Fabulous Artsy Home! Steps Away from the Ocean, Shops, Restaurants and More...(20 Reviews)
The manager has been emailed.
To book this property, you need to complete your booking through checkout on the VRBO website. We can't protect your payment if we don't know you've booked through us. Learn more
- Minimum stay:3-7 nights
- Property type:House
- Pets considered:No
- Wheel chair accessible:No
About the Property
3 bedroom 3 bath in a terrific location. Close to the beach, museums, shops.
You must know the history behind this house. In the early 1920s, Grace Merrill (a local painter) bought a small strip of land along a rocky ledge on Shore Road near Perkins Cove. Before a structure was built—even before she had a design for her new studio—she named the future home “Stonecrop” after the hardy flower that “clothes the rocks with starlike yellow bloom.”
Miss Merrill built Stonecrop with salvaged materials from an old barn and other local structures. She reclaimed the barn’s hand-hewn pine timbers to construct a 24-foot high great room, while a damaged 18th century dwelling supplied a stone fireplace and a unique staircase. As construction proceeded, she scoured the surrounding towns for wood, doors, windows—whatever she could find that fit her vision for the home. “From all sides, old materials seemed to pour in,” Merrill wrote. “All summer, my long-suffering car was adorned with bags of cement, old brick, and iron in varied shapes.”
The result of her vision is this unique house with a special history. Stonecrop has been a home to artists for much of the past century. Two previous owners, painter Ruth Seeger and printmaker Beverly Hallam, are still active in the Perkins Cove area. Current owner and photographer Dana Berenson welcomes you to Stonecrop. Dana is proud to inherit the creative legacy of Miss Merrill, and invites you to enjoy the house.
When you're ready to book, here are some tips to keep in mind.
Paying with a credit card on VRBO protects your payment for up to $10,000 against listing fraud. We recommend completing your booking on VRBO.Learn more
Member since: 2015
- 2450 sq. ft.
- Max. occupancy 10
Our house is super kid friendly. We have an outdoor basketball net that you can put in top drive way. There is space for kids to play in the back yard. (its not huge but big enough for some serious fun) Shore Road can be busy so little kids must be supervised if playing in the front yard. There are playgrounds in York that kids will love. ...moreless
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Wheelchair Inaccessible
Bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms, Sleeps 10, Beds for 8-10
- The Master suite is built for relaxation. It has its own stairwell for privacy. The color of the walls, the flow of the curtains, the queen-sized bed with tempurpedic mattress just begs you to take a nap or watch TV with cable. You can keep the room cool with the AC or I like to keep open the French doors which lead to a private veranda overlooking the stone cliff landscape. There is a giant walk-in closet - no need to pack light! I almost forgot, the bathroom is insane. Jacuzzis tub, large stunning shower, beach tile floors. It is sophisticated and lovely. Bedroom 2 is on the second floor. This bedroom is New England quaint. A queen-sized bed, armoire, built in drawers and it has the best full bathroom in the house. There is also AC and a ceiling fan. Bedroom 3 is downstairs. Dark green walls, cozy and tucked away. This room has AC and a gas stove so if it gets a little chilly, you can snuggle with a fire. Room 4 is the Den/TV room. There is a comfy pull out couch. ...moreless
Bathrooms: 3 Bathrooms
- Master bathroom. Everyone will fight to have the master bedroom because of the master bathroom. It has marble counters, beach stone floor, jacuzzi tub and separate shower with great water pressure. This bathroom is stylish and sophisticated. Bathroom 2. Everyone loves this bathroom. It is large and has the most amazing shower. (You can shower a slew of sandy little kids at once.) There are jets that hit all parts of the body. There are double sinks and tile floors. Lots of hooks for towels and robes. Bathroom 3 is very New England. Besides being lavender (people are always asking me what paint color I used) it has a deep claw foot tub with a adjoining shower. This is a great tub to bring a book and take have a soak. This bathroom is downright pretty. And if you ask nicely I will reveal the paint i used for it. We do supply shampoo, conditioner, and body wash so you do not have to pack tons of toiletries. We will also have extra paper supplies in the garage. ...moreless
- The location of StoneCrop is perfect. You can walk right into town to have some fun. Perkins Cove is 1/4 mile away and has some of the best restaurants around town. In PC you can book a day of deep sea fishing or a sunset sailing cruise. Barnacle Billy's is a must for dinner and drinks. In the cove begins Marginal Way, a beautiful coastal walk along the cliffs that will take you right into the center of Ogunquit. Ogunquit boasts one of America's greatest beaches (13th but we think it's #1), great shopping, fantastic restaurants and night life. We are located right next to the Ogunquit Museum of American Art. From the museum you can catch a shuttle to Ogunquit Beach. There is also a nearby shuttle stop to all the fun at York Beach. If you want to host a lobster dinner, I have left a phone number where you can order steamed lobsters, corn and hot butter and it will be delivered right to your door. When you are staying at StoneCrop you are truly on vacation. ...moreless
- DVD Player:
- Satellite / Cable:
- Away From It All
- Sports & Activities
- Tourist Attractions
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Live Theater
- Theme Parks
Local Services & Businesses
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Bird Watching
- Horseback Riding
- Miniature Golf
- Outlet Shopping
- Paddle Boating
- Scenic Drives
- Sight Seeing
- Whale Watching
- Wildlife Viewing
My personal opinion... behind the Museum of American Art is the best ocean view in the entire world. Honestly it is breath taking. Nubble Light House in York. Great view, then get an ice cream. ...moreless
Ogunquit is wonderful. THE BEACH! Harbor Candies a magical chocolate shop. So many bars and restaurants. To many to list. Leavitt movie theater showing current films. Shopping. Night life. ...moreless
- Golf Course Front:
- Golf Course View:
- Mountain View:
- Ocean View:
- Water View:
Sports & Adventure Activities
- Deepsea Fishing
- Jet Skiing
- Mountain Biking
- Sound/Bay Fishing
- Surf Fishing
10+ in the main dining room. The dining room is meant for big family dinners, lobster dinners and BBQ's with the outdoor grill. The 3 season patio also has a table that fits six. A great sea breeze...moreless
- Dining Room
- Seating for 10 people
- Air Conditioning:
- Clothes Dryer:
- Hair Dryer
- Iron & Board
- Linens Provided:
There are two. One upstairs one down. Downstairs has 22 ft floor to ceiling windows. This is where you will hang out with your family. Upstairs is where you will watch TV and play board games. ...moreless
- Towels Provided:
- Washing Machine:
- Wood Stove:
- Coffee Maker:
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Pantry Items:
Deck / Patio:
There is a deck by the grill and a patio in the front yard. You will spend more time using the patio in the front yard. There is also the four season porch. You can read or have meals there. ...moreless
- Lawn / Garden:
- Outdoor Grill:
|Dates||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Jun 17 - Sep 4, 2017
7 night min stay
My Standard Rate
3 night min stay
Additional information about rental rates
- Refundable Damage Deposit $800
- Tax Rate 9%
50% deposit is non-refundable. In the event of cancellation, rental agent will endeavor to re-rent the property and if a new guest is secured, rental agent shall refund the reservation deposit, less a service charge, to the canceling guest.
Manager's cancellation policy:
Policy available by contacting manager when booking
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
Adding our Vacation Protection services can make sure your getaway goes smoothly, no matter what. We offer Cancellation Protection and Damage Protection so you can truly relax.
There is so much to do here. For must-see and places to go i suggest.
* The Beach... everyday!
*York Village. A great beach and honky tonk town. Kids LOVE it. There are Arcades, pizza, shops an amusement park and zoo.
*Nubble Light House. Everyone goes. It is a must see. (Near York Village.)
Marginal Way. Walk it every morning with your coffee from Breaking Grounds.
If it rains... a day trip to Portsmouth or Portland. Portland is a tremendous foodie city.
Mt A for a day hike.
Rent surf boards or SUB from Wheels and Waves or Liquid Dreams. Take a lesson. There is surfing camp for kids.
The Scoop Deck in Wells. There is a lot of controversy about who has the best ice cream. TSD has my vote
Barnacle Billy's for a lobster dinner and rum punch.
EARTH Restaurant in Kennybunk. May be the best meal of your entire life.
Book a message with the Beachmere Hotel or Dragon Fly
Calluna is my favorite shop for gifts, clothes, flowers and more.
Year Purchased: 2005
About: Hi, my name is Dana and I am from "away." That is what people who were born in Maine call people who were not. "You gotta be born in Maine to be from Maine. " I hope by the time I am 90 they will call me one of their own. I currently live in Portland Maine with my husband, his 2 kids and our dog Millie. Portland is a fantastic city and you must visit during your vacation. It is a BIG foodie city. We can give you lots of suggestions of where to eat. I am a portrait photographer and until recently I owned an art gallery called StoneCrop Gallery. Yup, the gallery was located in the house you are looking at. There was a working gallery here since the 1930's. I have moved my portrait business to Portland and I plan on photographing every family from here to Boston. I grew up in Boston and I am a city gal through and through. When I was a kid to escape the heat of the summer we would spend time in the Cape, in the Berkshires, and also along the coast of Maine. All three places are near and dear to my heart.
Why Cape Neddick, York, ME, USA:
Why did I buy this house? Well I almost didn't. I knew that i wanted to live in Maine. That was a given. And i knew that i wanted to be in York or Ogunquit. I literally viewed tons of houses but nothing really jumped out at me. My realtor kept telling me that i should look at StoneCrop and that it was a unique and special home. When he told me that the house had an art gallery attached to it that was owned primarily by women, my interest was piqued. I was intrigued. So we set up an appointment to see the house. I walked into the main room of the house and i knew it was mine. It was love at first sight. I first lived in this house part time while managing the gallery, then in 2011 I moved in full time. I LOVE this house. Due to the craziness of life, i have moved to Portland Maine full time. This house needs to be lived in and shared. You will understand what i mean if you plan your vacation at StoneCrop. You will not want to leave. Before you ask, nope, it is not for sale : )
The Unique Benefits at this House:
Stonecrop's greatest feature is the great room with its 22 ft floor to ceiling windows. This is where you and your family will hang out after a fabulous day at the beach or shopping in town. While the adults are hanging out downstairs, kids can go upstairs and play games or watch TV. I have a good sized television with cable, with comfy sofa and giant lounge chair. Off the den is a bedroom with charming built in drawers, armoire, and queen sized bed. Who ever gets the upstairs bedroom will be a happy camper because the guest bathroom is off the hook. It has a volcano shower that everyone will fight to use. So keep it your secret and take that room. The master bedroom suite...let's just say whoever booked this vacation gets the master bedroom suite! Can you say jacuzzi tub, private veranda, and giant walk-in closet? Downstairs... dining room... deck... bedroom and open kitchen for lots of great meals... I made sure that you have a great place to sit and relax in front of the house. There is teak furniture with an umbrella and we have a fire pit that you can use. I say at the end of the day you should have a BBQ, a nice bottle of wine, and you can relax on this comfy furniture. Have a little fire and make some Smores! Did i forget to mention the screened in patio? There have been many summer cocktail parties and dinners in this room. The twinkle lights, the sound of the ocean... corn on the cob and lobster. Need i say more? Finally, you need a fun place for the kids to have as their own, right? Look no further than the charming summer cabin dubbed "le shed-teau." What was built as a quaint Maine summer camp cabin but relegated for years as a storage shed, has been restored to its original glory. Screened windows and a bunk bed! One last thing... did i mention that i am a photographer? A portrait photographer! If you book a week at the house and would like a family portrait, let me know and we can plan a time to photograph your whole crew.
- Primary: +1 2073709552
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Outside View of StoneCrop
Upstairs Guest Bedroom
Upstairs Guest Bathroom
Livingroom with 22 ft floor to ceiling windows
Upstairs Den w/ sofabed, air mattress, cable TV, DVD, Chromecast and games.
Upstairs Guest Bathroom
This listing was first published here in 2015.
Date last modified - Sunday, March 26, 2017
Enter dates to see accurate pricing
Booking confirmation within 24 hours
Peace of mind when checking out through VRBO
- We'll back you with our Book With Confidence GuaranteeTM
- You'll get comprehensive payment protection when checking out on our website
- We're always here for you with customer service available 24/7
Read more about our Book with Confidence GuaranteeTM
Send a message to manager
Anonymously report this listing
We appreciate your participation and assistance with our efforts to operate the most secure and trusted vacation rental marketplace in the industry
If you have any questions, please visit our Help Center.