Mata'Zamo, Almost Africa, Bed & Barn, 900 Acres W/Trails. $250 a Night and up.(30 Reviews)
The manager has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:Yes
- Wheel chair accessible:No
About the Property
Wide open floor plan, secluded cliffside setting, upper deck & screened porch
We’ve been waiting over twenty years to buy Mata’zamo, and you’ll see why before you even get to the end of the 1.1 mile driveway!
Mata’zamo, Swahili for ‘ up high and far afield’ is completely surrounded by our ranch, is in our low-intensity use area, and close to some of our favorite trails and sunset spots. This means we have a place where you can truly get away from it all, surrounded by wildflower and grassy fields, perched on the edge of a cliff giving you a miles-wide vantage point over the edge of Texas Hill Country.
All to yourself!
We completely restored the house to make it energy efficient (spelled C-O-O-L in our Texas summers!) and added an upstairs deck that catches great cross breezes, overlooks the cliffs and faces west. A great place to watch sunsets, clouds and stars! At Mata’zamo you’ll find:
• A total of 1600 sq feet of living space (including the porches and decks) on two levels.
• Beds for 8 – 1 queen and 1 trundle bed (2 singles) upstairs, 2 sets of bunk beds downstairs.
• Dishes for 12, nicely equipped 'slow food' kitchen for cooking, preparing meals. We left out the microwave and dishwasher on purpose!
• An outdoor gas grill, with propane.
• Indoor and porch tables easily seat 4-6 people each.
• An open floor plan- there are only 4 inside doors, two to the bathrooms, 1 to the kid’s bedroom (w/ 4 bunk beds) and 1 to the screened-in porch.
• The upstairs (with the queen and trundle beds in the open loft) has a half-bath, opens onto the deck, looks out onto the downstairs living area, no doors!
• The full bath with walk in shower room has all of the closets (so no need to lug your bags upstairs!) and laundry room.
• We are pet and horse friendly. The adjacent 3 stall horse barn, 2 pens and a pasture are right out the door, along with miles of trails, but it’s bring your own horse! Well behaved and trained dogs that won’t harass the wildlife or livestock are welcome, there is no fenced in area for dogs.
• High speed internet is available, but we purposefully did not put any TVs in! We did include games and books about our local nature.
We welcome you in a way that feels like home away from home, you'll find familiar touches from your own kitchen, including tea, coffee, spices, paper towers, plastic bags - the basics, and maybe new things to try.
To encourage family time and taking it slow, there is no microwave or dishwasher!
One of our team members will meet you at our High Hope gathering area (near our main entrance), lead you to Mata’zamo, and get you oriented on our trail maps.
If you are bringing your horses, we’ll also match your horses to our trails so you’ll be safe and happy!
We doubt you’ll want to leave, but if you do, we have a detailed list of local restaurants, can help you set up tours at Fossil Rim, and have information on other local attractions (we wouldn’t want you to miss Fossil Rim, Dinosaur Valley State Park, Glen Rose’s new Riverwalk and Big Rocks Park, shopping the Square’s antique stores, galleries, clothing stores, weekend farmer’s market and pie shop (plan ahead and order gluten free!!!).
Our ranch has been managed organically and holistically for over twenty years, we keep our houses as non-toxic as possible, too.
It is easy to get lost at Mata’zamo, lost in thought, lost in time, lost from stress and the city life!
All of this and just 90 minutes south of the Dallas-Ft Worth area! We invite you to stay at Mata’zamo, it’s the best cure we know for nature deficit disorder!!!
NOTE: Please let us know how many adults, kids, dogs (and if they are crated or uncrated) will be with you, and if you'll be bringing horses, so we can send an accurate quote!!!! The quote will show the refundable security deposit, which will be billed separately if you would prefer. If you are still reading, please ask for the reader's discount!!!
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
Member since: 2012
- 1600 sq. ft.
- Max. occupancy 8
- Events Allowed
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters:
- Children Welcome:
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 8
- We have one small bedroom downstairs with two sets of bunkbeds (4 beds). Our roomy, upstairs loft master bedroom opens up onto the upper deck, and has a queen bed and a trundle bed that converts to two single beds. It has a half-bath. It is an open loft with no doors except into the half bath, and just the outside walls....moreless
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom, 2 Half Bathrooms
- Away From It All
- Recreation Center
- Winery Tours
Local Services & Businesses
- Fitness Center
- Massage Therapist
- Bird Watching
- Horseback Riding
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
Sports & Adventure Activities
There is a breakfast bar upstairs with 2 chairs (there are more chairs in the closets if you need them!) and a table for 6 on the screened in porch. There are extra stools for the kitchen table, too. ...moreless
- Dining Area
- Seating for 6 people
- Air Conditioning
- Clothes Dryer
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker:
- Dishes & Utensils
- Pantry Items:
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
Rates are based on 6 guests; add $20 per night, per additional guest
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $250
- Pet Fee $50 + tax
- Tax Rate 13%
We have three indoor stalls, two small pastures, two medium pastures, water and electricity at Mata'zamo for your horses and other hoofed stock you may travel with.
Manager's cancellation policy:
Policy available by contacting manager when booking
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Year Purchased: 2012
About: We have a team of people taking care or our guests! Three of us, who all live on the ranch, Krystyna, Chandler and Sandy, all have historical ties to Fossil Rim, which you will see reflected in the Fossil Rim and Africa inspired décor of Mata'zamo!
Why Glen Rose, TX, USA:
We bought this property because it was our last inholding, and is on one of the spots with the best views in Somervell County!
The Unique Benefits at this House:
You can sit on our upper deck and feel like you can see forever, or at least to Stephenville! Since it is at the end of the road, you have no neighbors. Unless you happen across another guest hiking a trail, chances are you won't see anyone else while you are here!
- Primary: 512-554-7421 My cell delivers voice mail at its own pace!
- Secondary: +1 2548984296 Land line! Indoor office, please leave a message!
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Living area. The windows behind couch face the cliff.
The kitchen and eating area,
A well equipped kitchen makes cooking together and staying on property a joy
The sitting area
All of the closets and the laundry room are in the downstairs bath!
Screened in porch, table has two leaves, two more chairs.
The upstairs Master Loft with queen bed and trundle (two single mattresses)
Half bath upstairs.
Mata'zamo from the parking area, the cliff is on the other side of the house....
St. Francis Grove, on the way to Mata'zamo
Two of our three stalls.
Our flock of Wild Turkeys, spotted on the way out the ranch! Always fun to see!
The kitchen and part of the dining table.
A fisheye view of downstairs living area, screened in porch on right.
Mini fisheye of bunk beds in the 'kid cave', door opens to kitchen & eating area
We want kids to feel at home!
Downstairs bath, indoor plumbing and all!!! ;-)
The upper deck, off the master loft, looking toward our highest point.
Trundle bed in open Master Loft. Kids think this is almost as cool as the bunks!
Horse barn and storage shed
Pictures still don't do the house or the view justice!
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to manager
Anonymously report this listing
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.