About the property
- House3400 sqft
- Half Baths1
- Minimum Stay3 nights
House, 3 Bedrooms + Sunroom, 2.5 Baths, (Sleeps 6)
From the moment you see the Rio Grande River from our Great Room you know that your Rio Grande Retreat experience will be very special. Our house is located just 20 minutes south of Taos in the village of Rinconada situated in the heart of northern New Mexico, between Taos and Santa Fe, right on the banks of the Rio Grande River. Whether you visit in the spring when thousands of flowers are in bloom, the summer when our orchard is producing a variety of delicious fruit, the fall when giant cottonwoods are ablaze with color, or the winter with the opportunity to ski at five different ski areas within an hour's travel time, all four seasons will be memorable.
With over three acres of grounds, your Rio Grande Retreat provides all the privacy you will ever desire. The ample and well-maintained gardens and fruit orchards enhance the natural beauty of the red sandstone vistas to the south and the fertile tree-lined banks of the Rio Grande River to the north.
Welcome to our 3400-square-foot, authentic, New Mexico, territorial-style home! It is ideal for a romantic getaway for two and comfortably accommodates six people in our three plus one bedrooms. Your Rinconada Retreat experience begins in the exterior courtyard with an outdoor sofa and chairs. It is the perfect place for sun-filled conversations or bird watching!
Great Room: The 900-square-foot great room with vaulted ceilings will most likely be the focal point of your indoor activities. An oversized leather sofa plus a reclining loveseat face the rosewood armoire that holds a 36-inch TV. We have Direct TV with over 100 -channels. Another area of the great room features a large, natural gas, kiva fireplace.
Kitchen: Our extra-large kitchen is part of the great room and is fully equipped with Jenn-air gas stove, side-by-side refrigerator/freezer with chilled water and dishwasher. There is a microwave, coffee maker, and toaster oven, as well as fun extras such as a Belgium waffle maker and a fruit juicer. A teak kitchen table and chairs provide for informal dining or playing cards.
Dining Room: The separate dining room has the ambiance of a historic Mexican hacienda with a fabulous nine-foot long mesquite table made from an antique Mexican door and surrounded by six hand-crafted, wood and leather chairs. A rustic sofa table adorned with authentic Mexican retablos and a beautifully laid brick floor with radiant heating complete the historic mood of this distinctive room.
Three Bedrooms: The huge master bedroom has an en suite bathroom, and soothing views of the Rio Grande River. Two of our bedrooms have king-sized beds and one has twin beds. Each room has luxurious linens and southwestern-style furniture.
Bathrooms: There are three bathrooms - two full and one powder room. The master bathroom has two Mexican sinks, extra-tall counters, and a walk-in shower.
Studio: You can use the studio/workshop to create the art or craft projects that New Mexico always inspires. Or, you can use the space for extra sleeping.
Hot Tub: Watch the Rio Grande while relaxing in a large, Hot Springs hot tub that sits in the screened-in porch just off the great room.
Extras: Hair dryers, washer/dryer, dishwasher, iron, ironing board, and first-aid kit.
* Rio Grande River - Our home has a large, private, river-front area (it changes with each rain). Imagine fishing for trout on your own secluded beach!
* Gazebo - Enjoy outdoor dining on the river's edge in the kiva-style gazebo with large picnic table.
* Firepit - The firepit is down by the river and has an electric rotisserie spit that is wonderful for barbecuing or smoking meat. Chairs and sitting logs provide plenty of comfort for night time camp fires with an unparalleled view of the brightest star-scape in the United States.
* Orchard - The orchard features three kinds of apples, two types of pears, peaches, apricots, nectarines, and two types of walnuts, and table grapes. You are invited to pick some fruit for your use while staying at the retreat.
* It is all about art (and shopping) - You are just 50 minutes from Santa Fe's world-famous art galleries, museums, shopping, and gourmet or casual restaurants. Santa Fe is third worldwide for art sales, behind only New York and London. Taos, just 20 minutes away, also has top-notch art galleries, with a more laid-back environment.
* Dining - We can recommend some restaurants for unforgettable dining experiences.
* Hiking - Hiking opportunities abound right out the front door with BLM lands bordering two sides of the property. Additionally, the spectacular Rio Grande Gorge (and latest National Monument, Rio Grande Norte) is situated several miles to the north and has a number of well-maintained hiking trails.
* Skiing - Taos, Santa Fe, Sipapu, Angel Fire, and Pajarito.
* Fishing - Just walk out the backdoor and cast away!
* Gambling - Enjoy gambling? Several, mid-sized, well-appointed casinos can be found within a half-hours drive.
* Golfing - There are a number of excellent golf courses within a 45-minute drive.
* Studio Tours - Northern New Mexico is famous for its studio tours at which you can visit the studios of local artists, and, if inclined, buy their unique pieces. Besides Rinconada which has a number of galleries, two of the best studio tour events are in our neighboring communities of Pilar and Dixon.
* Exploring - Albuquerque is Georgia O'Keefe country, Chimayo is home to the world-class Ortega weaving studio, Chimayo's church was made famous by Ansel Adams and has sacred dirt, believed to help heal illness and injuries.
* Rafting - Rafting is available from a number of nearby well-established outfitters.
No pets or smoking please.
So, indoors or out, we have everything you need for an unforgettable vacation in the Land of Enchantment.
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- Calendar last updated:
- May 17, 2018
Pool / Spa
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 3:30 PM
Check-out: 10:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 30 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
Great peaceful location
The house itself is very comfortable and right on the river. Our kids really enjoyed playing in the river with their sand toys and we all enjoyed building a fire and roasting marshmallows. The house came stocked with fire wood for the fire and had an outside grill as well. We did some easy rafting (class 3 and lower but may be higher depending on water level) which was only 6 miles up from the house and horse back riding also only about 6 miles up from the house. Taos is only a 30 minute drive which had great shopping. We also went to Bandelier National Monument which I really recommend. It is an hour drive but worthwhile. There are also some hikes close to the house. I thought Spring was a fantastic time to come with it being warm but not hot. I feel like a 4pm checkin and 10am check out are a little late and early but it is a bigger house and does take some time to clean (maybe a 2 person cleaning team could help with that). The house comes well stocked with everything you may need for the kitchen as well as sugar and spices. They also had some tea and coffee which was nice. Overall a great stay and highly recommended.
Thanks Edyta for your very kind review. So glad to hear that you had a great stay and were able to participate in so many activities and sights that the local area provides. Most of the time we are able to accommodate earlier check-ins and later check-outs when we do not have guests arriving and departing on the same days, but your suggestion to have a 2- person cleaning team on such days is a good one. I'll see if I can arrange that in the future.
Hope you return in the future!
Amazing property. A true gem
Photos do not do justice to this place. Very homey.had all the amenities of home to entertain and just chill. Will deffinatly be coming back!!
Hi Linda: Thank you so much for the positive review. We have many repeat guests and I'm very happy you will return!
Beautiful home and location
We had a lovely and relaxing stay. The home is beautiful and well stocked. Chris was very helpful. I would highly recommend this property!!
Dear Patrice; Thanks for taking the time to write a review on our Rinconada Rio Grande Retreat. We agree that the setting of our home on the Rio Grande River is a beautiful setting that makes for a relaxing visit. Hope you are able to return in the future!
Chris and Marion Herald
Gorgeous and peaceful!!
Loved sitting by river and reading. And taking walks along Kit Carson trail nearby. Neighbors all nice too. Made friends with neighbors dog Kipling. Lots to do in Sante Fe and Taos. Cute grocery in Dixon with lots organic and good choices. Went to market days in Taos Saturday and got some yummy veggies.
Fife: Thanks so much for the kind review. Sounds like you enjoy many of the same things we do - sitting by the beautiful Rio Grande river, hiking locally and visiting Taos and Santa Fe.
Great family vacation spot
We are a family of 6. Our kids are 8-14. Every one of our kids loved our trip. The drive from Dallas/fw was not bad at all. We took some fishing gear and bathing suits. It rained a few days, so the riverbank and arroyo changed daily. It made it nice because there was something new to wake up to everyday. Our kids used rocks to build dams, swam in the water, caught fish, searched for animal tracks, enjoyed the fire pit, and used the hot tub every night before bed. We took a few day trips including: santa fe, red river, and Taos. They are all close enough for day trips without exhausting the kids. The next time we come we will try the water sports just up the road. The house was immaculate. This is really important to me when traveling (germaphobe). We met the housekeeper and groundskeeper. They were both so sweet, helpful, and friendly. We were a little concerned about the sleeping arrangements because we have 3 girls and one boy. We were not sure where the boy would sleep ( he doesn't like to share a room with girls). There is an bonus room ( not pictured) with a Murphy bed. It was the perfect rustic area for him! I am a picky traveler and there is not one thing I would have changed. Thank you for sharing your home and we will be returning!!! One thing travelers should know: the pictures listed here do NOT do it justice. It's beautiful.
Nat: Thanks for the kind review. Although our home is rented by a wide variety of guest groups - families, friends and couples, I always enjoy hearing how much fun the kids have at our house. They just love exploring the local area, playing in the river, searching for rocks in the dry arroyo, and interesting hikes in all directions from the house. During our ten+ years of renting our house on VRBO, we had two different repeat family groups that relayed the same story. The parents gave their kids the choice of going to Disney World or back to our Rinconada Rio Grande Retreat, and they chose Rinconada!! I find that amazing in this day and age, but it gives us great joy to help provide such a special experience to the youngsters. Thanks again Nat for your review.
So relaxing and close to the river!
We loved everything about your property! It was spacious, close to the river and had everything we needed. Our family of 6 had a fantastic time. Thank you for thinking of everything!
Thanks Brittany for your kind review. We are always happy when a family visits and all had a great time!! There is something to enjoy for all age levels. Kids seem to particularly like exploring the area for hidden outdoors adventures.
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
Cleaning Fee is $100. Rates are subject to change prior to reservation confirmation