Charming, Vintage Beach Cottage, Water Views, Dock for Fishing/Crabbing(35 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Property type:Cottage
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
About the Property
Cottage sleeps 4-6, 2 bdrms, 3 full size beds, 1 full bath, one half bath
Our newly renovated beach cottage is located Down East, off Harker’s Island Road, in the Straits Community, near Gloucester and Smyrna, North Carolina. This charming cottage has beautiful water views off the dock, access to fishing, kayaking (kayaks provided) fishing with casting nets (provided), and even crabbing with crab pots (pots provided). Catch your own dinner off the dock. If you are seeking relaxation, a place to get away from it all, and privacy….this is your vacation rental. Cottage is decorated throughout with gorgeous antiques and duck decoys, many from local carvers.
All the comforts of home:
• Full size, fully stocked kitchen with glassware, pots, pans, dish ware, coffee maker, and cook books for cooking beach cuisine. Upon request, a steamer can be provided, fueled with propane gas, to cook large steamed meals outdoors for a small family gathering. Consider cooking a Beaufort Boil….we can provide the recipe and suggestions on local venders to access for your seafood requirements
• Dining area that comfortably seats 4-6
• Cottage sleeps 4-6 comfortably, has 2 bedrooms, 3 full size beds, one full bathroom, and one half bathroom. The cottage does not have a washer and dryer.
• Sit and relax on the front covered porch or back porch (for sunning), cooking out with grill, or simply relaxing in the sun.
• Cable / TV satellite access at the Cottage; there is a TV with DVD player downstairs, and a TV and DVD player upstairs. Just 4 miles away is a local Red Box. We also provide a collection of DVD’s for entertainment.
• Wireless Internet access is provided. We can also assist you with sending and receiving fax transmissions if needed.
• There is more than ample parking at the cottage for your family, friends, watercraft, and other needs, as the cottage is located on over 3 acres of land.
• Need your boat, golf cart, or ATV serviced or fixed while you are here…we can help…within 2 miles of our cottage you will find several local service providers.
• We provide Kayaks (2) for your use or you can rent kayaks in Beaufort, N.C. Put in at our dock and spend the day picnicking, sightseeing, fishing, and exploring the many Down East inlets.
• Gas Grill and, upon request, we can provide an extra large steamer, fueled by propane, for cooking all sorts of seafood. Fresh seafood is typically available roadside, as many local fisherman sell directly to the public from their own homes.
Where to go and what to do:
• Shackleford Banks. Take your own boat or a local ferry across to Shackleford Banks for swimming, fishing, shelling, sunning, and picnicking. Enjoy and be sure to photograph the infamous Shackleford Banks wild ponies which roam freely and can even been seen swimming in the water areas.
• Harker’s Island Bridge area. There are several marinas located close by, as well as a public boat ramp at the Harker’s Island Bridge, no further than 3 miles from our beach cottage, where you can launch your boat, jet ski, kayak, sail, or simply swim and fish in the water. Recently, fishing piers, which are open to the public at no charge, have been built at the Harker’s Island bridge, to make your fishing experience that much easier. Also check out the Decoy Carver's Guild to purchase decoys.
• Harker’s Island. It will take you mere minutes to get to Harker’s Island from the cottage. On the island are the Core Sound Waterfowl & Heritage Museum (ie: the “Decoy Museum” - a must see with an upstairs devoted to documenting and displaying heritage from many of our local communities), several seafood restaurants, Cape Lookout National Seashore, gift shops, a small grocery store, and bait and tackle shops. Harker’s Island hosts an annual Decoy Festival the first weekend in December which always draws a huge crowd.
• Exercise, Sports, Diving. The Smyrna recreational fields are located close by with walking paths, tennis, soccer, softball/baseball and basketball courts that are open to the public. A mere 1 mile from our cottage is the well-known Poseidon Dive facility. You can arrange for half-day or full-day dive trips to several of our local area wrecks.
• Beaufort, N.C. A short distance from the cottage, approximately 15 minutes, is the historic town of Beaufort – voted Coolest Small Town in America 2013! There you can enjoy dining at locally known restaurants such as Clawson’s, Aqua, Stillwater, and the Spouter’s Inn Restaurant. There is an abundance of shopping on the waterfront in Beaufort. You can take a sunset cruise, rent kayaks on the waterfront, and even rent a water taxi to take you to various locations nearby, including Cape Lookout Lighthouse, and Shackleford Banks. For the lover of history, the Old Burial Grounds, the Maritime Museum and Wooden Boat Building facility (part of the Maritime Museum) offer insight into the history and culture of this area.
• Morehead City, N.C. Morehead City is approximately 20 minutes away. On the waterfront you can find charter fishing boats for half-day, full-day trips and even sunset cruises. There is also shopping and some of the best local restaurants and bars (Beach Bums Pizzeria, Jack’s, The Sanitary Restaurant, Ruddy Duck…to name a few). To learn about the unique history of our area, make sure to visit The History Place (museum) on Arendell Street.
• Atlantic Beach, N.C. In Atlantic Beach, over the causeway, experience our beautiful Crystal Coast beaches! If you enjoy surf boarding, there is no better place to be! Also make time to visit the Civil War Era Fort Macon.
• Pine Knoll Shores, N.C. In Pine Knoll Shores experience the amazing N.C. Aquarium. If you prefer a quieter beach experience, Pine Knoll Shores has several public beach access areas. Sea turtles have been known to nest in this area.
• Cedar Island. Cedar Island is known for duck hunting, fishing, and the Cedar Island ferry which takes you to Okracoke Island. Cedar Island is approximately 20 miles from our cottage.
• Ocracoke Island, NC. Take the Cedar Island Ferry (20 miles from our cottage) to Ocracoke Island and spend the day visiting this community. The best way to enjoy Ocracoke is by renting a bicycle or golf cart on the island in order to access local shops, bars, and restaurants.
• Cape Carteret / Swansboro, N.C. Have children? MacDaddy’s in Cape Carteret/Swansboro is the place to go for bowling, go carts, batting cages, video games, wonderful food, and much more.
• Fishing. Depending on the time of year, you will find flounder, spanish, wahoo, cobia, blues, kings, trout, snapper, puppy drum, and mullet in abundance. There is also clamming and the local salty oysters are amazing. Catch your own fresh shrimp.
• Diving. There are numerous diving opportunities found in this area. The Crystal Coast is known as the “Graveyard of the Atlantic.” To access these wrecks, you can take your own boat or use one of many dive shops located throughout the county. Poseidon Dive facility is a mere 1 mile from our cottage. You can arrange for half-day or full-day dive trips to several of the local wrecks.
• Churches. There are churches of many denominations within a short drive from the cottage. Walk to and visit the historic Straits United Methodist Church, only 100 yards away. The church has weathered many a downeaster storm, and the beautiful historic architecture exists to this day and is worth seeing and enjoying at a Sunday Service with the friendly members from the Straits community.
• Entertainment. Our cottage is located in a very quiet area, but within a short drive of restaurants and bars in the town of Beaufort which provide local live music on weekends throughout the year. During the summer, there is nothing better than enjoying a meal on Front Street in Beaufort, and then going to the Beaufort Docks to listen to local musicians. Also enjoy walking along the Front Street Docks to see the many motor yachts and sport fishing boats that call Beaufort home, or who are visiting on their travels up and down the coast. There are also many specialty shops for those looking for a good deal, or for a memento of their travels to this area.
• Special events to consider when determining when to book your stay:
* February: There is a Down East Mardi Gras, featuring the Cajon Ziedeko band Unknown Tongues, in February of each year. You should visit their website for exact dates. This is something locals faithfully attend and something everyone should experience at least once. All food is prepared New Orleans style. Make sure to bring your costume and dress in Mardi Gras appropriate attire
* February. Need a perfect way to celebrate Valentine’s Day? In February, there is the infamous, and local, Chocolate Festival, in Morehead City, NC at the Civic Center. Nothing is more romantic and entertaining.
* September. The Pirate Invasion takes place in Beaufort, NC in September of each year. This is an outrageous, fun filled, weekend gathering. Bring your best pirate costume.
* October of each year – the infamous Seafood Festival takes place in Morehead City, N.C.
* Each Saturday, there is a local Farmer’s Market open to the public on the grounds of the Beaufort Courthouse. Purchase some local honey, vegetables, and/or crafts.
* In Emerald Isle there is an annual St. Patrick’s Day celebration.
* Each summer, there is the wooden boat building event in Beaufort, NC. It is a must see.
* December. The Decoy Festival takes place in Harker’s island and is the first weekend in December.
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Verify your payment method
Member since: 2013
- 1200 sq. ft.
- Max. occupancy 6
- Non Smoking Only:
Not Suitable For Children:
This property is elaborately furnished with antiques, including furniture and decoys. It is not suitable for young children. Older children, who would be able to enjoy kayaking, shrimping, and crabbing off the dock would be suitable for this property. ...moreless
- Pets Not Allowed:
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6, Beds for 6
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bathroom
- DVD Player:
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
Local Services & Businesses
- Fitness Center
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Horseback Riding
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Basketball Court
- Deepsea Fishing
- Jet Skiing
- Pier Fishing
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Surf Fishing
- Water Skiing
- Water Tubing
- Dining Area
- Seating for 6 people
- Iron & Board
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Deck / Patio:
- Kayak / Canoe:
- Lawn / Garden:
- Outdoor Grill:
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Feb 16 - May 15, 2017
2 night min stay
May 16 - Sep 15, 2017
2 night min stay
My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Deposit $200
- Cleaning fee $50
- Tax Rate 6.75%
Check in, 4:00 pm, check out -11:00 am
Holiday Weekends(Labor Day, Memorial Day, etc.) require 3 night rental
Security Deposit, REFUNDABLE if property left in good condition, $200
NO PETS ARE ALLOWED ON THE PROPERTY. NO EXCEPTIONS.
The property does not have a washer / dryer. For stays of longer than 7 nights, we will offer maid service (to include replacing sheets and towels). For stays greater than 2 wks, contact owner to discuss laundry service.
Owner's cancellation policy:
100% refund if canceled at least 90 days before arrival date.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
The Cottage is located on over 3 acres of secluded land, in the Straits Down East area. You will have your own private dock to fish off of, cast shrimping nets from, and catch crab for dinner. Casting nets, crab pots, kayaks all provided for you. If you want a peaceful, quiet, relaxing vacation location for your vacation...this is it. Sit on the front porch, relax and read a book (we have all the latest novels in the Cottage for your reading pleasure). Be sure to visit with our local cats 'Boots and Garfield' when you are on the porch. They will do anything for attention and our guests always comment on how affectionate they are. The cottage is furnished with antiques and has recently been remodeled completely throughout.
Year Purchased: 2011
About the owner: Bradley Schulz and Sundee Stephenson own a law firm in Beaufort, N.C., called Schulz Stephenson Law. Both are practicing attorneys. Their family consists of sons Trey and Blake, who are teenagers, and the family's labrador retrievers and cats.
Why the Owner Chose Beaufort, NC, USA:
We purchased the cottage as it is next door to our primary residence and is full of such character and so typical of local, Down East culture. We wanted a place for family and friends to stay when they visited. As such, we took care to furnish and decorate it so that it contained every convenience and luxury. We also furnished it so that it reflects the local culture of Down East, with emphasis on decoys, duck hunting, antiques, seafood, and relaxation........
The Unique Benefits at this Cottage:
The cottage sits on 3+ acres directly on Whitehurst Creek, a major tributary leading to The Straits, the body of water between the Straits community and Harker's Island. We have a large front porch which is perfect to sit on and relax and visit with family, and to enjoy the Straits community. Additionally, the back porch is perfect to sit and enjoy the sun. Leave the back porch and walk down to the dock, put the kayaks in the water, listen for the ducks, shorebirds and other wildlife, and enjoy this special area.........
- Primary: +1 252-723-3114
- Secondary: 252-723-3114
- Fax: +1 252-728-7102
Full front view of outside of cottage
Sitting area on front porch of cottage.
Dining room table, has insert to allow for seating for 6 comfortably
Bathroom marble vanity
Antique dresser in Master Bedroom
Antique furniture in upstairs half-bathroom
View from back porch of cottage showing 3+ acres of land and water views.
GORGEOUS water views from the dock! Shrimp & crab can be caught from the dock.
Sitting area on front porch of cottage
Living Room with working fireplace
Breakfast nook eating area in kitchen
Living room area, with gas log fireplace and 52' TV, cable, DVD player
Full Sized Canopy Master Bed in Master Bedroom
Upstairs Second Bedroom, with two, antique, matching, full sized beds
Upstairs furniture / reading area
Private dock on cottage property
Kayaks, crab pots, shrimp casting nets, life jackets all available to guests.
Crab pots for the dock..catch your own dinner! Rocking chairs on the back porch!
This listing was first published here in 2013.
Date last modified - Sunday, March 26, 2017
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.