Colcello ('Colle Cielo' - 'the Hill in the Sky.')
You sent a message to this owner.
- Minimum stay:Contact owner
- Pets considered:Ask Owner
- Wheel chair accessible:No
Citta di Castello chateau / country house description
Colcello is a 3-story country house in a stunning hilltop location with breath-taking 360-degree views.
It has a large kitchen/dining-room opening onto a dining terrace with vine-covered pergola. The fully equipped kitchen has a dishwasher,an island prep unit, and a separate laundry room.
On the second floor is a comfortable lounge opening onto a covered loggia, perfect for before-dinner drinks or shaded reading. Also on this floor is one double en-suite bedroom, plus one double bedroom with bathroom, plus a small lounge with quality sofa-bed. A spiral staircase leads up to a large third floor bedroom with half-bath, four single beds and a Juliet balcony.
There is a swimming pool, BBQ, 15 acres of woodland and olive terraces, and the best fig-tree in Umbria! The property has a private drive, electric gates and ample parking. It is a short 5-minute drive to a local riverside bar/restaurant, and twenty minutes to the local town, for farmer's market and supermarkets.
Your friendly on-site owner is available if needed, unobtrusive if not.
- Chateau / Country House
- 3 story
- Vacation Rental
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Housekeeper Optional
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters:
- Limited Accessibility:
- Children Welcome:
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Non Smoking Only
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 8, Beds for 8
Bathrooms: 2 Bathrooms, 1 Half Bathroom
Kitchen & Dining
- Dishes & Utensils:
- Coffee Maker:
- Living Room seats 6:
- Wood Stove:
- Washing Machine
- Iron & Board
- Hair Dryer
- Linens Provided
- DVD Player
- Satellite / Cable
- Music Library
- CD Player
Pool & Spa
- Private Pool
- Lanai / Gazebo:
- Outdoor Grill:
- Tourist Attractions
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Mountain View
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Services
- Wildlife Viewing
- Fitness Center
- Mountain Biking
- Freshwater Fishing
- Sight Seeing
- Health/Beauty Spa
- Live Theater
- Recreation Center
- Scenic Drives
- Winery Tours
- Bird Watching
- Città di Castello is a small, very ancient walled town on the banks of the Upper River Tiber. Cafès and restaurants enliven the little streets and the central piazza. Visitors can enjoy the evening after-dinner passegiata - the traditional socializing stroll around the town. Live music in the piazza is a common event on summer evenings, and a weekly farmers' market is also a busy social occasion. A smaller antiques market is held most week-ends. A recreation center with indoor and outdoor swimming pools is on the outskirts of the town. Tennis, thermal spa, health and beauty treatments are also available nearby, in the spacious grounds of a resort hotel. The property's location provides easy access to both Tuscany and Umbria, and the many famous picturesque hill-towns of both regions. It is an easy drive to Arezzo, which is on the main rail-line between Florence and Rome, making it possible to enjoy a car-free visit to both those historic cities. Arezzo itself is an ancient and cosmopolitan city, famous for its gold jewelry, its monthly international antiques street fair, and renowned frescoes in the Church of San Francesco. A pleasant 'day on the beach' is at the easily accessable Passignano, on the north shore of Lago Trasimeno, west of Perugia. Ferries cross the lake to little islands, and to Castiglione del Lago, a ruined castle on a promontory south-west of Passignano. Further south-west is Chiusi Scalo, with a national Etruscan museum and a chance to visit frescoed Etruscan tombs. Your route to Assisi passes the cathedral of Santa Maria degli Angeli. This cathedral houses the restored original church built by St Francis of Assis, a tiny gem, a shrine for pilgrims, and a complete contrast to the magnificence of the huge cathedral itself. In the mountains north of Città di Castello is La Verna, a beautiful working monastery where Francis and his followers would go in retreat. You can see the slab of rock which was his bed, and the chapel marking the spot where he received the stigmata on his hands. Modern pilgrims follow his route, which passes right by Colcello itself. Near La Verna is Caprese Michelangelo, the birthplace of Michelangelo. You can visit the room in which he was born, and the tiny chapel of his baptism. After sight-seeing Colcello offers a beautiful and welcoming place to relax, swim in the pool, read, eat and drink, maybe go to town for a cocktail and dinner. Benvenuti! ...moreless
ReviewsWrite a review
A Gorgeous "Hill in the Sky"
A Gorgeous "Hill in the Sky"
Fall was a fabulous time to be at Colcello. We picked loads of figs from the enormous old tree and plucked grapes from the arbor for dessert as we dined on the terrace with sweeping views of the valley. The house was well equipped and most comfortable, and the owner was charming, friendly, and a source of great information about the area. We would definitely recommend a stay here for a rural Italian experience close to lots of wonderful medieval cities.
- Guest Michele M. (Felton, Santa Cruz County)
- Date of stay 09/24/13
- Review Submitted 10/11/13
Recommended for: Families with teenagers, age 55+, romantic getaway, families with young children.
Umbrian idyllic choice
Umbrian idyllic choice
This property is the ultimate get away.After a few days there the layers of stress just peel away.The view from the front of the house defies belief …you really do feel that you are "On top of the world!".At night the lack of light pollution gives you an incredible view of the night sky and ample opportunity to see shooting stars. The house itself is spotlessly clean and full of rustic charm.The swimming pool also offers complete privacy and spectacular views.When we went it was fun to go and pick figs for breakfast whilst overlooking the heavily laden olive trees. The owner is so friendly and so helpful when needed.Florence is an easy trip away and the owner also gave such useful advice to enable us to visit pretty hill towns locally as well as really interesting trips to places like Arezzo,Urbino,Gubbio,Orvieto,and circular tours around Lake Maggiaro. We were also lucky enough to receive cookery lessons whilst we were there also arranged by the owner. We really thought that this property was great and could heartily recommend it.
- Guest JJ (England)
- Date of stay 08/19/13
- Review Submitted 09/29/13
Recommended for: Families with teenagers, age 55+, sightseeing, romantic getaway, girls getaway.
We stayed for two weeks,and they were two of the best weeks of our lives. We looked out across the olive terraces as we swam in the pool. We walked in the shade of the forested area, and in the garden. We sat on the terrace in the evenings staring out at the views. The local town had everything we needed, and a large market in the historical centre.The bar/restaurant just down the road by the river was really Italian. Florence is only about an hours train ride away, after an approx. 25 minute drive to Arezzo. It was an easy day trip. The house is large and comfortable with all the facilities we could ever ask for. The owner was great but respected our privacy. We will definitely be back !
- Guest Badger (UK)
- Date of stay 07/31/13
- Review Submitted 08/28/13
Recommended for: Families with teenagers, age 55+, sightseeing, romantic getaway, girls getaway, adventure seekers, families with young children, pet owners.
2014 2-4 guests/week 5-8 guests/week May 3 - May 31 Euro 650 Euro 850 May 31- June 28 850 1050 June 28 - July 26 1100 1250 July 26 - Aug 30 1300 1450 Aug 30 - Sept 27 850 1050 A 3-nights minimum possible,if available. Week-day arr./dep? Euro70 supplement.
Note: Until confirmed, rates are subject to change without notice.
Only pay using credit card, PayPal, check or direct bank transfer. NEVER pay by cash or instant money transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. Learn more
Don't forget your vacation protection! Get protected now
- Nearest Airport: Florence (also Rome, Perugia, Bologna, Ancona) at 100 Kilometres
- Nearest Train: Città di Castello(local 5Km) or Arezzo(main line) at 40 Kilometres
- Nearest Motorway: E45 (local 5Km) or A1 Florence-Rome. at 40 Kilometres
- Nearest Beach: Passignano, at Lago Trasimeno at 70 Kilometres
- Nearest Barpub: Sasso (very local) at 5 Kilometres
- Nearest Golf: Lerchi at 25 Kilometres
- Nearest Restaurant: Città di Castello at 10 Kilometres
Year Purchased: 1988
About the owner: Hello! My name is Ann, I speak English and Italian. I am easy-going, sociable, and very happy to welcome guests to this beautiful house in Italy. The Italian neighbours in the valley below Colcello, who are my very good friends of many years, have taught me to speak their 'Castellani' version of Italian, how to make pasta, and many other very useful things! Colcello is an old house, dating back to 1675, and it was home to many generations of Italian farmers and peasants. Part of the ground floor is my private apartment, so I am easily accessible to help with any information you may need, without encroaching on your privacy.
Why the Owner Chose Citta di Castello:
Italy is a popular vacation destination for guests from many parts of the world. The warmth and friendliness of the people, the food, the history, the art, the climate, the traditions, all play a part in making this a wonderfully diverse place. This area of Umbria was once occupied by Roman soldiers, and pieces of old Roman roof tiles are sometimes turned up when the olive terraces are plowed. Old Medici palaces in the nearby town are still in use as museums, galleries - and local council offices! There is easy access to many other fascinating places in Umbria and Tuscany.
The Unique Benefits at this Chateau / Country House:
*stunning views across hills and valleys *full of character *spacious, comfortable accommodation *swimming pool *very well equipped kitchen *lots of parking space
- Secondary: 530 322 5404 Skype #, call any time.
- Click Here to see All My Rental Listings
Fast food lunch!
Dining room and stair to 2nd floor.
View from the 2nd-floor loggia.
Third floor studio-bedroom.
Pool and hills.
The house on the hill in the sky.
Pool,olive terraces and St.Francis's old road.
Second floor living-room.
One of the 2nd floor bedrooms
Woodland at rear of house.
Market day in Città di Castello
There have been visitors to this page since the counter was last reset in .
This listing was first published here in 2012.
Date last modified - Monday, December 09, 2013
3 Bedroom / 2.5 Bathroom
Three services to protect your trip:
Protect your payments in case you need to cancel.
Guarantee the rental meets your expectations.
Ensure you're prepared in case of accidental damage.