Ocean & Bay View, High Hill Retreat(16 Reviews)
The manager has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:2-3 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
About the Property
3 bedroom, 2 bath, ocean and bay view
This house is perfect for family vacations and romantic retreats. Sandy ocean beaches, world-class golf, charter fishing, coastal hiking—this area has it all. Expansive view, elegance and comfort, family friendly equipment, large kitchen and dining area—this house has it all.
The upper level of the house is great for gatherings: the living room, gourmet kitchen and dining area are all one lofted space surrounded by a wraparound deck. The living room has a fireplace with raised hearth and plenty of soft, comfortable seating on our beautiful leather furniture. Every upstairs room has a sweeping view of forest, the Oregon coastline and the bay.
The kitchen accommodates several chefs at once with a central stove-topped island and plenty of counter top. Or barbecue on the 500 square feet of deck. The dining table seats eight with ease or reduces to a cozy dinner for two.
On warm days, have drinks on the deck at our bistro table. On cool days, enjoy a crackling fire while watching cable TV or a DVD, or playing a game with the family. WiFi is also provided.
1. The large upstairs master bedroom has a queen bed with a water view and a fireplace at the foot.
2. The private and cozy downstairs bedroom has a queen bed.
3. The third bedroom doubles as a second living room with warm pine paneling. You must pass through this room to get to the downstairs bedroom, so it is not suitable for adults needing privacy, but it’s great for the kids or a bunkhouse style retreat. It has two comfortable single beds and plenty of floor space for our Pack-n-Play cribs or camping-style mattresses on the floor.
The house is family-friendly. We provide a portable crib, a high chair / booster chair, a pack and play, expansion gates to protect the little ones from the stairs, cabinet protectors and outlet plugs and some toys, games, movies and picture books.
The house is located on a two-acre lot with a small level lawn and large sloping fields for outside play. There is a circular driveway that will allow a trailer with a 20-foot boat to pull through without backing. Parking is available outside in a secluded courtyard. Parking for additional boats can be arranged on a nearby lot.
We are located on the most beautiful temperate coastline in the world and the area offers something for everyone. Nearby are:
• Mile-long Bastendorff Beach for sand play, surfing and beach fires
• Charleston Marina with charter fishing, a boat launch, whale watching excursions, crabbing, clamming and oysters
• The famous Bandon Dunes Golf Resort with multiple world-class golf courses and restaurants
• Sunset Bay State Park for barbecue grills on the beach and summer swimming for the kids
• The Mill Casino Hotel for great food and entertainment
• Shore Acres State Park with its botanical gardens and gorgeous holiday light display
• Seal Rock to view hundreds of sea lions, harbor seals and elephant seals playing inside a secluded atoll and to maybe even see a whale cavorting in the cove
• The Cape Arago Beach loop for miles of easy walking along the wild coastal cliffs, viewing the spectacular scenery and waves cascading over the rocks.
Then return from the day’s activities to enjoy a roaring fire and share dinner in your gourmet kitchen. Or have dinner minutes away at a restaurant in the Charleston boat basin, at the Mill Casino Hotel or the five-star restaurant at the Bandon Dunes Resort.
The nearest airport is only 10 miles away: Southwest Oregon Regional Airport (OTH). During the summer months there are daily flights on United Airlines to San Francisco and Denver, and PenAir Airlines to Portland, Oregon. Private aviation is also accommodated.
Please note that we are serious about our NO PETS policy at this time. And we are very strict about our NO SMOKING policy. The primary renter must sign a rental agreement with the owner and provide a copy of their driver’s license. The contracted renter must also be 25 years of age or older.
Ask us about handicap accessibility.
We hope that each of our guests will return again and again, looking forward every year to their vacation time in this beautiful area. And we hope you will love the beauty, the comfort, the expansive view, the cozy fires, the artistry of this home, designed and built by our family patriarch.
Member since: 2015
- 2500 sq. ft.
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters:
- Children Welcome
- Non Smoking Only:
- Pets Not Allowed:
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 6-8
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
- Away From It All
- Tourist Attractions
- Botanical Garden
Local Services & Businesses
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Eco Tourism
- Gambling Casinos
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Whale Watching
- Wildlife Viewing
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Deepsea Fishing
- Fly Fishing
- Freshwater Fishing
- Jet Skiing
- Mountain Biking
- Pier Fishing
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Surf Fishing
- Water Skiing
- Child's Highchair
- Dining Area
- Seating for 8 people
- Clothes Dryer
- Hair Dryer
- Linens Provided
- Living Room
- Towels Provided
- Washing Machine
- Coffee Maker
- Dishes & Utensils
- Deck / Patio
- Lawn / Garden
- Outdoor Grill
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Dec 16 - Dec 22, 2016
2 night min stay
Dec 23 - Jan 1, 2017
3 night min stay
May 26 - Oct 28, 2017
3 night min stay
My Standard Rate
2 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Cleaning Fee $100
- Refundable Security Dep. $300
If booking over 30 days in advance, 50% of the rental fee, the entire security deposit of $300 and the cleaning fee of $100 are due at the time of booking. The remainder is due 30 days prior to stay.
If booking within 30 days of stay, the entire rental fee, security deposit and cleaning fee are due.
A copy of signed rental agreement and a copy of driver's license must also be received before booking is final.
Thank you for choosing High Hill Retreat. Enjoy your stay!
Manager's cancellation policy:
Cancelled bookings will not receive a refund.
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
If you love fishing, golfing, hiking along a gorgeous coast, sandy beaches or wildlife, this is the place to be.
• 5 minutes to long, sandy Bastendorff Beach
• 4 minutes to Charleston Marina
• 16 miles to the famous Bandon Dunes Golf Resort
• 6 minutes to Sunset Bay State Park Beach, swimming, basketball, tide pooling, hiking, golf course, volleyball, picnic grills
• 9 miles to the Mill Casino Hotel
• 24 miles to Tenmile Lakes County Park with a boat ramp, swimming area, water skiing and jet skiing
• 9 minutes to Shore Acres State Park
• 12 minutes to Seal Rock with hundreds of sea lions & harbor seals to view
• 15 miles to the North Spit and Horsfall Beach for miles of sand beach, wildlife viewing and surf fishing
• 3.5 miles to the beginning of the Cape Arago Beach loop
Catch these local festivals:
• Whale Watching Spoken Here (Shore Acres) - March 19-26, 2016
• Ahh Shucks! Oyster Feed - April 23, 2016
• Charleston Seafood Beer and Wine Festival - August 13-14, 2016
• Blackberry Arts Festival - August 27-28, 2016
• Oregon Shorebird Festival - September 16-18, 2016
• Octoberfish Festival (Right in Charleston Marina!) - October 2-4, 2015
• Shore Acres Holiday Lights (Spectacular!) - November 24-December 31, 2016
• Downtown Coos Bay Christmas Tree Lighting - November 25, 2016
• Christmas Miniature Village & Train Display (Just down the hill!) - November 28-December 24, 2016
• Whale Watching Spoken Here (Shore Acres) - December 24-30, 2016
Year Purchased: 1985
About: This house was designed and built by our family patriarch, Gordon S. Howard. Gordon was many things over the course of his life: a Broadway actor, singer, director, radio DJ and university professor. He was also a writer, sculptor and photographer. Many of the sculptures and photographs you see in the house were created by him. And—oh, yes—he was also a commercial salmon fisherman for a time out of Charleston harbor. Gordon loved to do all the food gathering he had done as a young man growing up in this area: hunting deer and elk, digging clams, catching Dungeness crab, fishing in the ocean, rivers and lakes, gathering blackberries, wild huckleberries and even wild hazelnuts. He loved to clamber over the rocky coastline, poking into secret coves, and he loved to have hotdog cookouts at Sunset Bay. His family loves all that too.
Why Coos Bay, OR, USA:
The story goes that when Gordon was looking for property on which to build his dream retirement home, he found this lot for sale. He crawled beneath the thick undergrowth to the center of the lot and climbed a tall tree. From that vantage point, he saw the view he knew he wanted for his dream house. Over the years, Gordon and his wife, Helen, were able to buy extra lots to fill out two acres of land and preserve their view for all time. A lot of love, woodwork-sanding and good family times have gone into this house. Now we share it with you. May you experience the magical peace this place gives us.
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
The House & View
The Wraparound Deck with Ocean and Coos Bay Views
Dining Room - Breakfast Bar - With Ocean View
Master Bedroom with View and Fireplace
3rd Bedroom or 2nd Living Room - Has 2 Twin Beds
Nearby Forest Trail
Local Salmon Fishing
Dawn from the Deck
Enjoying the Ocean from a Nearby Trail
Circular Driveway & Lower Yard
Living Room with Ocean View
Table Seats Eight
Upstairs Bathroom with Shower
Downstairs Bathroom with Tub and Shower
Meadow Below the House
Sweeping Bastendorff Beach - 5 Minutes Away
Local Lake Fishing
View from a Nearby Walking Trail Along the Coast.
Ocean View from All Rooms Upstairs
This listing was first published here in 2015.
Date last modified - Friday, December 09, 2016
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to manager
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.