Sweet, newly renovated cottage, in a blissfully tranquil setting on Lake Garfield in Monterey, MA. Secluded, private, yet close to amenities, the cottage sits on a secluded 9 acre wooded lot along with one other house. 100yd walk to the private dock (shared with the other house). Monterey is at a higher elevation in the Berkshires (above Great Barrington), so the air is cool and refreshing during most of the summer. The cottage has been completely renovated and is equipped with WiFi and air conditioning. New, open-plan kitchen has full range of appliances, including dishwasher. Full-size front loading washer and dryer. Living room contains a plush L-shaped sofa, flat-screen TV/DVD player with Direct TV package, wood burning stove, and lounge chairs. Indoor and outdoor dining areas. Workspace with desk and bookcase. The master bedroom has a queen bed with high quality gel mattress, antique dresser and antique wardrobe. The spare bedroom has a double on bottom/single on top/combination bunk bed, also fitted with high quality gel mattresses. Large porch with dining and lounging seating. Overhead fan and baseboard heat. Linens, blankets, pillows and towels provided. Outdoor lounge chairs, fire pit, propane BBQ grill, and x-large 2-person hammock. Canoe and kayaks.
A 15 minute walk from the cottage is the village of Monterey, MA. Dotted with pre-colonial buildings, it is a hidden jewel in the Berkshires. Pop into the Monterey General Store (established 1780), where you can buy gourmet provisions, take-away meals, freshly baked breads and pies, or have a delicious lunch on its riverside deck. Within walking distance there is an honesty farm stand where you can get the freshest veggies, as well as a farm that produces goat cheese from their own herd. Monterey is home to the historic Bidwell Museum. Monterey is a 20 minute drive from Great Barrington, where you can find a large variety of restaurants, grocery stores, theaters and shops. In addition, all the attractions of Great Barrington and the Berkshires are at your fingertips: Tanglewood, Kripalu Yoga Center, Norman Rockwell Museum, Hancock Shaker Museum, the Clark Museum, the WE DuBois Museum and the Naumkeag Museum.
Natural beauty abounds. The Appalachian Trail is nearby for hikers, and beautiful back-country roads are here for bikers. Your neighbors will include owls, eagles, herons, ducks, and possibly a curious baby bear (please don’t leave food outside!). A perfect, soothing get-away.
- Approximately 1,275 sq ft. Sleeps up to 5
- 1 queen bed in master bedroom. 1 double bed/1 twin bed (bunk) in second bedroom.
- Extremely comfortable gel mattresses
- Covered porch with sitting and eating areas
- Indoor and outdoor dining areas
- Propane BBQ grill with accessories
- Air conditioning
- Wood-burning stove
- X-large 2 person Hammock
- Outdoor lounge chairs with fire pit
- Fully equipped kitchen with new appliances. Full size range and refrigerator. Microwave and dishwasher. Toaster oven, coffee maker and blender. High quality pots and cooking utensils
- Full size front-loading washer and dryer
- TV with DVD and Direct TV package
- Linens, bath towels and beach towels provided
- Hair dryer
- Landline phone
- Private dock (share with main house)
- Dogs under 20 pounds allowed. $150 cleaning fee
A note concerning cellphone reception. We are in a natural area, so cellphone reception may be limited to texting. Alternatively you can use Skype, WhatsApp or the landline for voice calls.