About the property
- Cottage1200 sqft
- Half Baths1
- Minimum Stay2 nights
Cottage sleeps 4-6, 2 bdrms, 3 full size beds, 1 full bath, one half bath
Come stay with us for the Down East Mardi Gras (February), Romantic Valentine's Day, Chocolate Festival (February), Easter, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Fourth of July, Pirate Festival (September), Seafood Festival (October), Halloween, Thanksgiving, Harker's Island Decoy Festival (December), and Christmas Holidays.
Our newly renovated beach cottage is located Down East, off Harker’s Island Road, in the Straits Community, near Gloucester and Smyrna, North Carolina. This charming cottage has beautiful water views off the dock, access to fishing, kayaking (kayaks provided) fishing with casting nets (provided), and even crabbing with crab pots (pots provided). Catch your own dinner off the dock. If you are seeking relaxation, a place to get away from it all, and privacy….this is your vacation rental. Cottage is decorated throughout with gorgeous antiques and duck decoys, many from local carvers.
All the comforts of home:
• Full size, fully stocked kitchen with glassware, pots, pans, dish ware, coffee maker, and cook books for cooking beach cuisine. Upon request, a steamer can be provided, fueled with propane gas, to cook large steamed meals outdoors for a small family gathering. Consider cooking a Beaufort Boil….we can provide the recipe and suggestions on local venders to access for your seafood requirements
• Breakfast nook in kitchen
• Dining area that comfortably seats 4-6
• Cottage sleeps 4-6 comfortably, has 2 bedrooms, 3 full size beds, one full bathroom, and one half bathroom. The cottage does not have a washer and dryer.
• Sit and relax on the front covered porch or back porch (for sunning), cooking out with grill, or simply relaxing in the sun.
• Cable / TV satellite access at the Cottage; there is a TV with DVD player downstairs, and a TV and DVD player upstairs. Just 4 miles away is a local Red Box. We also provide a collection of DVD’s for entertainment.
• Wireless Internet access is provided. We can also assist you with sending and receiving fax transmissions if needed.
• There is more than ample parking at the cottage for your family, friends, watercraft, and other needs, as the cottage is located on over 3 acres of land.
• Need your boat, golf cart, or ATV serviced or fixed while you are here…we can help…within 2 miles of our cottage you will find several local service providers.
• We provide Kayaks (2) for your use or you can rent kayaks in Beaufort, N.C. Put in at our dock and spend the day picnicking, sightseeing, fishing, and exploring the many Down East inlets.
• Gas Grill and, upon request, we can provide an extra large steamer, fueled by propane, for cooking all sorts of seafood. Fresh seafood is typically available roadside, as many local fisherman sell directly to the public from their own homes.
Where to go and what to do:
• Shackleford Banks. Take your own boat or a local ferry across to Shackleford Banks for swimming, fishing, shelling, sunning, and picnicking. Enjoy and be sure to photograph the infamous Shackleford Banks wild ponies which roam freely and can even been seen swimming in the water areas.
• Harker’s Island Bridge area. There are several marinas located close by, as well as a public boat ramp at the Harker’s Island Bridge, no further than 3 miles from our beach cottage, where you can launch your boat, jet ski, kayak, sail, or simply swim and fish in the water. Recently, fishing piers, which are open to the public at no charge, have been built at the Harker’s Island bridge, to make your fishing experience that much easier. Also check out the Decoy Carver's Guild to purchase decoys.
• Harker’s Island. It will take you mere minutes to get to Harker’s Island from the cottage. On the island are the Core Sound Waterfowl & Heritage Museum (ie: the “Decoy Museum” - a must see with an upstairs devoted to documenting and displaying heritage from many of our local communities), several seafood restaurants, Cape Lookout National Seashore, gift shops, a small grocery store, and bait and tackle shops. Harker’s Island hosts an annual Decoy Festival the first weekend in December which always draws a huge crowd.
• Exercise, Sports, Diving. The Smyrna recreational fields are located close by with walking paths, tennis, soccer, softball/baseball and basketball courts that are open to the public. A mere 1 mile from our cottage is the well-known Poseidon Dive facility. You can arrange for half-day or full-day dive trips to several of our local area wrecks.
• Beaufort, N.C. A short distance from the cottage, approximately 15 minutes, is the historic town of Beaufort – voted Coolest Small Town in America 2013! There you can enjoy dining at locally known restaurants such as Clawson’s, Aqua, Stillwater, and the Spouter’s Inn Restaurant. There is an abundance of shopping on the waterfront in Beaufort. You can take a sunset cruise, rent kayaks on the waterfront, and even rent a water taxi to take you to various locations nearby, including Cape Lookout Lighthouse, and Shackleford Banks. For the lover of history, the Old Burial Grounds, the Maritime Museum and Wooden Boat Building facility (part of the Maritime Museum) offer insight into the history and culture of this area.
• Morehead City, N.C. Morehead City is approximately 20 minutes away. On the waterfront you can find charter fishing boats for half-day, full-day trips and even sunset cruises. There is also shopping and some of the best local restaurants and bars (Beach Bums Pizzeria, Jack’s, The Sanitary Restaurant, Ruddy Duck…to name a few). To learn about the unique history of our area, make sure to visit The History Place (museum) on Arendell Street.
• Atlantic Beach, N.C. In Atlantic Beach, over the causeway, experience our beautiful Crystal Coast beaches! If you enjoy surf boarding, there is no better place to be! Also make time to visit the Civil War Era Fort Macon.
• Pine Knoll Shores, N.C. In Pine Knoll Shores experience the amazing N.C. Aquarium. If you prefer a quieter beach experience, Pine Knoll Shores has several public beach access areas. Sea turtles have been known to nest in this area.
• Cedar Island. Cedar Island is known for duck hunting, fishing, and the Cedar Island ferry which takes you to Okracoke Island. Cedar Island is approximately 20 miles from our cottage.
• Ocracoke Island, NC. Take the Cedar Island Ferry (20 miles from our cottage) to Ocracoke Island and spend the day visiting this community. The best way to enjoy Ocracoke is by renting a bicycle or golf cart on the island in order to access local shops, bars, and restaurants.
• Cape Carteret / Swansboro, N.C. Have children? MacDaddy’s in Cape Carteret/Swansboro is the place to go for bowling, go carts, batting cages, video games, wonderful food, and much more.
• Fishing. Depending on the time of year, you will find flounder, spanish, wahoo, cobia, blues, kings, trout, snapper, puppy drum, and mullet in abundance. There is also clamming and the local salty oysters are amazing. Catch your own fresh shrimp.
• Diving. There are numerous diving opportunities found in this area. The Crystal Coast is known as the “Graveyard of the Atlantic.” To access these wrecks, you can take your own boat or use one of many dive shops located throughout the county. Poseidon Dive facility is a mere 1 mile from our cottage. You can arrange for half-day or full-day dive trips to several of the local wrecks.
• Churches. There are churches of many denominations within a short drive from the cottage. Walk to and visit the historic Straits United Methodist Church, only 100 yards away. The church has weathered many a downeaster storm, and the beautiful historic architecture exists to this day and is worth seeing and enjoying at a Sunday Service with the friendly members from the Straits community.
• Entertainment. Our cottage is located in a very quiet area, but within a short drive of restaurants and bars in the town of Beaufort which provide local live music on weekends throughout the year. During the summer, there is nothing better than enjoying a meal on Front Street in Beaufort, and then going to the Beaufort Docks to listen to local musicians. Also enjoy walking along the Front Street Docks to see the many motor yachts and sport fishing boats that call Beaufort home, or who are visiting on their travels up and down the coast. There are also many specialty shops for those looking for a good deal, or for a memento of their travels to this area.
• Special events to consider when determining when to book your stay:
* February: There is a Down East Mardi Gras, featuring the Cajon Ziedeko band Unknown Tongues, in February of each year. You should visit their website for exact dates. This is something locals faithfully attend and something everyone should experience at least once. All food is prepared New Orleans style. Make sure to bring your costume and dress in Mardi Gras appropriate attire
* February. Need a perfect way to celebrate Valentine’s Day? In February, there is the infamous, and local, Chocolate Festival, in Morehead City, NC at the Civic Center. Nothing is more romantic and entertaining.
* September. The Pirate Invasion takes place in Beaufort, NC in September of each year. This is an outrageous, fun filled, weekend gathering. Bring your best pirate costume.
* October of each year – the infamous Seafood Festival takes place in Morehead City, N.C.
* Each Saturday, there is a local Farmer’s Market open to the public on the grounds of the Beaufort Courthouse. Purchase some local honey, vegetables, and/or crafts.
* In Emerald Isle there is an annual St. Patrick’s Day celebration.
* Each summer, there is the wooden boat building event in Beaufort, NC. It is a must see.
* December. The Decoy Festival takes place in Harker’s island and is the first weekend in December.
Sundee Stephenson and Bradley Schulz
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- Calendar last updated:
- Apr 21, 2018
About Sundee Stephenson and Bradley Schulz
Bradley Schulz and Sundee Stephenson own a law firm in Beaufort, N.C., called Schulz Stephenson Law. Both are practicing attorneys. Their family consists of sons Trey and Blake, who are teenagers, and the family's labrador retrievers and cats.
Sundee Stephenson and Bradley Schulz purchased this Cottage in 2011
Why Sundee Stephenson and Bradley Schulz chose Straits
We purchased the cottage as it is next door to our primary residence and is full of such character and so typical of local, Down East culture. We wanted a place for family and friends to stay when they visited. As such, we took care to furnish and decorate it so that it contained every convenience and luxury. We also furnished it so that it reflects the local culture of Down East, with emphasis on decoys, duck hunting, antiques, seafood, and relaxation........
What makes this Cottage unique
The cottage sits on 3+ acres directly on Whitehurst Creek, a major tributary leading to The Straits, the body of water between the Straits community and Harker's Island. We have a large front porch which is perfect to sit on and relax and visit with family, and to enjoy the Straits community. Additionally, the back porch is perfect to sit and enjoy the sun. Leave the back porch and walk down to the dock, put the kayaks in the water, listen for the ducks, shorebirds and other wildlife, and enjoy this special area.........
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Not happy with the stay!
The home was fine, they do have flooring issues that will need to be addressed in the near future. Renters beware the homeowners will know exactly what you are doing in the home, how many people are there and they will possibly go in when you are gone!
It is always disappointing when renters are not appreciative of your property and your kindness. When these individuals booked the cottage they advised in the rental agreement that they would only have 2 individuals staying. They arrived with 4. We briefly discussed the situation with them, and allowed all 4 to stay, and did not charge them any additional fees. At the time, the renters apologized for their oversight, expressed how happy they were with the accommodations and being able to have 2 extra people in the cottage. The only other contact we had with these individuals during their stay was when they locked themselves out and we had to give them an extra key so they could re-enter the cottage. Our policy is to never enter the cottage when it is rented, unless the renter requests assistance with something. The pictures of the cottage show the beautiful white oak and mahogany flooring throughout. There are no flooring issues. Please look at our many positive reviews of the property. Sundee and Bradley
From the moment we drove down the driveway and saw the dock leading to the water we fell in love. The house is charming and comfortable with just about everything we needed. The location was perfect, close to where we wanted to visit while away from crowds!
The friendly cats were a bonus! We can't wait to visit again.
We are so glad that you and your family had a great stay. The dock is a great place to hang out, and in the summer, the shrimp and crabs are usually plentiful. Please come back and stay again. We really enjoy repeat guests. Brad & Sundee
Another Great Stay
This was our second trip to this cottage in less than 2 months. Again it did not disappoint and we had a great time. It is hard to be the location of this home and we look forward to renting it again in the future.
Thank you again for visiting a second time. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and will look forward to seeing you all in the future.
We love repeat guests. Brad & Sundee
Awesome weekend getaway!
It was an awesome cottage ...we loved it and will definitely be back for a visit soon. Very peaceful and relaxing.
Thank you all for your very nice review. We hope that you will be able to come back soon !!
Brad & Sundee
We enjoyed our short visit at the cottage! Having two bedrooms was perfect for our family. The location was perfect for our visit to Cape Lookout. I wish we could have stayed longer!
We are so glad that you had a wonderful time at the cottage. We hope that you will be able to come again in the future !!
Brad & Sundee
My wife and I really enjoyed our long weekend at this cottage on the marsh. It is hard to beat the views off of the marsh in the mornings and evenings. I would highly recommend this home for someone looking for an escape from the hustle and bustle. The home is located 20-25 minutes from Beaufort and just slightly longer to MHC, so there are plenty of restaurants and shopping opportunities close by. Those distances are just far enough to allow the visitor to experience the DownEast culture of the region. We would definitely book this home again.
Thank you for such a positive review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your vacation and the cottage. Also glad that you all have decided to come back for your second visit this summer. Plenty of shrimp and crabs being caught now. Enjoy !!
Sundee and Bradley
The Cottage is located on over 3 acres of secluded land, in the Straits Down East area. You will have your own private dock to fish off of, cast shrimping nets from, and catch crab for dinner. Casting nets, crab pots, kayaks all provided for you. If you want a peaceful, quiet, relaxing vacation location for your vacation...this is it. Sit on the front porch, relax and read a book (we have all the latest novels in the Cottage for your reading pleasure). Be sure to visit with our local cats 'Boots and Garfield' when you are on the porch. They will do anything for attention and our guests always comment on how affectionate they are. The cottage is furnished with antiques and has recently been remodeled completely throughout.
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
Check in, 4:00 pm, check out -11:00 am Holiday Weekends(Labor Day, Memorial Day, etc.) require 3 night rental Security Deposit, REFUNDABLE if property left in good condition, $200 NO PETS ARE ALLOWED ON THE PROPERTY. NO EXCEPTIONS. The property does not have a washer / dryer. For stays of longer than 7 nights, we will offer maid service (to include replacing sheets and towels). For stays greater than 2 wks, contact owner to discuss laundry service.