About the property
- Estate4000 sqft
- Half Baths1
- Minimum Stay2 - 4 nights
Up to 7 separate cabins or units - 4-9 'bedrooms', 6.5 bathrooms, sleeps 12-37
Imagine your own private ranch resort with charming native-stone cabins, poolside cabana, 140' 4-story waterslide, lighted tennis court, 2850' airstrip, fitness center, full-court basketball, game room, hot tub, river rapids, fishing, abundant wildlife, miles of trails, and plenty of other activities for all ages.
PLEASE NOTE: This is an exclusive private rental (no other guests will be there) and is EXPENSIVE in peak season and only available to a select number of families each summer. Do not inquire until you carefully check the full Rates listed below -- including the notes at the bottom of the section. THE HOMEAWAY QUOTE SYSTEM WILL ONLY GIVE THE BASE RATE FOR THE SELECTED NUMBER OF GUESTS. EXTRA CABINS OR OPTIONS (golf carts, kayaks, etc) CAN BE ADDED LATER -- use the rate quote example at the bottom of this description (press More Details) for an estimate.
Red Sands Ranch is located on the crystal clear Llano River between the towns of Mason and Fredericksburg and is the perfect spot for family or friends reunions, corporate gatherings, or even tennis team retreats. There are four self-contained rock cabins plus 2 separate bunk-type units, a vintage Airstream, a Party Shed with LED TV, billiards and ping-pong, and a tennis court, all surrounding a massive 53ft pool with spa, grotto, and luxury Cabana with full stainless kitchen, WIFI, and 55in flatscreen. The nearly 1/2 mile of fast-flowing, rock-bottom river runs from the deep pools and spectacular 200ft red sandstone cliffs (featured on the cover of Texas Monthly Magazine) at the west end of the ranch, to more deep water and limestone bluffs to the east. A meandering path leads down to the perfect spot in the river to set a few lounge chairs and relax under an umbrella while the kids shoot the rapids in a tube or one of the available kayaks. For fisherman or paddlers, there is an amazing 2-3 hr trip that terminates at the ranch which is the highlight of one of the top twenty paddling trips in the state of Texas. The ranch foreman lives on the property about a mile away and is usually available to assist with whatever arises. For horse owners, there is a corral, tack room, covered stall, and miles of trails. And of course there are plenty of lounge chairs around the solar heated pool with separate hot tub and a secret 'mine shaft' cave with a little surprise inside the kids will enjoy. Red Sands Ranch is a special place you'll want to come back to year after year.
Accommodations: Total of seven (7) separate units -- THREE (3) ARE INCLUDED IN THE BASE PRICE. All air-conditioned with additional space heating, and hot water (plus spa heat) provided by one of the largest solar heating installations in the Hill Country.
- A Bunkhouse with 4 twin beds, Loft with 4 full beds plus 4 self contained rustic cabins that sleep from 6 to 8 (plus add'l cots and sleeping pads for kids), each with a wood fireplace*, full bath, stained concrete floors, covered porch, bedroom or sleeping loft, WIFI, satellite TV, and kitchenette (sink, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, toaster oven and one-burner cooktop). *Sunday House sleeps two (adults only) in a king bed and does not have fireplace.
Included in the Base Price (the following 3 units and up to 12 guests):
(1) The Fish Camp - a native sandstone cabin with local river-rock fireplace and chimney. The covered back porch includes a hammock and overlooks the river and huge pecan trees below. There is a full size pull-out futon downstairs and two full size beds in a sleeping loft -- accessible via ladder, plus an extra rollaway bed downstairs. The bath features an antique clawfoot tub and an outdoor hot shower.
(2) Lorenz House - the largest of the 5 cabins, named after the pioneer family that settled this section of the ranch in the mid-1800's. There is a queen futon sofa down and stairs lead to an upper loft with a queen bed and a trundle with two twin beds. This cabin is also built with local materials and sandstone walls inside and out from the century old rock fences found throughout the ranch, and includes a covered porch swing with views of the bluffs and mountains across the river.
(3) The Bunkhouse - 4 twin beds and a sink/vanity with beautiful views from a balcony cantilevered out over the pool. Note that access to the detached full bathroom is via lighted gravel pathway.
OPTIONAL UNITS (All four may be rented for $369/nt):
(4) Riverside Cottage ($139/night) - This Fredericksburg limestone cabin is the most private and has the best views of the river from inside the cabin or on the covered back deck from the hammock, rocking chairs, or cedar porch swing. There is a huge masonry fireplace and the unit sleeps 6-8 with a queen bed and futon sofa down and a full bed in the upstairs bedroom, along with two twin beds.
(5) Sunday House ($139/night adults only) - an updated historic representation of the quaint Fredericksburg homes built by the German pioneer ranchers for weekends when they came to town for church and supplies. This luxury unit features a king bed with full ADA compliant (wheelchair accessible) bathroom and covered porch with swing and easy access to the pool area and Cabana.
(6) Sunday Loft ($99/night) - this bunk-style unit is located on the upper level of the Sunday House (with a separate entrance) and sleeps up to eight with four double beds and a half bath. Access to an additional full bath via lighted pathway.
(7) The 'Sixty-Eight' -- New! - ($89/night) Beautifully renovated vintage airstream with a queen and two twin beds plus a full kitchen and bath.
The cabins are situated around a poolside cabana and a beautifully landscaped grilling area which includes a large charcoal grill, huge picnic table, smoker, firepit, and covered 'cantina' with four lounge chairs.
Simons House - built in 1860 by Conrad Simons and currently occupied by the ranch caretakers, is a classic German story-and-a-half structure with 2ft thick sandstone walls and hand-hewn oak headers supporting the doors and windows. The home is beautifully restored to much of its original character and is visible at the Ranch entrance.
- Striking 53' free-form pool and poolside open-air cabana with full kitchen constructed of old barnwood ceilings supported by huge hand-made wooden trusses. There is an over-sized gas grill, small oven, dishwasher, two refrigerator/freezers, built-in microwave, two sinks, soapstone countertops, marine-grade mahogany cabinetry, WIFI, 55in LCD satellite television with theater sound, BluRayDVD, and iPod inputs with speakers located throughout the pool complex. The curved 11ft cast concrete bar has eight rustic barstools plus a sectional sofa that seats 4-5. In the wintertime or during inclement weather, the unique steel and glass doors can be lowered to fully enclose the room.
- The Shack Party Shed. A favorite hangout area for the kids, features a flatscreen TV with Wii game console, dartboard, billiards with a competition-grade, removable top for table tennis, and lots of eclectic neon lighting and eclectic decor.
- Fitness Center with treadmill, recumbent bicycle, universal weight machine, dumbells, situp bench, and pullup/dip bars, satellite TV, and workout towels provided.
- The fully lighted tennis court includes a practice wall, and full-court basketball.
- Rolling hill country terrain (nearly cedar-free) with large stands of Live Oaks hundreds of years old and mountain views in all directions. In addition to horses and Angus cattle, wildlife is abundant and includes whitetail and axis deer, antelope, turkey, foxes, coyotes, bobcats, quail, dove, roadrunners, ducks/geese, eagles and more. The breath-taking stretch of river on the ranch includes everything from fast-moving rapids over a solid rock bottom for most of the length (where hard-fighting Guadalupe Bass are common) to slow, deep water at either end (where catfish as large as 35 lbs have been caught). Note that in order to preserve the quality of fishing at Red Sands, trot lines are not allowed. Note: river activities may be affected by drought conditions.
Disclaimer: Red Sands is a working Texas cattle ranch with inherent risks and hazards including, but not limited to, rough terrain, heavy equipment, deep and/or fast-moving water, wild animals, livestock, etc. and may not be ideal for vegetarians or unsupervised children.
Summer Rate Example (less for other seasons):
For the first 12 guests, a spring/summer rate may be $1395 for each weeknight and $1995 for Fri or Sat nights. Add $50/night for each add'l guest beyond the first 12, up to 23 more, for a maximum of 37 total guests (no charge for infants). This is your Base Rental Rate and includes the Lorenz House, FishCamp, and the Bunkhouse.
You may add extra units (Riverside Cottage ($139), Sunday House ($139), Sunday Loft ($99), or Vintage Airstream $89 nightly ($379 for all 3), and a pair of golf carts or Kayak/Bike Pkg for $350 for the weekend (or $475 for up to a week).
Finally, add the cleaning/linen fee of $350 and then 8% for occupancy tax and transaction fees.
Example: Group of 4 families (16 guests) for a 3-night fall rental, Thu-Sun with the golf carts. $995 wkday + (2)1495 wkend + $600 for the extra guests for a Base Rate of $4585. Add $417 for an add'l cabin (Sunday House), $350 golf carts, $350 cleaning and 8% taxes ($428) for a total rental of $5780.
Note: Privately owned family-oriented resort. No Youth groups or keg parties. Minimum age of 30 required to register your group.
Keywords: Waterfront, Ranch, Resort, River, Tennis, Pool, runway, airport, water slide, Cabins, Fredericksburg, Texas Hill Country, family reunion, Estate, waterslide, Riverfront, Fishing, Kayaking, biking, fly-in
© 2018 Red Sands Ranch, LLC. All materials contained on this listing are protected and may not be copied, reproduced, distributed, or published without the prior written consent.
- Response rate:
- Response time:
- within a few hours
- Calendar last updated:
- Apr 15, 2018
About John Gilbert
I grew up in Baytown, TX and then received Petroleum Engineering and MBA degrees from Louisiana State University (LSU). After spending a few years in California and Australia with various software companies, I moved to Austin, TX in 1991 and started my own business. After selling the company and retiring in my late 30's I quickly learned that I needed more activities than just playing sports all day, and wound up with 250 acres of raw land on the Llano River. Originally conceived as a few head of cattle and a couple of rustic, riverfront cabins around a firepit to spend time with friends, and my wife and three kids, it's since grown in scale and maintenance to the operation that exists today. Although years later, as a 5th generation engineer and wanna-be architect, I'll probably always be designing or building another 'project' at Red Sands but it has finally evolved to the stage where I can (almost) call it complete.
John Gilbert purchased this Estate in 2003
Why John Gilbert chose Mason
To see why just cut and paste the following link for an aerial tour and more property photos: http://fusion.realtourvision.com/m/ios-viewer.php?tourid=456456
What makes this Estate unique
Red Sands Ranch is a unique property specifically for guests that prefer an exclusive, private outdoor resort experience in a rustic, natural setting unlike anything available at the large hotel chain resorts. Although expensive, the total rental for a large group is actually much less than a hotel resort stay even before you buy that first $8 beer -- and you won't have to share the pool with 150 kids in swim diapers. The ranch elevation (1280-1400ft) and semi-arid climate of the area offers more comfortable summer breezes and cooler nights than most of the large metropolitan areas of the state. Other than the spectacular Texas Hill Country setting, the most unique feature of the property is the layout of the compound where the pool, cabana (kitchen/dining), firepit, tennis and all the other resort amenities, are part of the main gathering area (rather than some back parking lot) while the separate cabins offer peace and privacy just a few steps away. In addition to all the activities, kids are always captivated by the abundant wildlife, crystal clear river, and the sheer number of stars visible in the clear night sky. Come make some memories and experience the real Texas!
Pool / Spa
Local Services & Businesses
Sports & Adventure Activities
Check-in: 4:00 PM
Check-out: 11:00 AM
100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before arrival date. You must contact the owner directly to request cancellation.
The place was awesome & the owner made us feel welcomed
The ranch was clean and comfortable. It was the perfect spot of our meeting.
A wonderful get away from the hustle and bustle of life. Simple pleasures at a beautiful property!
The cabins are each unique and special. Lots of charm! The Sunday House was extra special! The pool and slide were a hit. Likewise the tennis courts and game shack! We kayaked and caught big bass! We took golf cart rides down to play in the rapids! The cabana was our gathering place, where we ate all our meals. The grounds were impeccable. Lots of areas to roam and explore! We took our family of 10 adults and 9 kiddos, 8 years old and younger. We will be coming back when the kids get a little older! Bring meals to cook on their big beautiful gas grill! We even heated our lasagna casserole in it! Wonderful speaker system inside and out for playing music. This destination is just as beautiful as it looks in the pictures. Maybe even more! The owner John was very nice and accessible with any questions we had!
Wonderful Winter Family Getaway
We had a wonderful time at the Red Sands Ranch. We were there just after Christmas, so it was too cold to fully enjoy all of the amenities, but we knew that going in. John was extremely helpful and quick to answer and of our requests and questions. His caretaker was wonderful and quickly and efficiently took care of our needs. John goes out of his way to send out pertinent information - be sure to read all of it and make sure to follow his directions out there as we found it a little tricky. The cabana and cabins are in good condition and well maintained. We took our extended family and everyone enjoyed our cozy time together. We can't wait to go back in the Summer!
We loved Red Sands Ranch and highly recommend!
Red Sands Ranch was perfect for a family reunion. Some family members flew in from Washington state and took full advantage of the warm October Texas weather. The different activities available were perfect for all ages including the tennis courts, ping pong table and of course the pool and water slide. We did not utilize the exercise room since the weather was amenable for hiking. We spotted many wildlife animals including herds of deer and a wild boar which thankfully was across the river in thick brush. The river was too low for kayaking but the fishing was great; and some family members even found some topaz among the rocks in the river and along the edge. The cabana with its full kitchen and proximity to the pool provided a central gathering for all rather comfortably. As for the sleeping accommodations, we found that the cabins offered enough privacy but with an openness that promoted togetherness. The owner was always available at all times during our stay to answer questions or make special provisions for us. We loved our stay and highly recommend!
Better than expected
This property is wonderful! While it took some time to get there from Houston it was worth it for a long weekend. The grounds are very well maintained and the cabins were more than I expected. Each cabin was unique and tidy with comfortable beds. I will be back and will bring my telescope next time to take advantage of the extremely dark skies!
Just as great the second time around.
Our company held our annual retreat at Red Sand last year and liked it so much we came back. This place has is all and John and his team are great to work with. Thanks again!
Although guests rarely leave the property during their stay, the quaint town of Mason is just 9 miles away with gas, groceries, and lots of shops around the historic courthouse square, while Fredericksburg with all of its shopping and attractions is about 35 miles to the south down winding country roads. One favorite nearby attraction is the Eckert Bat Cave where millions of Mexican Free-tail bats can be seen emerging from the cave on summer evenings -- about 10 mi away. Austin and San Antonio Airports are each 2hrs away. Mason County Airport (T92) is about 15 mi.
Rates & Availability
Additional information about rental rates
NOTE: Please read this section carefully before inquiring! The base rate includes 3 cabins and up to 12 guests. Rate does not include extra guests (beyond the first 12), add'l cabins, golf carts, or kayaks etc. Base Rate includes 3 Cabins: Fish Camp, Lorenz Cabin, and Bunkhouse (sleeps up to 16) Add $139/night for extra Units: Riverside or Sunday House, $99/nt for Sunday Loft, $89 for the '68 Airstream (or all 4 for $369) Upgrade BunkHouse to Riverside Cabin for $75/nt No fees for infants (not yet walking). 35 guest limit; WEEKEND RATE applies to Federal Holidays. NO REFUNDS FOR HOLIDAY WEEKEND BOOKINGS. Pair of Golf Carts or Recreation Pkg (5 Kayaks/5+ Tubes/2 Mtn Bikes) available for $350 wkend / $475 up to wk $1250 security deposit req'd -- may be higher for large or all-male groups Cleaning/Linen fee $350 -- $450 for groups of 20+. Extra guest fees apply to the maximum number for the rental period, including day guests.