Luxury Chateau in Normandy Countryside - Steps from Local Village
You sent a message to this manager.
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
St.-Evroult-Notre-Dame-du-Bois castle description
The owners of this historic monument are a Franco-American family with six children and several young grandchildren. They frequently gather together their extended family of cousins, aunts, uncles, and great-grandparents. And they renovated Chateau de Courtomer so that each member of the family feels welcomed, comfortable and at home. Though decorated with antiques and family heirlooms, magnificent Courtomer is primarily a home. Each bedroom has its own fully-equipped, tastefully modern bathroom. The kitchen has also been brought up to 21st century standards -- this is a family that likes to cook and eat together! A new heating plant keeps the chateau comfortable even in cold weather and ensures a constant supply of hot water.
Family members of all ages enjoy the billard room and the ping pong table, a movie and games room, as well as the outdoors. Playing outside -- guests have even landed hot-air balloons on the grounds -- in the extensive park around the chateau is a delight in all seasons. There are benches and lounge chairs under the trees, a portable fire pit, woodland paths, blackberry patches, and an interesting collection of rare buildings to see. One of the few Protestant temples to survive the revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685 is on the grounds, as well as two family burial chapels. The 17th-century ice-house, or glacière, is still intact. And there is an Orangerie as well as old stables and other farm buildings, most still in use. Courtomer is a working farm with a herd of registered limousine cattle, as well as cultivated fields. You can walk to the village and take bicycle rides through the surrounding countryside. D-day beaches, Mont Saint-Michel, the chateaux of the Loire, Monet's Giverny and many other attractions are within two hours' drive away.
Needless to say, Chateau de Courtomer's warm and elegant atmosphere is ideal for your wedding and other special family occasions!
- 1750 m²
- Vacation Rental
- Suitable For Elderly Or Infirm
- Events Allowed
- Pets Considered
Bedrooms: 15 Bedrooms, Sleeps 15, Beds for 15
- Egyptian cotton sheets, thickly padded mattress covers, hard and soft pillows. Also available are Hypoallergenic pillows and extra blankets. 3 king-size bedrooms, one with canopy bed. 5 twin-bedrooms can convert to 5 king-size bedrooms. 2 single bedrooms. 2 double-bedrooms. Baby/toddler bed available. Each room has individually adjustable Radiator, hard-wired Smoke Detector, wireless Internet connection. Antique Armoire in each room offers wood and padded hangers, shelves for clothing and shoes, plus comfortable Seating and Work area with reading light in all bedrooms (ex. no. 4 and 12). Bedside tables and lamps in all rooms. Period furnishings; each room is individually decorated. Handsome period curtains have black-out lining for a good night's sleep. All rooms have 1 or 2 large windows with view over park, pastures, woods. Ground-floor bedroom-bathroom suite is suitable for elderly or infirm person with easy access to living, dining rooms and kitchen....moreless
Bathrooms: 15 Bathrooms
- Thick cotton bath, extra-large sheet and hand towels, bath mitt and bath mat provided. Toilet paper provided. Hot water on demand from large water heater in basement, even when all bathrooms in use. Individually adjustable radiator allows you to warm your bathroom to your comfort. Hair dryers. White ceramic extra-wide tub, wide sink, toilet. Some bathrooms have grab bars for toilet, bath. Polished nickel accessories: soap/shampoo holder attached to tub wall; soap holder, 2 toothbrush holders, water glass and holder on sink backsplash; toilet-paper holder, extra roll holder, toilet brush holder, step-on trash can. Floor and lower half of walls tiled in honed ceramic, soft stone tones, decorative details. Large window lets in light, air, and views. All bedrooms have own en-suite bathroom....moreless
- INDOOR activities: billiards room with large stone fireplace, ping-pong table. Grand piano in drawing room. TV and DVD player, iPod player. Board games. OUTDOOR games: boules, croquet, badminton and volleyball. 6 new bicycles with saddlebags and child seats. Box stalls with running water for horses. New gas barbecue grill. 2 extra-large sun umbrellas, 2 teak tables seat 8 each, outdoor chairs and drinks tables, 20 transats (deck chairs). GROUNDS: Moat surrounds chateau. Park includes allées of mature trees, copses, streams and ponds. Also on grounds: ruins of original medieval chateau,16th-century Protestant Temple, one of the oldest surviving in France, a listed 'Monument historique'; intact 19th-century glacière (ice house), Orangerie, 17th-century farm buildings, spring house, stables, 2 funerary chapels. Farming operation features herd of registered Limousine cattle, fields of hay and cereals. Allée through fields links chateau to village church....moreless
- DVD Player
- Books - Fiction / Non-Fiction
- Books For Kids
- Game Room
- Games For Kids
- Video Library
- Ping Pong Table
- Pool Table
- Autumn Foliage
- Theme Parks
- Water Parks
- Botanical Garden
- Live Theatre
- Bird Watching
- Scenic Drives
- Horse Riding
- Sight Seeing
- Eco Tourism
local services and businesses
- Medical Services
- Laundrette - Serviced
sports and adventure activities
- Golf Pass Optional
- Equestrian Events
- Mountain Biking
- Freshwater Fishing
- Hunting Big Game
- Hunting Small Game
- Dining Room
- Wireless Internet
- Parking Off Street
- Toilet Paper
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Clothes Dryer
- Linens Provided
- Hair Dryer
- Laundry Soap
- Local Activities Guide
- Local Maps
- Paper Towels
- Iron & Board
- Living Room
- 4 Ring Stove
- Cooking Utensils
- Dishes & Utensils
- Coffee Maker
- Coffee Grinder
- Ice Maker
- Outdoor Grill Gas
- Deck Chairs
ReviewsWrite a review
Amazing Chateau With Everything You Need
Amazing Chateau With Everything You Need
The Chateau is an amazing, well-restored building that oozes charm. With the beautiful furnishings, plethora of books and even a stand of umbrellas at the front door it feels like a home, without the sterile feeling of a typical vacation rental or hotel. The caretakers were wonderful and helpful and the entire property is exceptional! The rooms are nicely restored and the en-suite bathrooms offer privacy for large get-togethers. I highly recommend it for your next stay.
- Guest Anonymous
- Date of stay 05/05/13
- Review Submitted 06/13/13
|Dates||Nightly||Wknd Night||Weekend||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
|My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
- Pet Fee: €5
- Cleaning fees: €300
- Refundable Damage Deposit: €1000
- Taxes Not included
100% refund if canceled at least 90 days before arrival date.
This manager accepts HomeAway payments.
Always use this free service to protect your payments up to $10,000 against fraud while keeping your financial information private. With HomeAway Payments, your credit card information is not seen by the owner or manager. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Call the owner to confirm booking request.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection, Carefree Rental Guarantee, and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
- Nearest Airport: Charles de Gaulle (Paris) at 165 Kilometres
- Nearest Ferry: Caen at 100 Kilometres
- Nearest Train: L'Aigle at 30 Kilometres
- Nearest Motorway: D932 and D3 at Moulins-la-Marche at 10 Kilometres
- Nearest Beach: Deauville at 100 Kilometres
- Nearest Barpub: Courtomer at 1 Kilometres
- Nearest Golf: Golf de Belleme, Belleme at 40 Kilometres
- Nearest Restaurant: Le bouche à oreille, Courtomer at 1 Kilometres
Year Purchased: 2005
About: We work for the owners of the chateau, a Franco-American family that undertook a major five-year renovation and restoration of the chateau in 2005. Our goal is to make you and your family feel welcomed and at-home at Chateau de Courtomer. We handle the bookings and we are your liaison with the chateau staff. Aude lives in France and is bi-lingual in French and English, and also speaks Russian. Beth is based in the U.S., but travels in France whenever she can find an excuse! She has been visiting and touring France regularly for over 30 years.
Like the owners of Chateau de Courtomer, we fell in love with the beauty and charm of this magnificent estate in Normandy. Chateau de Courtomer was constructed in the 11th century, completely rebuilt on the eve of the French Revolution in 1789, and remained continuously in the family of the Saint-Simon de Courtomer or their descendants until 1905. It has a long history as a majestic family home. The current owners use it in the same spirit of family, while respecting and maintaining its unique historic and historical character.
- Primary: +33 649128798 US direct-line phone
- Secondary: +33 6 49 12 87 98 French mobile
- Fax: +1 410 864-2522
Linden allee as you enter the grounds of the chateau
All bedrooms are unique and beautifully decorated.
King bedroom overlooks the park
Enjoy drinks, games, or a movie in the club room.
The cosy library with leather sofas
A festive table in the dining room.
Each double bedroom features a seating area
The back of the chateau looks out over the moat to pastures and hills
L'Orangerie can seat up to 50 guests.
Our bicycles are available for exploring the countryside.
L'art de vivre à la française!
The château overlooking bucolic Normandy
Singles, twins and king bedrooms available
Feel like a royalty in a magnificent four-poster bed
Comfortable elegance in the Grand Salon.
The majestic dining room.
The neoclassical face of the chateau is listed on the Monuments historiques register
The billiard room
The Orangerie on a beautiful sunny day.
Enjoying the sun on the great lawn.
15 Bedroom / 15 Bathroom
Get a rental quote, then book it!
US direct-line phone
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.