourselves one day. The house was originally built in 1939 as a summer home for a Harrisburg family and is filled with character! The wood work throughout the house and fabulous deck out back intrigued us, and we knew it would be a great place to entertain. When it went up for sale, we made an offer on day one! We knew we could give this cottage what it needs - some time/attention, a little love, and fill it with people who would enjoy the river and the relaxing peace this cottage has to offer. We hope that you enjoy this cottage as much as we do!
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
An excellent vacation rental that is well managed
Pam and Mike have done a fantastic job of providing pretty much everything a group would want for having a relaxing weekend and enjoying their time together how they want to spend it. We had 10 total people (all adults).
Here's what I mean by "well-managed":
- Just the right amount of labels and instructions for things like electrical switches and appliance controls; no need to call hosts with questions
- Mike visited briefly early on during our stay to chat for a bit and ensure we had everything
- Plenty of wood for the scenic firepit on the banks of the river; Mike also provided us with an axe for splitting the larger logs
- A lot of helpful "little things" (condiments/spices, extra trash bags/paper towels, coffee filters, dish soap, vacuum, etc) that one might forget to bring or pick up from grocery
- Their attention to detail on their property's listing was thorough and accurate and helped us with planning
Things we especially liked:
- Fire pit by the river was very pretty stunning at dusk/night
- Very large covered porch with plenty of seating and a large table for games
- Two bathrooms was a huge asset (we've stayed at plenty of places with just one and it's pretty annoying, especially first thing in the morning)
- Lots of lighting, inside and out (again, helpful for game playing)
- Very close to plenty of groceries and restaurants but not SO close as to ruin the feeling of "getting away"
Things to consider:
- As they make very clear in the listing, there are only two private bedrooms, so be sure that everyone else is okay with sleeping in open areas (mostly re: noise)
- As they also make clear, it may not be suitable for very young children both because of the loft railing and the proximity to the river
- We had either misplaced the instructions for "what to do before check-out" or it was inadvertently not left on the kitchen table (as Pam later told me), so if you don't see it, contact your hosts; I've often seen such instructions on the fridge at other rentals
Conclusion: Without a doubt, an excellent vacation rental managed by thoughtful and considerate hosts. Thank you Pam and Mike for your efforts and I hope we get a chance to come back again!
Amazing place, the nature, the rustic cottage and comforts supplied by the owners were perfect!!!
Highly recommended, owners very attentive and provided everything needed for a wonderful stay. The view of the river is unobstructed and nature abounds.
We loved our stay at this lovely cottage. We couldn’t have asked for a more cozy long weekend with our family and friends. Everything we needed was at this house. Would love to stay there again. Pam and Mike are amazing hosts.
Charming house on the river
Great girls weekend - the house had all we needed- even a cheese grater! Wish it would have been warmer, I bet it’s awesome in the summer with kayaks and tubes a’plenty!
Clean, cute, and lovely place! Enjoyed my girls weekend here. So accessible to downtown Harrisburg.
A great retreat but close to all the essentials.
The property was exactly as described. We enjoyed cozying up by the fire and watching the snow. We ended up staying in one evening to fix dinner and the kitchen has everything you need to cook up a feast.
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
A SERVICE FEE is charged by VRBO/HOME-AWAY (effective 2/18/16). This service fee is paid directly to them not to the owner. Rates are subject to change until bookings are final. DAMAGE DEPOSIT returned within 7 days of checkout, after verification of 'no-damage'. EVENT USE FEE - An event use fee may be added for reunions, weddings, etc. This amount may be negotiated between Owners and Guest during the booking process.