Waterfront, 2-5+ Bdrms, 4 Sunset Decks, Lg Walled Garden, Dock(21 Reviews)
The owner has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:2 nights
- Property type:Villa
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:N/A
About the Property
House, 5 Bedrooms + Large Sitting Rm/Bedroom/office, 5+ Baths, (Sleeps 16 max.
If you would like to add any or all of the three additional suites (attached to house, but with separate entrances), I will send you an accurate quote based on the information you provide. Rest assured that our house is only rented to ONE group at a time (even if the other rooms remain unused).
Choose the amount of the house you need and only pay for that portion; you will STILL have the entire property to yourself. $450/night is the minimum rate per night rate for the MAIN house only during low season (2 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms; sleeps 6 max.). Note - there is a minimum 2 night stay to book.
The maximum rate would be $933/night for the entire house (5 bedrooms PLUS sitting room/bedroom/kitchenette in Upstairs Master Suite; 5 full bathrooms + Outdoor shower) for the minimum 2 night stay during high season and the maximum number of guests (16). NOTE: DISCOUNTS are given for full week stay, low season and 4 week stay or longer. THANKS!
- 180° Sunset Harbour Views (sunsets can last up to 1 1/2 hours from pre-sunset to last color in the sky; during this time, the colors may change from orange, to pink, to lavender. You just can't appreciate this any better than from our spot on the harbour!
- Private Dock - for dinghy or rented Boston Whaler. Please note that our dock CANNOT accommodate a boat larger than a Boston Whaler or small dinghy; we do not dredge around our dock, so it has minimal water at low tide. Most people who have boats dock them at one of the several marinas on the island.
- Maid service every third day during the rental period. Additional maid service may be contracted and paid for separately if desired (through optional concierge). Reasonable post-rental clean up is already INCLUDED in rental rate.
- Large and private, fully walled/ fenced garden with hammock, BBQ pit, colorful and fragrant flora. Garden is lit for romantic night time feel. There is even a tiled OUTDOOR SHOWER with hot and cold water!
- Automatic backup generator
- Only rented to one group at a time
- Bedrooms may be configured for 5 couples - 4 w/ Kings, 1 w/ Queen; Or for 3 families with 2 rooms (w/ 4 beds per room) for kids and 3 rooms for parents (2 w/Kings & 1 w/ Queen; PLUS the sitting room/bedroom/kitchenette attached to the Upstairs Master Bedroom has a daybed/twin bed and and a roll-out trundle bed/ twin bed for additional children or adults!)
- Impressive Water Views from 3 of the 5 Bedrooms, living room, kitchen and the upstairs sitting room, bedroom, master balcony and sundeck! No need to climb to a precariously perched sundeck to enjoy the amazing view!
- BEACH MEMBERSHIP - Who wants to carry chairs and umbrellas to the beach every day? Our BEACH MEMBERSHIP provides 6 chairs and 3 umbrellas all set up and waiting for you in a manicured and convenient spot right between the two most popular resorts on the island (FREE to Blue Dolphin guests; additional chairs and umbrellas may be rented for a nominal daily fee).
- WEDDING Venue - Great location for an intimate wedding
- Cooking services may be contracted and paid for separately through an optional concierge.
- Contracting Renter must be age 25 or older and must stay on property for the duration of the rental period.
You'll know you're 'not in Kansas anymore' in this charming waterfront Cape Cod style home on beautiful and historic Bay Street. The serenity and beauty of the Blue Dolphin and it's property make it a perennial favorite for photo shoots of catalogs (including Chicos (spring 2015), Island Company 2007) and magazine/ newspaper articles from Vogue April 1999 to the Wall Street Journal April 23-24, 2011 D10.
The home is ideal for large family gatherings or for couples who want the flexibility of a large house when family or friends are visiting and a cozy cottage when they are alone. The main house on the ground floor sleeps six and includes two bedrooms and two full baths. It may be rented by itself or guests may choose to add up to three additional bedrooms and bathrooms in incremental prices as needed. THE BLUE DOLPHIN WILL ONLY BE RENTED TO ONE GROUP AT A TIME.
The fabulous 180 degree harbour view climaxes each evening with colorful and lengthy sunsets which may be enjoyed from any one of four porches (front patio; side bedroom covered porch, upstairs sun deck and private master bedroom balcony).
The Blue Dolphin has its own dock right out in front for your dinghy or rented Boston Whaler. The house also has a large and lovely lighted backyard garden filled with beautiful hibiscus, fragrant jasmine, colorful allamanda flowers, a hammock calling your name, as well as a rustic, but very functional (and fun) barbecue pit.
Harbour Island was rated #1 in the region of the Caribbean, the Bahamas and Bermuda by Travel & Leisure in 2005 "Best Of" issue and AGAIN in 2015! The BEACH has been rated one of the 10 best in the World by Condé Nast magazine and was #1 on the Travel Channel's "10 Best Beaches in the Caribbean" 2003 episode. The water in the harbour and at the beach is crystal clear azure, so inviting.
The Blue Dolphin is conveniently located only steps away from shops, restaurants and a short walk or even shorter golf cart ride (preferred mode of island travel) to the famous three mile PINK SAND BEACH.
Enjoy the best of both worlds by spending your days at the beach and your mornings and evenings on the scenic and tranquil harbour.
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
Member since: 2007
- 2400 sq. ft.
- Max. occupancy 16
- Events Allowed
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters:
- Children Welcome
- Vacation Rental
- Catering Available
- Breakfast - Booking Possible
- Lunch - Booking Possible
- Dinner - Booking Possible
- Housekeeper Included
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Limited Accessibility
Bedrooms: 5 Bedrooms, Sleeps 16, Beds for 16
- Five Bedrooms plus sitting room/office which has daybed and roll-out trundle bed. Bedrooms may all be set up for couples (4 with king beds and 1 queen) or two of the bedrooms may be set up to each sleep 4 children. Three of the bedrooms and the office/sitting room have lovely harbour views. The upstairs master bedroom has a private balcony overlooking the harbour. The side adjacent bedroom has its own porch overlooking the harbour....moreless
Bathrooms: 5 Bathrooms
- - Automatic back-up generator, - Ten minute walk or two minute golf cart ride to the Beach, - Maid service every third day is included in rental price, as well as post-rental maid service; additional service may be contracted and paid for separately if desired through an optional concierge. - Three of the 5 bedrooms (as well as most of the house and porches/decks/patios have waterfront views) - Another unique feature of the Blue Dolphin is that it may be rented in segments with main house (2 bedrooms/ 2 baths) as a minimum for savings, - 10% discount for off season and 10% discount for long-term (monthly) rental - Cook may need to be contracted and paid for separately through optional concierge. - Additional Blue Dolphin amenities include a fully fenced yard, hairdryer in every bathroom, tiled outdoor shower (with hot & cold water) and a clothes line...moreless
- Pool Table:
- Satellite / Cable:
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Health/Beauty Spa
Local Services & Businesses
- Fitness Center
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Horseback Riding
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Wildlife Viewing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Basketball Court
- Deepsea Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Jet Skiing
- Pier Fishing
- Scuba Diving Or Snorkeling
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Surf Fishing
- Water Skiing
- Dining Area
- Seating for 16 people
- Air Conditioning:
- Broadband Access
- Clothes Dryer:
- Free Long Distance:
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided:
- Living Room:
- Towels Provided:
- Washing Machine:
- Wireless Internet:
- Pantry Items:
Deck / Patio:
Four porches on front of house, all overlook harbour. Two are on the ground floor (one covered). Sundeck upstairs overlooks Harbour as does private master bedroom balcony. Covered dining porch to rear of house on the ground floor overlooks large landscaped/lighted tropical garden....moreless
There is NO golf on Harbour Is., but we hear that a course is under consideration for the north end of the neighboring island of Eleuthera . . . cross your fingers, but don't hold your breath!...moreless
- Kayak / Canoe:
- Lawn / Garden:
- Outdoor Grill:
- Water Sports Gear:
Pool / Spa
- Communal Pool:
- Housekeeper Included
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
High Season - see Notes
Dec 16 - Apr 30, 2017
2 night min stay
Low Season - see Notes
May 1 - Dec 15, 2017
2 night min stay
My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $500
- Taxes Not included
$500/nt rate is for MAIN HOUSE only (2Br, 2Ba) <1wk
Rates: $3000 - $5000/wk for up to 10 guests (add'l guests up to max. of 16 at $100/per./wk per add'l guest); rate depends upon total rooms being used. Email for quote
Less than 1 wk rental rate is 1/6 weekly rate per night (6 nights is the same price as 7); 2 night minimum.
10% discount for low season
10% discount for 4 week rental or longer
Pay refundable $500 Security/Damage Deposit at reservation confirmation as well as 1/2 the Total Rental Rate and the remaining Rental Rate no later than 90 days prior to check-in.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Should you wish to cancel a confirmed reservation, notice of cancellation MUST BE IN WRITING AND RECEIVED MORE THAN 90 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR CHECK-IN DATE. We will refund the sums you have paid, less a $150.00 cancellation fee. If your notice of cancellation is RECEIVED LESS THAN 90 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR CHECK-IN DATE, you will forfeit all sums paid, except your security/damage deposit, unless we are able to re-rent the property to someone else, at the same rate, for the same period of time. If the property is rented, we will only charge the $150.00 cancellation fee.
Owner's cancellation policy:
Policy available by contacting owner when booking
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
Car: Not Necessary
Have your nails done or get a facial at a local salon. A massage therapist can work out all those kinks either in the salon or in the privacy of the Blue Dolphin.
Year Purchased: 1991
About the owner: Here is a family picture of the Pratts at their vacation home the 'Blue Dolphin' on Harbour Island in the Bahamas. Jamie and Kathy are the parents and the 'boys' are Jason (& Jason's wife Aleksandrina), Ryan and Dylan (& Dylan's fiancée Shelby and son Oliver). Jamie (James) is a distinguished full Professor at the Indiana University, Kelley School of Business in Bloomington, IN. Kathy is a former CPA, homemaker and community volunteer.
Why the Owner Chose Dunmore Town, Bahamas:
Jamie has been going to Harbour Island since 1961 when his Grandfather 'discovered' it and began spending every winter there. Jamie travelled down with his family at Christmas time most every year; they would stay in various rental houses - usually on the Coral Sands property. He made friends with many local Bahamian boys - he is still friends with them 50 years later. His grandfather called 'Colonel Pratt' supported the islanders by assisting them in the purchase of fishing boats, etc. Colonel Pratt held a Christmas party each year for the island children and gave them each a schilling (English currency at the time) and lots of candy; Jamie and the other grandchildren helped with the party and enjoyed it as much as the islanders. Kathy began going to the island when she started dating Jamie in college and fell in love with it (and him) right away! They married and moved to Seattle, Washington. It was a long trip to Harbour, but they visited as often as possible. When they eventually moved back to the midwest, they decided to 'take the plunge' and invest in the island - they have not been sorry! The 'boys' have been going since birth (some of them in-utero). They all love it and hope you will too!
The Unique Benefits at this Villa:
The benefits of staying at the Blue Dolphin include Jamie's special love of gardening which shows in the beautiful and fragrant gardens that surround the house and Kathy's attention to detail within the house itself. Check the vrbo site for all the amenities - a long list. Jamie and Kathy tried to take the best ideas from the many rental homes they have stayed in over the years and incorporate them into their own property while adding a few things they wished they'd had at some of those homes. Kathy remembers hanging clothes on the line when owners either did not have or would not let the renters use the dryer - not at the Blue Dolphin; a full size washer and dryer are available. For those guests who really do like the fresh air scent of clothes dried on the line, there is a clothes line available as well. WiFi is available for guests who want to stay in touch while lounging on the front patio or back by the fire-pit, etc. Kathy and Jamie have always preferred the harbour - sunset side of the island, but they know that the world-famous pink sand beach on the sunrise side is a major attribute of the island as well. So, they have arranged a beach membership to provide 6 beach lounge chairs and 3 shade umbrellas all set up and waiting on a daily basis right between the two most popular resorts on the beach for no extra charge for Blue Dolphin guests. Additional chairs and umbrellas may be utilized for a nominal daily charge. What are you waiting for!
- Primary: +1 (812) 961-8293
Links to more information:
Blue Dolphin - with dock, 180 degree Harbour, Sunset view.
Our beach spot on Briland . . . right between Pink Sands & Coral Sands resorts!
Living Rm complete with board games, WIFI, view of Harbour/Sunset & Garden
Garden Bdrm - bunk beds and twins that may be made up as a king. Adj. full bath
Relax in the garden hammock among colorful Hibiscus & fragrant Jasmine. Barbecue
Side Bedrm; Queen bed; 3/4 bath (shower, sink, toilet); water VIEW; priv. porch.
Stairway to Sundeck, Upstairs Master Bedroom & Upstairs Garden Bedroom
Sitting Rm/ office with daybed & trundle; Kitchenette - mini fridge, coffee mkr
Upstrs garden Bdrm - 4 twins or 2 may be made up as king. Walk-in closet, Lg BA
Briland is a popular destination for movie stars and pro athletes! (Peyton M.)
Here comes the Bride (down the stairs of the Blue Dolphin)
This sunset view from the house includes the Blue Dolphin Dock
View of backyard of Blue Dolphin. Complete with beautiful and fragrant flora.
Main floor Master Bedroom - King size bed, Harbour View, ensuite full bath
Kitchen - incl. refrigerator, stove, oven, microwave, dishwasher, washer & dryer
Rustic BBQ is grouper ready
Blue Dolphin sundeck at sunset . . . you gotta be there!
Upstrs mastr Bdrm: priv. balcony, Full BA w/ dbl sinks, walk-in closet, Fab View
Fine dining . . . Lobster at the Rock House. Just one of MANY options.
Setting up for the wedding in the garden of the Blue Dolphin. June, 2012
Wedding party on the Blue Dolphin Dock. June, 2012
This listing was first published here in 2007.
Date last modified - Saturday, April 29, 2017
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to owner
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.